Healthy snacks?

Options
I need to know some healthy snacks that you can eat? I always like to snack throughout the day but I am never sure if what I am eating is okay to eat large amounts of. I need ideas like healthy nuts,or good granola bars. I just need some ideas. Also what do you do if you are not hungry in the morning. I find myself not eating till like 12 in the afternoon. That is only the time I get remotely hungry?

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time being hungry early in the morning too...I'm at work by 6am so I snack. I have a hard boiled egg on my way to work (I premake them so I can just crack, rinse and go lol) and my new addiction is Nature Valley Granola thins...I usually have one of those when I'm done my bus runs. A little high in sugar but I'm not diabetic and I don't eat much sugar. Also Frigo or Polly-O light string cheese is good, 2% cottage cheese with a few slices of strawberries. Dry roasted unsalted peanuts or almonds when my IBS can tolerate them and I use my daily Shakeology as a snack rather than a meal replacement. I just watch what I put in the shake so the cals aren't too high but it's great for post workout and energy throughout the afternoon. I work out between bus runs and by the time I go for my afternoon runs I'm ready for bed lol. Also, one to to squares of dark chocolate (70& cacao) and sometimes I dip one into Smuckers All Natural pbutter if I'm craving Reese Cups (my favorite lol). Watch the Special K bars and those bars marketed for dieting...they pump them full of sugar and extra fiber and too much fiber pumped into processed foods don't agree with me. I prefer to get my fiber from real food like veggies. All of that is a marketing scheme anyway. Name some snacks you typically eat and maybe I can come up with a healthy alternative.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Ha! I meant TWO squares not "to" squares lol
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    granola bars are another name for candy bar! Try fruit, weight watchers yogurt, sweet potatoes & cinnamon. If you want protein, hard boiled eggs.
  • krchapman
    krchapman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Melissa - I found this list on line that I use. I try to keep my snacks ~200 calories on the days I don't work out (I'll bump it up to about ~300 calories on the days I do) and eat 2 hours in between my meals. This keeps me from feeling hungry and keeps the metabolism going. :)

http://keepwellfoods.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Smart_Snacking_for_Adults_and_Teens1.pdf
  • melissafranks90
    Options
    Normally I eat a lot of boiled eggs, and peanut butter. A nutritionist told me I had severe carb depletion because I wasn't taking in any carbs, and i felt weak even though i take energy supplements. it didn't make since to me, so I'm just lost on what exactly I should eat, for lunch I'll eat like 3-4 eggs with light salt and pepper. I only drink water all day. For lunch I'll have lunch meat no bread, and fruit. Somehow ever since I been eating like hatchet and jogging two times a day I'm still not losing weight :(
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    carbs? whole grain cereals like steel cut oats, cracked wheat, brown rice. whole grain breads.
  • fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    just made these - delicious snack

Low-Fat Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp butter, room temperature
    1/4 c plain unsweetened apple sauce
    1 large egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/3 cup white sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    2 cups old fashioned oats

Preheat oven to 375F.
    In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
    In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars. Beat in the egg, followed by the applesauce and the vanilla extract. Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
    Drop tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for about 8 minutes. Cookies will be very soft and chewy. Cook longer if you prefer a crisper cookie.
    Let cool on sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
    Store in an airtight container.
    Makes 2 dozen cookies.

Nutrition info per cookie:
    • Calories: 89
    • Protein: 2g
    • Carbs: 17g
    • Fat: 2g
    • Fiber: 1g