What is with the "princess" attitude? (for men, too)

Options
2»

Replies

• Heartpath
    Heartpath Posts: 33
    Options
    I guess when someone says, "he's a prince," that suggests he's a nice guy. At least when I've heard it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Actually, since I quit being a doormat, I've adopted something of a princess attitude, and intend to keep it that way until I'm in a position where at work and at home I'm treated with the dignity and respect I deserve. It's not that I think anyone is beneath me, I just know that no one is above me, and no boss, boyfriend, family member, or friend will be allowed to act as though they are.

This of course causes problems in my hyper-capitalist society, where it is still acceptable to use the term 'your superior' when referring to a boss. Hopefully I won't be here much longer, though.
  • Heartpath
    Options
    Sorry but your post puts you across as believing you are 'superior' to others and that they are 'beneath you'.

What is the 'Princess attitude' anyway? Confidence? Self-Esteem? Feeling sexy? Empowered? Acting with all the above? If that's the case then everyone should be a 'PRINCESS'.

I'll own that characterization. I DO believe I'm superior to someone who is purposefully mean to others simply because she appears to think she's better than having to put up with lardbutts, people who dress differently, people who dare to show their different ethnicity or hairstyle or approach to life, etc. I DO believe I'm superior to someone who would say something mean to a stranger for no other purpose other than to make that person feel bad. I DO believe I'm superior to someone who expects others to yield to what she wants, to give her what she wants, to do what she wants when she wants, and who freely throws a fit when she doesn't get the best before anyone else not because she's a good person or has done anything in any way deserving. Spending time with someone like that IS beneath me.

THAT is self-esteem. THAT is confidence. I KNOW I'm better than putting up with being dumped on. And I don't understand how someone can find a person with an attitude like that sexy.

I know some beautiful, sexy, confident women who own who they are and don't have to make other people serve their needs or feel bad to reinforce it. They are are a lot more real princesses than these other women. I know some awesome guys who care about others as well as themselves. Those are the real princes.
  • Heartpath
    Options
    [/quote] I dub thee "princess rant" rise your majesty:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

LOL. Look out, or I'll start swinging my scepter. Off with their heads!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I hate Princesses.
  • Heartpath
    Options
    Actually, since I quit being a doormat, I've adopted something of a princess attitude, and intend to keep it that way until I'm in a position where at work and at home I'm treated with the dignity and respect I deserve. It's not that I think anyone is beneath me, I just know that no one is above me, and no boss, boyfriend, family member, or friend will be allowed to act as though they are.

Expecting to be treated with respect is not the same as a princess attitude. That's self-respect. Being just as good as everyone else is not being better than everyone else.

That's one of the things that disturbs me about this attitude I see. Good people act like they deserve to be treated as if they're somebody's servant, as if what the mean person is saying is true. As if they say they are better than you and you agree, so you go along with how they're acting. So, good people suffer while those who do nothing to help others benefit. That just doesn't make sense.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    Some posts in the "worst comment made to you" thread reminded me of something I've wondered about for awhile. Where does this "I'm a princess and everyone is beneath me" attitude come from, and how do you deal with it? Men can get it, too, but I don't have a good word to describe men that isn't profanity. I don't understand how people who have that kind of an attitude get others to play along with it. Having been the target of "princesses," the attitude is just so repulsive to me, and once I see someone has it, I can't help but see that person as ugly no matter their looks. For a long time, I mistook having a healthy self-appreciation with this warped view, but I know now it isn't. I guess the best way to put it is that a REAL princess/prince is also "noble" in behavior and attitude, while these fakes just come across to me as being mean and self-absorbed.
    I do not call them princess, usually a less savory word that rhymes with witch. :) There however is nothing wrong with being confident, as long as your confidence doesn't require everyone around you feel like they aren't as good and cannot be as good as you are. Live and let live always works for me :)
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

Expecting to be treated with respect is not the same as a princess attitude. That's self-respect. Being just as good as everyone else is not being better than everyone else.

That's one of the things that disturbs me about this attitude I see. Good people act like they deserve to be treated as if they're somebody's servant, as if what the mean person is saying is true. As if they say they are better than you and you agree, so you go along with how they're acting. So, good people suffer while those who do nothing to help others benefit. That just doesn't make sense.
    So true. I wish I wasn't using my cell to post now or I would type a lot more on the subject but I am in complete agreeance.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

Good points, but once you've been a doormat, I find it's easy to be hypersensitive to being disrespected. I'm supposed to put up with crappy bosses, so says my society, it's all about that money, but I can't. So I have no place here anymore. I just won't let rude customers and co-workers and bosses mistreat me again, I'd rather starve, or take up a life of crime, but my first preference is to move to another country in hopes that somewhere, workers are treated like human beings instead of like verbal punching bags.

Oh yes, my last job was as a cashier, in case anyone wondered. Anyone who has ever worked as one probably didn't have to wonder. Horrible job, I think prostitution would afford more dignity.
  • CShepherd91
    Options
    I don't know if its just the area I live in, or the fact that my head is so far in the clouds that I don't notice, but I don't recall anyone ever going out of their way to be purposefully rude to me.

I work in retail - I have twatty customers. I have people that get angry and shouty. But they're never rude about ME, but rather the service or product they've received.

I wish everyone could live in a world where there were no 'princesses' (although, I love Kate Middleton, so as long as she still lives), but its a fact of life that people out there, thrive off upsetting people, and making them feel less worthy. That is never going to change. What needs to change is how we deal with it. You don't like my hair? Fine, I think its f'awesome and that's all that matters.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Dude, I know EXACTLY what you mean. When someone (male or female) has that attitude that everyone around them is "below" them... augh. It really makes me never want to associate with them. Ever. They just come across as shallow and rude and I just want nothing to do with them. Just an all-around downer.

So... ProTip: Don't be like that. #protip
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Dude, I know EXACTLY what you mean. When someone (male or female) has that attitude that everyone around them is "below" them... augh. It really makes me never want to associate with them. Ever. They just come across as shallow and rude and I just want nothing to do with them. Just an all-around downer.

I get red flags when i see pink or zebra-printed iphone cases and similar

#redflagbychanel
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    That shows that everyone is different, and online convo is not the best place for a healthy socializing. We all have flaws and fall short at some point, so we all would be deservedly called ugly if we see it that way. To some people that's a way to protect their pride or ego I guess..
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I get red flags when i see pink or zebra-printed iphone cases and similar

#redflagbychanel

All that does is red flag my tacky accessory alert! :laugh: