When Does Over Eating Become a Binge?

Options
Hi,

For me over-eating becomes a binge when I satisfy my hunger but something possesses me to keep going. I'm not talking an extra couple hundred calories, I'm talking about several thousand calories. My last binge was 50 days ago. I ate between 6500 and 7500 calories that day. It also took me about 5 days of extra exercise and decreased calories just to get back to square one. I have had only one binge on this weight loss program so far (99 Days In) but I know its not a matter of if but when the next one will be. WHAT IS YOUR IDEA OF A BINGE?

Replies

• strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I see binging as more of a psychological issue.. like when you can't control your eating and eating past the point you feel ill. Overeating is just taking in too many calories. Anyway that's my take on it.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    My idea of a binge is just continuously eating. Over eating is putting too much on your plate/in your bowl in my eyes. Binging is just eating for the sake of it until you basically feel sick - thats just my opinion :)
  • STShapiro
    Options
    Binging for me is when something triggers an event and then I zone out. Just eating until the emotional pain is gone. I've gotten better at controlling them turning to yoga and meditation has helped a great deal.
  • RainAndPain
    Options
    Anything over 500 calories is a binge for me.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ohhh, back when i was eating like a horse, i would eat 3 pb&j sandwiches in between lunch and supper. 1 quart of ice cream before going to bed. Snack on junk food all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine how many calories i was eating a day. But no more..............I have kicked the sugar addiction. YAY for me.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I actually plan a binge-- like I make a bunch of pasta or get a whole pizza and chicken fingers knowing I will eat it all.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I consider a binge to be when I eat much more than I wish to of unhealthy foods, sometimes to a point of feeling really full, and then am overtaken by panic and a strong urge to get rid of it all. My most recent binges were a 12 hour period where I got through 2 loaves of fruit bread with honey. An evening where I got through about 16 chocolate bars, such as snickers and mars. And the other evening when I got through about 6 ice cream bars, a tub of ben and jerrys and 8 cookies. I don't just binge though, I purge which is a bigger issue for me than binge eating since it can be dangerous.

Binge eating is a new thing to me, I just tended to eat the things I wanted, sometimes in larger than normal amounts (the occasional large bag of chocolate buttons) but not bingeing. Binge eating has started since I started doing a lot of cycling and went down to my current weight. I guess my body doesn't like it's current weight or something. Considering I was once severely anorexic, I find it almost disappointing that I have gone to the other extreme and sometimes can't stop eating.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, I got into occasional purging as well, but I guess I really wasn't binging, the way you and others have described it. I'd feel guilty for eating a large order of chop suey or something along those lines.

Once I found out (which I'm sure you know) that most of the calories are already absorbed before you purge, you're only ridding approx. 25%. That was a deal killer for me.

Good luck with working through the issue.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have to congratulate you for sticking to the programme 50 days without a binge. Well done!

My idea of a binge is where I'm continuously eating to satisfy my taste buds, my cravings, not my stomach. I'm not even aware of how much I'm eating but with MFP it has made me more aware and it is quite shocking to find how many calories in just the one piece of cake!