How much fruit??

Options
Raynn1
Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
How much do you consume in a day?

Ive basically been told that my reason for not being able to lose weight lately is because I eat too much fruit in a day. I average about 3-4 servings of fruit in a day. I tend to eat anything from Melons, to berries to apples and bananas. Its my go to snack, its a favorite thing to eat and I love them.

Now, this person is a huge follower of the GI Diet/Plan and fully believes that because I eat 4 servings of fruit, it is the main reason that my weight loss has stalled, and that Im "delusional" for making up excuses like Im not eating enough, or my body needs to "reset" itself. Fruit is the reason I can't lose weight, and I am an idiot for not believing her...So Im curious.. do you eat a lot of fruit? Are you losing weight while consuming fruit?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    GI is pretty much meaningless unless you're diabetic, it's calories in calories out. You're right to ignore your friend's advice.

My weight loss has been slow & steady and I eat anywhere from 3 to 5 pieces of fruit (along with the dreaded banana) and a serving of blueberries daily.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of grapes everyday and usually about 30 blueberries daily as well.
    I also eat pineapple and peaches- but I don't usually exceed two cups of fruit a day.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fruit. Remember, weight loss is calories in < calories out. The fruit isn't causing your problems, but if you eat 4000 calories worth of fruit, you're going to gain weight. It's all about the calories!
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    i like fruit and do agree its a good snack. it is high in sugar but its natural sugar and still tends to be lower in cals than other snack stuff if it bothers you too much try changing 1-2 to raw vegetables. there is a ot more foods to worry about rather tahn fruit through
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much fruit. Remember, weight loss is calories in < calories out. The fruit isn't causing your problems, but if you eat 4000 calories worth of fruit, you're going to gain weight. It's all about the calories!
    This.
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    unfortunately i was having the same problem as you. I figured since fruit is raw and whole that having 5 or 6 servings a day of fruit wasn't doing me any harm even though most days I would be way over my daily sugar and carbohydrate allotments. I've since cut back on fruit, having around 2 to 3 servings a day and sure enough the weight is starting to come off.
    I'm glad I figured out why i wasn't making any progress but I'm also upset that I have to limit my fruit since I LOVE fruit.

It never hurts to give to give cutting back on fruit a try.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 servings of fruit day. The thing with fruit is that you have to make sure that a serving of fruit is actually a serving. It's easy to over-indulge on berries, grapes, melon, etc. and what some people consider a serving might actually be equivalent to 2 or 3 servings.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I eat a lot of it some days, other days I don't really touch it. I just count it like anything else.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    I eat 3 servings of fruit day. The thing with fruit is that you have to make sure that a serving of fruit is actually a serving. It's easy to over-indulge on berries, grapes, melon, etc. and what some people consider a serving might actually be equivalent to 2 or 3 servings.

Yes, this.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options

This was a problem for me.... My worst was that I was eating 1 apple thinking it equaled 1 serving - well when it is a huge apple it is closer to two servings.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This.

You'll also be glued to the crapper for a week, but that's another matter :P
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you for this. I think I do need to take a look at my serving sizes again. It is possible they have grown a bit and they are closer to 5-6 a day rather than 3-4

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I eat fruits like bugs bunny eats carrots. I am losing on average of 1.5 lbs per week so far. I have no science to backup eating fruits = good but I havent read fruits being bad for anyone besides diabetics (due to the sugar in it). My opinion: Since I have never seen a fat man who eats lots of fruits and since fruits are completely natural thing, eat that apple and be happy :)