KT Tape

Options
I have had a lot of injuries in the last year, and I'm sure more are coming, I'm just that person I guess. Last summer I was in a car accident and fractured my neck, and I also have runner's knee in my right knee. Working my fitness levels back up to where they were last July has been a struggle and excruciatingly painful. My doc is very keenly observing all of this so that's not the issue, please don't tell me to go to a doctor haha.

Anyway, a physical therapist from another military branch recommended I try to use KT tape on my knee and since I still have pain in my neck he even suggested that I try it for that too, just to see if it helps. I was just wondering has anyone else ever used this stuff? I ordered some online (KT Tape Pro) but it won't be here for a few days, just looking for any advice you have. Thanks :)

Replies

• jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I love my KT Tape. I only just got it and I've been calling it Miracle Tape based on the fact that I went from wondering last week if I'd be able to run my half marathon this morning due to the pain in my knee and ankle. I got the tape on Thursday night, put it on my knee, and when I stood up, the pain was gone.

Wednesday night I had to get off the treadmill and do the ARC Trainer because it hurt so much. Thursday night, I went a ran my normal three mile run without feeling a hint of soreness.

Since the brand I got (RockTape) said that it would last up to five days, I just left it on. And I felt no pain in my knee or ankle at all over the following days.

This morning I taped my other knee and went ahead and taped both calves as well, since they get really painful on long runs and also are the worst recovery spots for me.

I ran my half in a 9:32 per mile average pace, up and down the hills of San Francisco, and didn't have any pain until the last three miles or so, and that was only a twinge in my right knee. Pulled all the tape off about 30 minutes after I finished and walked all over the city with my husband and parents without any problem. After my 13 mile training run two weeks ago, I could barely walk at all when I finished, which was consistant with my 12 and 11 mile training runs.

So really, I will now likely swear by the stuff for my long runs. Honestly, with my shoulder issues (genetic thing), neck/back issues (old injury) and my knees and ankles, I sorta wish I could afford to just always be taped up. lol

Just make sure that you pay close attention to the application directions. I read the guide and watched the online videos a couple of times before applying mine to make sure I was doing it right. Anytime you're affecting muscles, you want to make sure that things are done right or you could end up hurting yourself more.
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting this stuff in my PO box in a few days, just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting my hopes up for no reason at all. My neck has really been bothering me again lately and I really hope it helps with that, but if not at least it will hopefully help with my knee. I have my fitness test this week and I really need to do well since I've had so many injuries this year. I feel like I need to prove that I'm still in the game, ya know?