Android apps

Options
Hi all!

Does anyone know any cool (free) android apps that help with weight loss?? I know of one called "drinking water" that helps remind you to drink water, but I was wondering if there were any other ones worth while.

Also, feel free to add me! The more motivation, the better! I'm 20-years-old and looking to lose about 40 lbs.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it! :happy:

Replies

• michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The obvious is the MyFitnessPal app. If you don't already have that, get it!

There are a bunch of apps to help you with different exercises. For example, to train you to get up to 100 sit ups or 100 push ups. Just type in the type of exercise you want to do, and you're sure to find several apps for it.

There're also some apps that do HIIT timers (high intensity interval training). It's a timer that you can set up to do intervals of intense exercise (running or jumping rope, for example) and rest. (Like say, 5 sets of 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off, plus warm up and cool down.) Mine is just called HIIT Timer.

I have a simple stopwatch timer that I use to time how long it takes when I walk up to the store or the park or whatever. It's just called Stopwatch.

There are some running/wallking apps that will keep track of how far you've gone, how fast, and for how long, but I have had a lot of trouble with these not working properly. I guess they aren't getting good GPS signal where I am or something, but last time I used one it was WAY off. One of these is called MapMyRun.

There's an app called Workout Trainer that offers entire programs for working out, but most of them are not free. Still, I checked out one of the free programs, and it did look promising.

There are some pedometer apps, like Accupedo. I don't know how accurate these are.

There's Nike Boom, which says it syncs your workout with your favorite music. Not sure how that works, exactly.

I see a bunch of apps that do things that MyFitnessPal already does, like track weight, calories, or give you nutrition information on the foods you eat.
  • kasafrass
    kasafrass Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the info!
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Besides MFP, I use Libra. It is a weight tracking app that produces a trend line to smooth out daily weight fluctuations. Using the trend line, it can also analyze your calorie deficit (or surplus) which I find to be good check on MFP's values and predictions. It is good for people who are in to numbers and stats, like me. It's not so good if weighing in every day and seeing the scale change arbitrarily bothers you.
  • kasafrass
    Options
    Hmmm...thanks for the tip. I'll have to check it out!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Check out Zombie Run. You're a survivor of the Zombie Apocalypse and walk/run to complete tasks, stay alive and help the other survivors.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I used noom, not to keen on the calorie side. But the walking tracker was great.
    In the end I deleted the app, this is a much better site.
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    Check out Zombie Run. You're a survivor of the Zombie Apocalypse and walk/run to complete tasks, stay alive and help the other survivors.

the good zombie run app isn't going to be out til summer.. (if you are looking for the one originally developed for the iPhone)... the one on the Android market right now, is horrible. I was highly disappointed. I used it once and deleted it
  • twiztid_princess
    Options
    Besides MFP app. I use runkeeper. I'm not going to have a gym after the end of the month so I need to track how far i walk/jog/run. It seems to work well, it uses GPS, so I don't know if it will work if you live in the middle of no where.
  • Selk68
    Selk68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great apps for fitness & nutrition!
    Over the past three months, I have narrowed it down to three that I use daily (two directly, one indirectly)
    MFP (actually found the app first, then this site... hehe..)
    RunKeeper - keeps track of my daily walks...
    Earndit - connected through RunKeeper & FourSquare to add up points for walking (RunKeeper) and Gym Check-ins (Foursquare) to save up to earn rewards...
    :)

ETA: link to other programs that work with RunKeeper: http://runkeeper.com/apps
    There is a pay version; but, I use the free one... I have not paid any money for any of the apps I've mentioned... :)
  • kasafrass
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to download some of these
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    bump