Bruising from spin class, possible TMI

Options
Hi,
This might seem like a silly question for some people but I'm in a lot of pain here.

I don't like using exercise bikes in the gym because they hurt my bum way too much but decided to try a spin class as I though the combo of standing and sitting would be ok. Yesterday I went for my first spin class and didn't find it painful as there was enough variety in the positions, however later in the day I developed some really sore bruises at the top of my inner thigh, basically my groin for want of a better word. Have any other girls experienced this and did it lessen with subsequent spin classes?

I'm not overweight and am reasonably fit from running/pilates but wanted to do something like spin to build my leg muscles a bit more. I really enjoyed the class but I'm still in so much pain I couldn't wear jeans today and have to sit squinty to take the pressure off the bruises. I'm really short (5ft), could the bike just be too big for me or should I persevere?

Replies

• nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. When I started spinning my butt hurt so bad I could barely sit and I had to stop in the middle of a class because it hurt so bad. Eventually your butt gets used to it and it doesn't hurt any more but that takes a couple weeks of classes. They do make spin bike shorts with padded butt cheeks and that helps some. Its just like when you first start running your legs hurt afterward then eventually they don't hurt. Keep at it!
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Ditto. I used to do spin 3x a week. The first couple of weeks were torturous on my bum. But you get used to it. I wish I could take up spin again. I loved it. Ride it out (pun intended)! :)
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did my first spin class and later that night and the next day were horrible. The following week I went to my second class and again I bruised but it was not nearly as bad. I would say stick with it! It is a great workout and lots of fun.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Did your instructor help you set up you bike so the seat and handlebars are positioned properly for you? That might help a little but it's definitely something you get used to. Keep at it, I love my spin classes!
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had bruises. I've had pain while using an exercise bike before but never bruises like this. Will give it another couple of shots and hope it's not so bad next time. I've seen the padded shorts but they were quite expensive and I'm on a really tight budget at the moment, maybe I'll just wear 5 layers of shorts and leggings next time haha!
    Did your instructor help you set up you bike so the seat and handlebars are positioned properly for you? That might help a little but it's definitely something you get used to. Keep at it, I love my spin classes!

No the instructor turned up really late so there wasn't time for questions before class. I had the bike at hip height as advised by a previous gym instructor but maybe this isn't right for spin. The seat was at the lowest height possible but I'll ask the instructor to check next time.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    Options
    Seat should be around the top of your hip. But butt soreness is normal when you first start spinning. When I first started I did 5 classes in 16 hours (certification weekend) and my butt was so brutally sore I could barely walk for days. Now I can teach two classes in a day and be fine. Your body will get used to it. But in the meantime you can get some padded shorts or a padded bike seat to help ease the pain. Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's another reason why I recommend that people not just walk into a spin class and start pedaling away -- esp a longer one like 45-60 minutes.

I would think that people would be better at thinking about this, but maybe that is unrealistic and I am 100% off.

In general: any time you start a brand new activity, try to go through a "pre-conditioning" program. If you want to try spinning, spend a couple of weeks on a spin bike (some clubs let you go in the room on your own or have some on the floor), or at least ride a regular stationary bike for awhile. The same with running, lifting weights, or switching to any new program. And pace yourself in the beginning.

Or not. I know some people seem to like feeling beat up and sore the day after working out, so to each his own. But if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, you don't have to go through that.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Azdak I get what you're saying but I often do 15-20 minutes on an exercise bike before it gets too sore and this was just a half hour spin session so I didn't think it would be too much of a jump. I don't mind a bit of DOMS but bruises are not my idea of fun.

Thanks Catjag, will try again once my legs go back to a normal colour! Will keep my eye out for cheap padded shorts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak I get what you're saying but I often do 15-20 minutes on an exercise bike before it gets too sore and this was just a half hour spin session so I didn't think it would be too much of a jump. I don't mind a bit of DOMS but bruises are not my idea of fun.

Thanks Catjag, will try again once my legs go back to a normal colour! Will keep my eye out for cheap padded shorts.

It was a general statement. Obviously I don't know all of your facts so I didn't mean to make it sound too specific. I read incidents like yours a lot and it seems like often people don't understand and just go full speed into a new activity. It doesn't sound like that happened in your case.

I do know from painful experience exactly what you feel so maybe I got a little carried away trying to prevent that for someone else.