I changed my carb/protein/fat percentages

Options
Marefr
Marefr Posts: 39 Member
I changed my goals to 50% carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. Is that an suitable breakdown of what we need? I definitely needed more protein and felt like I didn't need so many carbohydrates.

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Who told you you need more proteins ?
    what are your goals today ?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i'd follow the DRI
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    What DRI means ?
  • Marefr
    Options
    I ran out of protein too fast and I read that MFP sets up pretty low percentages for protein so I adjusted mine. I also looked up DRI which I never saw before and found some interesting things: Dirty Rotten Imbeciles, Desert Research Institute and Disaster Recovery Institute. I don't imagine DRI means any of those in this context:) My question remains: I don't know if 50/25/25 is nutritionally sound. Thanks for any help.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The average person doesn't need 50% of their calories from carbs unless they are running marathons.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    45 Carb
    25 Protein
    30 Fat
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    50% carb is a LOT of carbohydrates. If you're expending a lot of energy on a normal day, this makes sense. Otherwise, it's not beneficial to your body composition.
  • marathonmaniac51
    marathonmaniac51 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    50% Carbs might be slightly high but it depends on what your goals are. And just as important is where you get your Carbs. Fruits and Vegs or Bread! 50% isn`t way off in my opinion.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your goals are and how many calories you're eating. In terms of protein, for example, 25% of 3000 and 25% of 1500 are very different things.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's how I have my ratios set, and I'm perfectly happy with it. But really, I just focus on getting a minimum of 100g protein (but usually significantly more), and let the rest fall into place.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump ....definitely want to see the feedback on this!

I am now at maintenance calories and my goal now is muscle. I've been doing some research and I calculated my macronutrients (per www.bodybuilding.com) and adjusted mine to....

45% Carbs
    20% Fat
    35% Protein

I'm not certain how accurate this is since as we all know, everything we read on the web is not gospel, lol. But I'm going to give it a shot for a little while. We shall see......
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Check out this link it is a long read but there is some great info. I ditched going by the percentages a while ago.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&page=1
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do 20% Carb, 40% fat, and 40% protein.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Depends on a lot of things...what do you eat? Are you looking to hit specific numbers for either Fats, Protiens or Carbs...

I know personally I learned I do better with lower carbs so I manually set my goals to reflect that so I do 25% Carb, 35% Protien and 40% Fat
  • Marefr
    Options
    50% is actually a reduction from what MFP set up for me as the "guided" goals. MFP set up 55% carbs. I think I'll reduce it to 45% carbs and 25% fat and 30% protein. I'm still learning and experimenting to see what helps me lose and helps me feel good. I exercise to burn about 450 cals/day (and then I eat those calories).
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i have had good success with 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat just making sure to get whole grain carbs, lean proteins and my fat from olive oil, nuts, nut butters and avocados.
  • yisus_
    yisus_ Posts: 4
    Options
    Check out this link it is a long read but there is some great info. I ditched going by the percentages a while ago.

If you haven't checked this link. Please take some time to do so and read.

Body doesn't work in %s.

What I usually suggest is having a minimum fat (0.45g/lb) and minimum protein intake (1g/lb), and fill the rest of the daily calories in carbs or protein.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

If you haven't checked this link. Please take some time to do so and read.

Body doesn't work in %s.

What I usually suggest is having a minimum fat (0.45g/lb) and minimum protein intake (1g/lb), and fill the rest of the daily calories in carbs or protein.

Agreed - this is how I got my % - figuring out how many grams of protien and fat I should have and manually putting that in -everything else going to carbs which is how I wound up with my %