Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Options
I have a heart rate monitor but it doesn't do calories so I'm in the market for a replacement. I'd prefer one that has both the standard functionality (I guess it uses some sort of RF signal) and bluetooth capability and is compatible with Android phones. I don't think the strapless varieties are there yet so probably a model with a chest strap would also be best.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• dasblondie
    dasblondie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AActon28
    AActon28 Posts: 32
    Options
    If you want bluetooth and android compatibility your best bet is probably something from polar. If these are not a necessity for you, I would recommend the sportline duo. It has caloric output and I picked mine up for only 24 bones on ebay. It has worked without incident for over a year now.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar. It has the chest strap. They have several models. You might look into that brand and see if it's what you want. I bought mine at my gym (Lifetime Fitness). The one I have can be set up for "zone" training, which I love. It counts calories and probably does a ton of other stuff I'm not even aware of.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    sorry posting on wrong thread
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sportstracker has one.
    Endomondo has two models. A Polar wearlink and a Zephyr HxM.

I have no experience with these models of HRM's. I do run the apps on my Droid for outdoor exercises.
    The HRM's are supposed to link with the apps running on a Droid and your Droid's GPS. It will then give you a map of your activity, time, distance, speed, average speed, elevation, laps, voice prompts for various parameters and so forth. Later you should be able to scroll through your workout and see your speed and heart rate as you climbed a hill or ran from zombies.
  • mfaine
    mfaine Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I eventually went with a Polar FT80. There were a lot of critical reviews but apparently they have worked out the bugs in the newly manufactured units. I will post a review here after I've used it for a while. It hasn't even shipped yet. I was going to go with the FT60 but you must purchase the upload add-on separately for the FT60 but not the FT80 (which is a new model) so they come out very close in price, so I may as well get the newer model. I'm don't think I care much for what it looks like but I guess I'm not really buying it to make a fashion statement.