One indulgence won't hurt

Options
I just wanted to shoot this out there to people who are stuggling to stop eating certain foods. For some of you it may be fried foods, sweets, alcohol or salty snacks. One thing that has helped me and keeps me motivated is that once a week I pick on meal to spludge. Whether is a beer or two, a scoop of ice cream or some french fries I will have one of my "no no foods" once a week.

So for the other 6.5 days I self motivate myself to not eat those foods in anticipation for my weekly treat. Now there are boundaries to doing this. So because I'm treating myself to ice cream one day doesn't mean that I can eat a whole pint or gallon. I typically will have my treat at a restuarant or someplace where I can't take it home. That's the key. You can't bring this stuff home it must stay outside the home. You go out and treat yourself and leave it there. Remember it won't take much to "feed the beast" so be mindful and don't over do it.

This has helped me from stumbling during the week and over doing it. Plus its like I get a gift every week to my self for doing good.

Everyone keep up the good work.

Replies

• ahicks55
    Options
    I just wanted to shoot this out there to people who are stuggling to stop eating certain foods. For some of you it may be fried foods, sweets, alcohol or salty snacks. One thing that has helped me and keeps me motivated is that once a week I pick on meal to spludge. Whether is a beer or two, a scoop of ice cream or some french fries I will have one of my "no no foods" once a week.

So for the other 6.5 days I self motivate myself to not eat those foods in anticipation for my weekly treat. Now there are boundaries to doing this. So because I'm treating myself to ice cream one day doesn't mean that I can eat a whole pint or gallon. I typically will have my treat at a restuarant or someplace where I can't take it home. That's the key. You can't bring this stuff home it must stay outside the home. You go out and treat yourself and leave it there. Remember it won't take much to "feed the beast" so be mindful and don't over do it.

This has helped me from stumbling during the week and over doing it. Plus its like I get a gift every week to my self for doing good.

Everyone keep up the good work.
  • jreeves1
    Options
    I got that same advice last week & it's the best advice I've gotten in a real long time. It really helped me do good for the whole week. However, instead of just one thing, I pretty much made it the whole day of eating what I want. I don't plan on doing this every Sunday & hopefully I will not want all that food after awhile, just one or two things like what you said. I plan on working out too on my "cheat day"
  • delightedin
    Options
    I agree with all you said, but I think when a food is an addiction, to the point where it causes cravings, and gives you headaches when you don't have it, it's good to cut it out altogether. There are ways around this too, for example, tell yourself you're only going to give up a certain foodstuff (for me it's sugar overall but particularly in chocolate) for 21 days - this is the amount of time needed to make or break a habit apparently!! After that time you can reward yourself - but not with food!!! This is a key, I think when you see food as a reward, it's a danger zone! Food to live and to enjoy, but not as a reward. I intend to get my hair done, or get a massage, or buy a new top or something.

Just my ideas. You're very wise in teh taking a break thing, being too rigid is the key to failure!!

Good luck!