Half marathon

Options
Thinking of doing the chicago half marathon in sep. I only run about 3-5 miles 5 times a week. Not sure I am ready. Any advice? Anyone ever done one?

Replies

• jenlwren
    jenlwren Posts: 41
    Options
    You run a good amount. I am running coach but do not try to solicit services here.

I would go to jeffgalloway.com and get yourself a training schedule. You will need about 13 -15 weeks to train. Since you are already up to 5 miles start with the week that has 5 miles as your long run for week 1.

I am training right now for the Rock N Roll half marathon in VA Beach..

These races are great and you feel great afterward. I trained a friend that was about 60lbs overweight 2 yrs ago and she completed her first half in Feb 08.

Good luck and happy training.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I use the runners world smart coach to train for mine. It is great.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

After looking a lot of training program this works on not just getting to the distance but doing it in a reasonable time goal. It tells you what to expect in the end. I know I get so nervous before a race I don't want to have to worry about adding a couple extra miles that day.

Good Luck. Mine is in December.
  • ds_mom
    ds_mom Posts: 3
    Options
    I just decided to do a half marathon in October! I am not a runner, I usually use the elliptical at the gym. I am really excited and nervous since I just ran a mile and a half and it kicked my butt! Once I get better at it I will start a program!
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    tag. i want to look at these running websites. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    How far should one be able to run in order to try for a half marathon? Is it necessary to have run the full half distance in a training run at some point before the race?
  • jenlwren
    jenlwren Posts: 41
    Options
    How far should one be able to run in order to try for a half marathon? Is it necessary to have run the full half distance in a training run at some point before the race?

Typically you should be able to run at least 3 miles before starting a traning program. Yes, you need to run the full distance or close to it (12 miles) befoere the race or you can really injure yourself.

It is a gradual build up to the 13.1 miles. I actually run and train people to 15 miles before a 2-3 week taper before the race.
  • jtintx
    Options
    So, basically, what you are saying is that you already have to have run a half marathon to run a half marathon? Umm, not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that if you were able to run 9 or 10 miles in a training run that you should be able to do a half marathon.

If you've already run 12.1 miles what's the "reason" of entering a half marathon - especially if you aren't in it to win?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    So, basically, what you are saying is that you already have to have run a half marathon to run a half marathon? Umm, not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that if you were able to run 9 or 10 miles in a training run that you should be able to do a half marathon.

If you've already run 12.1 miles what's the "reason" of entering a half marathon - especially if you aren't in it to win?

I love running extended distances before a race, then the race seems like a breeze! That's good advice (obviously...since you since you are a running coach! :smile: )

What are the reasons people run a race if it’s not to win? I don’t know. I run in races with my best friend. I love being able to say that I’ve run 8k’s and 5k’s (hopefully a 10k this summer and a half by next summer). I like the atmosphere before, during, and after a race. I guess you’ll have to find your own reason for running…
  • jtintx
    Options
    I know that a lot of people run 5Ks in order to set PRs. I guess that would hold true for half marathons too. But as a new runner training to run a half marathon, I was hoping I wouldn't need to run the full distance beforehand...and I probably won't. That way if/when I do complete the half I will have reached a pinnacle.
  • gemsbok
    gemsbok Posts: 1
    Options
    Ive done several full and half marathons. Chicago is a relatively flat course so its a good first as long as its not too hot! Jeff Galloway's website and training books are worth it! They will give you great training schedules as well as nutritional information. Good Luck!