ok dumb water question

Options

Replies

• CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'd say that as long as you are still logging the Crystal Light under food consumption also, yeah, log it as your water. I add apple cider vinegar to my morning water everyday, but still just log it as an addition to my breakfast and log my regular water.

Try to drink regular water whenver possible, though. Perhaps add a wedge of lime or lemon to add a litte flavor without the added artificial sweeteners? I buy bottles of lime juice and put a little splash in every glass of water.

Also, (and this may have already been said), but I would NOT log tea or coffee as water intake since coffee and tea can have dehydrating effects that counteract the hydrating qualities of water.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thought this was interesting too:

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/eat-your-water
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have had health problems from artificial sweeteners and so has my mother. Some people are more sensitive to them than others and over all no matter your sensitivity I believe you should stay away from them. So in your water try lemon juice with a little Stevia on ice. So far this sweetener made from a leaf has proven to be safe.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Also, (and this may have already been said), but I would NOT log tea or coffee as water intake since coffee and tea can have dehydrating effects that counteract the hydrating qualities of water.
    Not really.
  • BeautifulRedButterfly
    BeautifulRedButterfly Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yes, that def counts as water!!
    i wouldnt drink too much of crystal light though. It has Aspartame in it D:
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    ALL non-alcohol liquid, including water in your food, counts in the 8 glasses.
  • lchovet
    lchovet Posts: 68
    Options
    The only way I've managed to keep up with my water is to use Mio... most of the flavors don't have calories or anything else that shows up on my log, and one of those little bottles flavors a LOT of water!

MIO is also much easier to mix to your taste. A whole packet of the mixes is way to strong for me.
  • Kkeyser7
    Kkeyser7 Posts: 1
    Options
    Use Mio. It has no calories and no carbs.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! I suffered from a Cerebral Spinal Fluid leak after a botched epidural and I was mandated by my Dr and OBGYN to drink as much fluid as I could handle in order to increase my overall fluids, and I was told I could drink watered down Gatorade (the G20 kind because of low calories) and watered down Crystal Light. Come to think of it, they also suggested coffee! I now drink a very watered down Nestea shakes. My favorite is Bluberry Pomegranate. They are also 5 cals each. I have a water bottle that is 2.5 cups, and I use half or sometime 1/3 of the package per bottle. I would not get even close to my water consumption without them!!
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Anything with sugar or sodium in it (soda, some flavored waters) doesn't count in my book.

Looking at my can of diet soda, I notice it has 2% of daily requirement of sodium (55 mg). Interestingly enough, a liter of water can have 50 mg of sodium. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

So, IMO, even your drinking water from the tap has sodium due to the water softening process, and the sodium in a can of diet soda isn't enough to 'not count' as water.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Of course you can add it. Hell, you can add the water from when the ice melts in your cocktail if you like.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    Anything with sugar or sodium in it (soda, some flavored waters) doesn't count in my book.

Looking at my can of diet soda, I notice it has 2% of daily requirement of sodium (55 mg). Interestingly enough, a liter of water can have 50 mg of sodium. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/AN00317

So, IMO, even your drinking water from the tap has sodium due to the water softening process, and the sodium in a can of diet soda isn't enough to 'not count' as water.

why would sodium matter? Sodium doesn't turn water into not-water.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ALL non-alcohol liquid, including water in your food, counts in the 8 glasses.
    Some alcohol counts, too. Beer and wine count, as they have far more water to hydrate you than the diuretic effect of the relatively low alcohol content would pull out of you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    All H2O you consume is water.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I've read somewhere that a new study came out about drinking warm water with a T. of fresh lemon juice in it, twice a day, helps to lose a pound per week.
    I've been doing this (drinking a warm glass of lemon water in the morning and one at night) and guess what? It works! (for me).

Plus, I usually count it as part of my water intake.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't count it...But many others would. Im just super strict about whats h20 & what isn't. Lol.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

9780394869964.jpg

You just brought back so many memories from my childhood! I never see the sea ponies anymore. Time to get on ebay and find some for my daughter!
  • dferbio
    dferbio Posts: 1
    Options
    weight watchers doesn't like to count caffeinated beverages as a water because caffiene acts like a diuretic, and doesn't actually hydrate.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Before anyone tries to argue with me or anything like that, my opinion is due to the fact that I've had massive dehydration issues before and had to be careful with what I drank.

My rule of thumb is if it's got some sort of artificial something in it, then I personally don't log it in my water. (That doesn't mean I won't log it...I have a "beverages" section for anything other than water I just might happen to drink on rare occasion, like gatorade, etc.)

Listen to your own body. If you feel like you're getting enough water, log it like it's water and stick the 5 calories in a beverage or snack section or something like that. If you feel like you're not getting enough water, then log it under something else, and drink more water.

If spicing up water to not make it so blah is the issue, fruit is your friend. Squeeze a lime or lemon in it. Drop some chunks of pineapple, strawberries, etc and give your water bottle a good shake. Even though some things don't have calories or carbs, a lot of them do have sodium, artificial sweeteners, etc which have different physical effects on different people.

Edit: and by the whole "before anyone argues with me" thing, I mean that in the sense of, my opinion is based on personal experience.... not "Well weight watchers counts this," and "such and such famous writer person who tells you random things that you should know about yourself says that"
  • agentscully514
    Options
    weight watchers doesn't like to count caffeinated beverages as a water because caffiene acts like a diuretic, and doesn't actually hydrate.

WW is wrong about that. The diuretic properties of caffeine are exaggerated.