Running--Love/Hate Relationship

Options
CVALGAL
CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
I'm learning how to run as part of my new fit lifestyle. I have always hated running, so that is why I am doing it. I want to overcome something that I thought I could never do. And as I am getting a little better and stronger with each attempt, I am finding that part of me loves it. I look forward to the next time I can get outside and run some more. Then, when I am doing it, it's tough, and I really hate it. Last night, I had a dream I was running barefoot on a sandy beach and it felt marvelous. Now I want to try that. Lol. Anybody else understand this love/hate relationship with running?

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do love running. I really do. I don't like starting each run. Boo. But half way through I'm feeling good. And when you are still strong at 10 miles, you feel like a million bucks. When all hell breaks loose from mile 11 to 13, I'm back to hating it again.
  • kh0215
    kh0215 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Me, I love those endorphins though!
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to my first beach run of 2012 soon (drove out there last week, but it was blowing and raining and a bit too fearsome for me then)...

I love running now. What surprises me is that I love running sans Ipod or gadgets. It is when I clear my head, when I celebrate my body, argue with my co-workers (in my head), draft love letters to people I love... But, yeah, in the beginning - more hate than love. My red face, my wide behind in spandex (bought a running skirt for that), my sloooow going while everyone whizzed by - unsmiling -.

Now I smile whether people smile back or not, whether the swans waddle off or hiss at me...

I bet your scales will tip increasingly toward love...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who says "I love running" is in need of psychiatric help! And of course I say that just a month after my first marathon and after running 3.5 miles this morning, LOL!
    I like how I feel when I run, I love how I feel when I'm done with a run and the sense of accomplishment and I love how it has effected my body; but I'm not a running lover just yet. Maybe some day, not sure. I will continue to run though.
  • gdean428
    gdean428 Posts: 25
    Options
    When I first started running, I could only run for 30 sec/ 1 min. at at time. I was out of breath and tired. I HATED it but I pushed myself. Now I LOVE it. I'm training for my first 5k run coming up on April 21st. By best time by far is 34 mins! Been running for almost a year now. It's something that you'll have to learn and work at your owb pace. Nothing to jump quickly into!! Have fun and good luck!!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do love running. I really do. I don't like starting each run. Boo. But half way through I'm feeling good. And when you are still strong at 10 miles, you feel like a million bucks. When all hell breaks loose from mile 11 to 13, I'm back to hating it again.

This!
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I absolutely HATE running, but I love the way I feel when I am done. I am new to running also. I have been going once or twice a week for the past few months because I signed up for the 5k rugged maniac run in May and need to train. I only signed up for the run so it would give me a goal to train for. Sometimes I question my sanity...lol

I would like to hear from someone that hated running in the beginning that might not hate it anymore.
  • decdav
    decdav Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I’m new to running too! I have the hate/love relationship with all my workouts, I hate to start them, but love the feeling when I’ve done good. I just recently started running outside, I used to just use the treadmill. I liked the treadmill because I could set a speed and know that I was going that fast, I didn’t think I would push myself hard enough outside. Boy, was I wrong! I’m now training for my first half marathon and did my first “long run” on Saturday, 8 miles, going almost 2 minutes a mile faster than my training plan called for (which is based on my 5k times.)
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Totally me!!! I love the way it makes me feel, and honestly I even love when i'm starting out, but midway thru, i'm always wondering why did I start this? Maybe I should just quit and walk the rest, but something in me won't let me do that, and then, by the time i'm finishing, i'm thankful that I pushed my way through. Such a sense of accomplishment :D
  • tamic1972
    Options
    I absolutely HATE running, but I love the way I feel when I am done. I am new to running also. I have been going once or twice a week for the past few months because I signed up for the 5k rugged maniac run in May and need to train. I only signed up for the run so it would give me a goal to train for. Sometimes I question my sanity...lol

I would like to hear from someone that hated running in the beginning that might not hate it anymore.

Ditto!...I say love/hate relationship...I hate to start but love to finish!!
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    My competitive nature loves it when I beat my own times/distances. I feel good once I get into my breathing groove, but really hate it when my legs start to tire before my lungs do!

Yesterday was a running day for me, and I dreaded it the whole ride to the track (Once a week I run the school track to keep track of lap times), but once I got out there, I was glad I did! While my body feels weird and tingly when I'm done, the feeling of accomplishment is what keeps me going back.

I will never forget that I started as someone who never ran unless it was an emergency in all her 43 years - and I have gradually increased my speed and distance over the past few months up to 2.5 miles straight at a pretty decent pace. First 5K on Memorial Day, and I hope I can finish it in less than 35 minutes. We shall see.....