New Runner Questions (mind games, emotions, etc.)

Options
Lesli
Lesli Posts: 46 Member
I've been jogging consistently for about 6 weeks or so. I'm jogging between 3-4.5 miles three or four times a week. If anyone has any advice, insight, or tips to the following questions/thoughts are much appreciated! :flowerforyou:

1. I don't seem to get into my "groove" until after the 2nd mile. Is that normal?
2. Do you say anything to yourself when you first start off to ensure a good run (mind games)?
3. I still get "nervous" before I go out for a jog, thinking the miles I've been able to run are a fluke!
4. I'm afraid to jog faster for fear that I'll get too winded and have to walk...

Does anyone else ever feel this way??

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    1. I don't seem to get into my "groove" until after the 2nd mile. Is that normal?

Yes, mine is after mile 1 though. This means you are probably more of a long distance runner, instead of a mid-distance.

2. Do you say anything to yourself when you first start off to ensure a good run (mind games)?

Not really. Some days I'm pumped to run, some days I'm not and have to force myself to get going. I just always try to remember how good I feel when I get finished.

3. I still get "nervous" before I go out for a jog, thinking the miles I've been able to run are a fluke!

I don't get nervous, and I can't remember if I did when I first started running or not. But I'm sure that's normal - - be proud of your miles though! :flowerforyou:

4. I'm afraid to jog faster for fear that I'll get too winded and have to walk...

Here's what I do when I want to do a speed run....If I've been running 4 miles, I'll do a 2 miler and run it at a faster pace. Or, if I'm doing a 4 mile run sometimes, I'll do interval type runs.....pick a landmark, run hard to it, pick another land mark to run to at recovery pace...and so on.
  • riveraphx
    riveraphx Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi Lesli-

I have been a runner for many years now and I have to say that yes it is completely normal to not get into your groove right away. It usually takes me about 10 minutes to get warmed up and comfortable and that seems to be in line with you and your second mile. Eventually you will warm up faster, but from my experience it takes about 10 minutes. The only mind game I can ever think of is when I convince myself that I need to use the bathroom, even though I don't. I know it's bizarre, and I don't know why I do that?

One of the best things about running is that you can improve quickly. When I was training for my marathon I was doing more and more miles every week, but like you said believed that it was a fluke that I could run such long distances. All you need to do is believe in yourself and your running ability. Those runs are not a fluke, you do have the stamina and strength to run those distances again and again.

If you are interested in increasing your speed then you should do interval training at a track. Run near your threshold for one or two laps and then do a light jog for your third lap, always keeping track of your heart rate. If you're interested in increasing your distance, find a pace that is manageable so that you have the energy to last you on your long runs.

Congrats on becoming a runner.
  • llmgold11
    llmgold11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Completely. It takes me the first mile or so to really find my pace for the day.

When I feel like I'm about to stop or walk because I'm getting tired, but I have a set goal for the day I tell myself I'm a flippin ROCKSTAR!

Just remind yourself that you're a Rockstar--you want to change your lifestyle so just keep reminding yourself.

Try to push just a little bit harder, but not to the point where you need to walk. Intervals are a great trick to pick it up.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options

1. I need 1 mile to get my cadence consistent... seems that 1-2 miles is normal.
    2. I have to think ahead about the run, visualizing each mile, talking myself into it (especially with anything over 4miles).
    3. Take that nervous tension and channel that into your run... let it be a think that you prove to yourself time and time again!
    4. Incorporate sprints into your workout. If you have access to a treadmill, do that. If not, try to go to a track so you can get an accurate read on your distance/time ratio.
    :flowerforyou:
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I'm about 2 months into running and I NEVER *get going* until at least the 2nd mile...then I often feel like I could keep ging forever!

I caught myself early on mentally chanting *weak mind strong body* then I realized that was very negative so I changed it to *strong mind, strong body.* I don't need to use the cadence as much now, but I will still chant it out when needed!

I get totally nervous with butterflies when tackling a new distance.

I have started adding sprints, usually at the end of my run. I also have different running buddies who have different paces...some of them push me beyond my natural, comfy rhythm. I have read however that speed work should be the LAST thing you tackle. So for now, when I want to make my workout tougher I add distance or hills.

Your distances are awesome for being 6 weeks in! Isn't it amazing what our bodies can do when we challenge them?

Keep up the terrific work!

Becky
  • Lesli
    Lesli Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! It really helps to read this and know that I'm experiencing what I should as a new runner. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: