In the market for a bike. Advice?

I know this topic has been posted a lot through out the boards but I figured that my budget might be a little less then the posts I've already read.

My husband and I are both looking at hybrid (Path and Pavement) bikes but only want to spend $300ish each. (Id be willing to go over a tiny bit if i fall in love with one!) We'd like to find a good mens bike and a good womans bike.

I'm really looking for suggestions and advice! Any good websites or bikes that work great for you? I'd love to buy it online so I can have it shipped right to my house.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Hybrids are a good launching point. Look for something with a rigid front fork. Inexpensive suspension forks are generally rubbish, and are kind of a wasted effort on primarily pavement or easy dirt paths.

I'd suggest brands like Trek, Cannondale, etc. Bike store brands. Not department stores. (But Schwinn is certainly nice, from a bike store.)

For a quality bike under $300, how do you feel about used?

There are a few sites that sell generic frames wiht name brand components for cheap - but these bikes often require a good deal of tuning/adjustment to get right. If learning how to do a tuneup (derailleur adjustments...) on a bike sounds like your cup of tea, then go ahead.

Otherwise support your local bike store (LBS)

There's also local places like Performance Bicycle that are nationwide, have a good rewards program, and offer lifetime adjustments on their bikes.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    You are honestly going to have a hard time finding a quality bike for that price range. I would suggest looking on craigslist for a used one, but first go to a local bike shop and find your size.

If you are willing to spend a little more, REI carries some decent bikes for less than you will find at a bike shop but better quality than what you will get at the dreaded WalMart or a big sporting goods store.
  • I would feel pretty confident buying used and I think Id go to my local bike shop to tune and adjust it. The only problem with buying at the shops local to me is the lowest price bike they have is around $850 and the shops are pretty intimidating.

I'll check out your suggestions! Craigslist makes me a bit nervous, is there a reputable online bike shop that sells used bikes?

I did check out Performance Bicycle! Loved it and its my main contender at the moment :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    You may be able to save a few $$ buying on-line but may, ultimately find that buying at a bike shop is a better value (don't go to the big box stores, they tend to know nothing about what they're selling) as they'll usually include at least one tune up and will fit the bike for you, and if you do have some minor warranty issues dealing with an on-line retailer can be a pain.

My first commuter/hybrid bike was a Marin Larkspur (I forget what I paid for it but it was pretty affordable) it was well made and offered good value. I've since graduated to a road bike but the Marin is still serving my daughter's riding needs.
  • better quality than what you will get at the dreaded WalMart or a big sporting goods store.

*shudders* I'll cry if I have to settle at walmart!

• My first commuter/hybrid bike was a Marin Larkspur (I forget what I paid for it but it was pretty affordable) it was well made and offered good value. I've since graduated to a road bike but the Marin is still serving my daughter's riding needs.

Thanks!! I'll be looking into this brand!
  • wellbert
    With performance, they give you a really good coupon book and you can buy a yearly pass for 10% rewards, plus their prices are always really low. If you spend $600 on bikes, you get $60 in store credit... enough for some needed items.'

They sell a lot of Fuji bikes, which are very decent.
  • With performance, they give you a really good coupon book and you can buy a yearly pass for 10% rewards, plus their prices are always really low. If you spend $600 on bikes, you get $60 in store credit... enough for some needed items.'

They sell a lot of Fuji bikes, which are very decent.

oh thats great! We would most definitely spend 600 between my husband and I. Thats great news ...we have a long list of accessories we'd like! :) Thanks!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    You could get a GT or Diamondback hardtail MTB for that price. Add a set of slick tires, and you have a very nice street bike.
    My MTB is a Specialized Hardrock Disc that was about that price 4 years ago, it seems like the are ~$500 now though :(

In road and mountain bikes, usually the only difference between men's and women's bikes are paint jobs. Some time women's bikes come in tiny sizes, which is only an issue if you are under 5'0". Rarely, women's bikes have a different geometry, but all of these are high end road bikes, over 10x your budget.
    Cruisers could be different, as women's bikes sometimes are "step through".
    Really, the only reasons to buy a women's bike are:
    If you are less than 5' tall
    If you really like baby blue or pink
    If you bike in a skirt
  • Wow really?? I hate the pink and curvy bikes that woman have.. thats some serious good advice!
  • wellbert
    If you go mountain bike, look for a 29 rather than a 26
    the 29 shares tire sizes with 700c (road bike/hybrid) bikes.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    i love my trek 702 hybrid. have had it for a few years, but just starting to use it more now that i have recovered from knee surgeries. i ride mostly pavement, but nice to know i can take on a easy walking trail if i wanted to. it was a little out of your price range, as it was mine, but when i researched bikes within my range, i knew i wasn't getting anything too good. to buy mine, i took my price range, then returned all the bottles in my garage, cashed in all the coins i had at the bank, and called in an early birthday present from my parents. i finally had enough. once i was at the bike shop, the owner was trying to sell me some accessories like a water bottle, kickstand and pump. i told him, "here is the money i have to spend" and showed it to him. "if you want me to buy this other stuff, you need to lower the price of the bike." he did. and i gave him all my money and walked out with the bike i wanted, a water bottle, kickstand and a pump too. about a month later i went back and purchased a mirror for my helmet and a small bag to hold my car keys, id, and a few spare bucks just in case. my neighbor has the same bike and loves his too.

good luck...
  • WOW!!! Thats awesome! Maybe I should do that.. now that i have a better understanding of my price range I'd like to see what a smaller bike shop can do for me.

I went to a bigger bike shop in boston and they made me feel like i didnt belong there because of my price range!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I went to a bigger bike shop in boston and they made me feel like i didnt belong there because of my price range!

That's exactly how I ended up buying my Marin. The first shop I went to made me feel like an idiot because I wasn't planning on spending over $1,000. Then I stumbled across a smaller "Mom & Pop" bike shop run by cycling enthusiasts and loved the way I was treated. Guess where I bought my road bike?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    If you have a local shop you would like to deal with then don't be afraid to ask them to special order if the y don't tend to carry the bike at your lower price point. I LOVED my Trek 930 WDS. It's women's geometry without that stupid sloped top tube. It was a mountain bike but I could swap out my tires for long road rides. I'm actually looking for a used bike right now myself because I can only spend $200 and I DON'T want to compromise.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    My wife and I both purchased Giant Sedona hybrids from a small bike shop a year ago and love them. Paid a little over $400 per bike, if I recall correctly. I ride mine at least 4 days a week, both paved and unpaved trails, and haven't a a single problem. Very satisfied.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    29er's are crazy popular right now and very efficient to ride. my husband recommends them to recreational riders.
  • egiakatt
    egiakatt Posts: 90 Member
    I need to know this too!
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    What kind of riding do you want to do? Distance, utility/errands, exercise? Nashbar.com has some great prices. Not many bikes but when you need to get the extras like helmets, lights, parts, upgrades, etc. Lots of great advice here! Research the styles you want, go for test rides, maybe even rent bikes at first to find out what you like--upright, road bike style, etc. Then, check out craigslist to see what's available used. You can also buy a lower-priced bike from a local shop, you can always upgrade the components as you use the bike more but don't let them talk you into a more expensive bike than you need.

We're doing the 30 day challenge and are on day 9, it's been great to get back into the habit of riding everyday. www.tinyhelmetsbigbikes.com
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Hit your local bikeshops and see if they are having any sales on last year's models and/or unpopular sizes. I got an awesome Kona mountain bike a few weeks back for $299 (I think it was $800 regularly) because it was from last year and it was a small frame (the one good side to being short!).