How to make strength training fun

Options
2»

Replies

• sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge pokemon fan, so I think of weight lifting like training :P

There are only 6 lifts I really do just now, so I choose my team, a pokemon for each lift :P
    The weight I do is a "level" and I work on "training up" my pokemon

Eg, my shoulder press is charmander, and I use 6kg weights just now. So I made a little chart, the weight is it's level, as I go up in weights he goes up in level - and when he gets to the right levels he can evolve and learn new moves according to the Pokemon rules :p same works for my other "pokemons" (eg dead lift is level 20 dratini)

nerdy I know, but it makes it a fun goal to work towards!

exercise.png
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My vote is music...that always make the time fly by.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    there's a site called fitocracy that "nerds" might like - it gives you points for your work outs, and you earn quests and levels through it
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Double or triple set everything. You can get 27 sets of sets done in the time most do 9.
  • ktfitzgerald
    ktfitzgerald Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate lifting, so I tried a bunch of things and nothing worked. I started doing kettlebells and I love it! They work you hard, take up a lot less time, and you get a great cardio work out as well. Just a word of warning, if you decide to go that route, bypass Jillian Michaels dvd, its not very good.

Ditto! I hate traditional strength training, but I love working out with kettlebells.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier. If you are bored, my guess is you aren't lifting enough. You also don't need to do a million different things. I do 3.

yup. i do like 4-5 things if i'm doing straight lifting, not counting my warm up and cool down.

you can try metabolic conditioning work outs.
  • unsound
    unsound Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're into that kind of thing, join a social website like Fitocracy and post your workouts there. You'll get lots of encouragement, for one thing. Also, it turns workout tracking into a kind of game so you're competing against yourself and against others. It's pretty cool, and it's a great community of people who can provide lots of guidance and inspiration. Check it out.

http://www.fitocracy.com
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Strength training is fun because I realize holy crap I can add more weight.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge pokemon fan, so I think of weight lifting like training :P

There are only 6 lifts I really do just now, so I choose my team, a pokemon for each lift :P
    The weight I do is a "level" and I work on "training up" my pokemon

Eg, my shoulder press is charmander, and I use 6kg weights just now. So I made a little chart, the weight is it's level, as I go up in weights he goes up in level - and when he gets to the right levels he can evolve and learn new moves according to the Pokemon rules :p same works for my other "pokemons" (eg dead lift is level 20 dratini)

nerdy I know, but it makes it a fun goal to work towards!

exercise.png

LOVE THIS! I pretty much see strength training as questing in an MMO. :flowerforyou:
  • kellabella83
    Options
    I have the kettleworx DVD's by Ryan Shanahan and I really like them. I would recommend those.
    Although I think the kettleball I have is too light, it's 5lbs. I should probably have started with 8 or 10lbs.

Good Luck!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Learning new lifts/moves keeps me interested

I am set to ask 2mo how to use the rack effectively (always been a bit scared before!)

I also love combining lunges/squats/stomach exercises with dumbells which I learn from a monthly magazine

Oh yeah and working towards lifting heavier is fun too!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Because strength training will not only improve your looks but improve your daily activities.

I also take pride in doing the necessary movements that will make a difference vs most everyone else wasting their time in the gym
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    Options
    Just do it!! Strength training burns more fat than traditional Cardio. There are a ton of websites that will show you how to do it and you can go to youtube as well and type in the search engine "strength training" and find a ton of videos. Listen to music and get it done. It is not about the quanity but the quality - use good form and technique and add more weight if you are bored. Do you whole body 3 day's a week and you should be good to go!!