Warrior Dash

Options
kimi233
kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
I have signed up for the Warrior Dash in June, and I have started training for it. I would love any tips any one may have for what I should be including in my training, or if you have done one of these races what I should expect. I'm kinda scared. LOL I started running last week, and I've been doing the ChaLean Extreme work out three times a week, and if I couldn't run, I was doing Insanity.

Replies

• JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    These races are a lot of fun. Don't be afraid, be ready for a good time. They're a challenge, but that is part of the fun. Definitely run and do some light strength training and you should be ready by June. Insanity is definitely a good way to prepare as well. I'm doing a 10k Mud Run on Saturday. I can't wait!
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Did it last year and signed up again for this year's race.

My tips:

1) Ignore the hype. It's not nearly as bad or as intense as it sounds. That's just part of the marketing.

2) Focus on the running. Although every course is different, there are long stretches of nothing but trail running.

3) And speaking of trail running, do that instead of street running while training. It's easier and better on your joints to use the trail, and it minimizes the chance of injury before the race.

4) There's no shame in walking the course during parts of it. I did it to conserve energy for the obstacles, and so did most of the people around me.

5) The obstacles are not nearly as bad they seem on the pictures. Those are the result of tricky camera angles and lighting! For example, the "inferno" is nothing -- it's just leaping over some Duraflame logs!

6) There will be bottlenecks at the obstacles, so there's no need to rush through them. In fact, those are great places to catch your breath!

7) Take caution when going through the obstacles, but don't be afraid of them. The WD organization isn't trying to kill you :)

On race day, soak in the party/festival atmosphere. Bring old shoes that you won't mind losing. Bring plastic sheets or tarps to lay out in your car for the ride back, or bring a change of clothes and a large towel to hide behind. Soak some handtowels or wash clothes and put them in plastic bags to wipe your face and clean your ears after the race. Consider bringing a cooler of beverages and food so you can tailgate instead of spending outrageous amounts of money inside the grounds on food and drinks. Take advantage of their gear check-in to check your camera and personal belongings.

Prepare to get soaked and muddy :)

And if you go with a bunch of people, have a GREAT time!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for the Warrior Dash in June, and I have started training for it. I would love any tips any one may have for what I should be including in my training, or if you have done one of these races what I should expect. I'm kinda scared. LOL I started running last week, and I've been doing the ChaLean Extreme work out three times a week, and if I couldn't run, I was doing Insanity.

I'm doing one in June, too (New England). I'm excited! It's my first one, and I've just been running regularly (I run long distance, so 5K is no big deal) and have been strength training. Good luck!! :-)
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the New England in June! :) I have been running and strength training as well. I like the sound of trying out some trail running before hand!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    June here too (Kentucky)... lots of great tips from people. I am trying to build up my endurance with cardio but not cutting out my strength training!!

Good luck!
  • tikikey
    tikikey Posts: 1
    Options
    Depending on where you're doing it...train for crazy hills. Mine was 1.5 miles straight up the side of a ski mountain...then the obstacles began. I think running down the hill was actually harder than up....really tough on the balance and the ankles.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Its super fun! I was worried about the obsticales, but they were a blast. The first mile all up hill was the worst! ( in MN )
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    bumping this because my husband is scared of me doing a 5k on May 5th since I had my appendix out last week... I am hoping I will be cleared for it, and reading the list of things about it definitely makes it seem a lot less scary!
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it this year in Oregon, its not till sept. though, but I'm slowly getting myself into training mode, but I'm excited and can not wait!!!
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My first is in June too in Illinois! I am really looking forward to it!! I'm about to run a half-marathon in three weeks and figure that will get me through the running (although I hear the hills are tough) and doing some strength training too. I am in it for the fun though and can't wait!!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I got one coming up April 21st. I already told my fiancee she'd be driving my truck home while I rode in the bed.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am going to be signing up for the one in November for Central Texas and I am so excited about it!! I have talked a huge group of friends and family into doing it with me and it will be our first one so all tips are greatly appreciated.
  • BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for the Kansas City WD on May 6th! It will be my first, but last week I did the Ruckus Run which is a 4 mile obstacle race. It was the best time ever! From my experience w/that race, I know that the obstacles that I had the most difficulty with are the ones where upper body strength was key. So in the next few weeks, my plan is to work on that. I did have bruises on my shins but i have put those down as my 'battle scars'... :)

I did it with some friends, so we just had fun w/ it. We weren't trying to beat any times or anyone else. We just stayed together and cheered each other on.

We had so much fun w/ the Ruckus that we just had to sign up for the Warrior Dash.

Have a blast!!
  • kimi233
    Options
    Great tips, thank you all for replying, and best of luck to all of you in your races too!! I'm so excited, it will be a blast. And I'm also very happy to hear that the jumping over flames isn't as bad as it looks. LOL I've been so scared I'm gunna burn my bum because its at the end of the race and my legs are going to feel like they weigh 5 ton. =) I have been doing a mix of trail running and street running, I figured I could gain more speed if I run on the road, but I also wanted the feel of the trails.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I'll come here when I'm done and give a complete report about how my big @$$ made it through, ha.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    June here too, in PA. I haven't started running yet ;-) but I'm a really fast walker, lol...
  • bethpuma8
    bethpuma8 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ran the Ohio one last June, and we made it through pretty easily, but if oyu are training, run, and make sure to include as many hills in your training as you can. The part that was the hardest was the HILLS. Obstacles were just fun and easy :)
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in June, too (New England). I'm excited! It's my first one, and I've just been running regularly (I run long distance, so 5K is no big deal) and have been strength training. Good luck!! :-)
    I am also doing the New England in June! :) I have been running and strength training as well. I like the sound of trying out some trail running before hand!

I'm also signed up for the New England one in June! I'm totally psyched for it :happy: I have also been doing some strength training to prep for this (since my main goal is just to complete each obstacle). I also ran a trail 5k and have been doing some light running to keep myself prepared for the "race" aspect...
  • kimi233
    Options
    I will start adding hills, everyone says the hills are the hardest part... I just figured flat old Illinois wouldn't be that bad. LOL
  • kimi233
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I'll come here when I'm done and give a complete report about how my big @$$ made it through, ha.

Would love to hear how well you do!