Green Smoothies

2»

Replies

• boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Here is a great resource I found today. It's pretty basic, but it gives you the basic ratios for making great tasting, and very nutritious green smoothies.

http://www.vitamix.com/household/infocenter/greensmoothie.pdf
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    I love a choclate peanut butter smoothie: i use 2 cups spinach, 1 scoop chocolate protein powder, tbsp of peanut butter, a banana and some vanilla yogurt.

That sounds good! I am going to try that tomorrow if I can get my hands on a banana!
  • Ambers92
    Ambers92 Posts: 8
    Ooooooo that sounds so good. Will be making this in the morning, minus bananas... ewwie.
  • My old standby...

1 frozen banana
    5-6 frozen or fresh strawberries
    2 handfuls or cups of fresh Spinach
    1 Tbs ground Flax seeds
    1 Tbs wheat germ
    3 sprigs Fresh Mint
    1 scoop Soy Protein Powder
    1 cup skim milk
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    I love green smoothies!

I start all my smoothies off the same way, with 1/2 cup milk and a frozen banana. The banana gives a creamy texture, a sweet taste, and eliminates the need for ice, so the smoothie is less diluted. From there I add whatever fruits and vegetables I feel like or have lying around.

Add-ins I've had success with:
    Fresh spinach (love spinach in smoothies, makes them really rich)
    Pre-chopped Carrots (sweet, but mild taste)
    Green Bell pepper (definitely gives somewhat of a vegetable taste, but I like it)
    Diced Apples (all varieties)
    Peanut butter! (great for turning a smoothie into a meal replacement)
    Cocoa powder (works best if the only veggie is spinach)
  • SuccessThisTime
    SuccessThisTime Posts: 15 Member
    Smoothies are great anytime, but particularly in the morning. I've done smoothie challenges before, where you drink nothing but them for 3 - 7 days. For health and nutrition reasons, it's better to use kale, chard, even arugula, and other greens rather than spinach. If you add fruit, you still won't taste the greens too much. Arugula does lend a taste to the smoothie, but I LOVE it!

Also try additing young coconut meat to your smoothie for a special treat....it's yummie.

One of my favorites is: the meat from 1 young coconut and as much of the water as you'd like, frozen pineapple (or mango or both), a big handful of arugula, and 1 frozen banana (or not). You can also throw in some shredded coconut for texture.

Enjoy!
  • cwielk
    cwielk Posts: 36
    yum! keeping this thread.
  • frostymom04
    frostymom04 Posts: 9 Member
    I make green smoothies too--
    def use spinach ,,bananna,,almond milk,,honey,,coconut,,greek yougurt,,,
    can't taste spinach at all
  • s0ready
    s0ready Posts: 99
    Well everyone thinks I am crazy when I make my smoothies. Honestly i just experiment. Spinach is by far the easiest. Bananas will mask a lot of tastes from veggies. Usually I add peanut butter, banana, and chocolate protein powder with most new veggies I am trying. So far it has worked for what I have tried with which were kale, broccoli, and green beans. As icky as it sounds all it takes like is a peanut butter cup.
  • My boss has me reading Green for Life. Over the weekend I made some smoothies. Yesterday I had a peach & romaine one. This morning is cantaloup romaine. At lunch I'm planning kiwi & baby spinach. I love fruits and vegetables, but I think I'm going to have a tough time varying my "greens". I know it's important though, so I'll get it done somehow.
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    My smoothie was just published on a Canadien diet site (can't say name on here ) but must say so myself..pretty darn good :tongue: and healthy!!

Melinda’s Strawberry Slushy
    Submitted by: Melinda ********

INGREDIENTS
    ¾ cup 190ml Crystal Lite – already pre-mixed per package directions)
    1 cup Kraft Jell-O No Sugar added Strawberry Jell-O (frozen)
    ½ cup 2.5 oz Strawberries sliced
    1 cup 250ml Crushed Ice
    10 drops Liquid sweetener
    METHOD
    1. Blend all ingredients together.
    2. Add more ice if thickness desired.
    YIELD: ½ fruit, 1 Jell-O serving
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    I made a quick and simple Green smoothie this morning, but love the new ideas!

Mine was (and is my go-to):
    1 c Vanilla Light Soy Milk (I've used cow milk and almond milk too)
    1/2 c Vanilla 0% Greek Yogurt
    1c mixed frozen fruit (usually use frozen banana, but didn't have on hand)
    2c baby spinach

I've heard in the past that wilting the spinach before blending brings out more nutrients...does anyone know if that's true? If so, how do you go about doing that quickly? Do you need to do that with other greens, like kale?