calories....very confused! Help!

Options
Ok , so let's start by introducing myself...I'm Michelle, I'm 6' tall and 180 lbs. I am trying to get to 155-160. I did the BMR calculator and it says my current BMR is 1635 calories. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week (always Mon-Fri) and do 1/2 hr. on the treadmill interval training, (walk at 4.5 mph then jog at 7 mph) . Then I do 1/2 hr of strength training. I am eating 1500 calories a day (healthy food) and this BMR is telling me that to get to my goal weight I have to eat 2367-2500 calories a day!!!!!!! How in the world would eating that many calories get me to my goal weight???? I thought that I should eat less than 2000 calories a day to lose weight! Is my body just holding on to everything I eat at 1600 calories and not shedding the pounds???? I need to eat more???? Please help me ! Thanks! :)
ps this is where I got my info http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Easiest way: figure out your TDEE (do a google search).
    Eat at least 75% above that, while doing cardio and weight training.
    If necessary, make macros 40%carbs/30%fat/30%protein.

PM me if you have any questions, good luck!
  • michelleedgett
    Options
    ok , it said my TDEE is 2809....So now what does that mean and how much should I eat????? I'm very new to all this!
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    Your TDEE is of course an estimate. Also, if you put down 6-7 days exercising - you will have to go to the gym at least 6 days in order to fit your estimated calories.

2809 X .75 is the number you should be aiming for which is around 2106 calories.

You could go a bit lower than that if you're comfortable but 75% below TDEE is a good way to burn body fat % while maintaining most of your muscle mass.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

It is how many calories you would eat to stay EXACTLY AS YOU ARE.

To lose fat, you need a calorie deficit. Starting points are about 25% less than your TDEE (2100 in your case). This is a 700 calorie deficit for you. There are 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so if you ate 2100 7 days a week, you would generate a deficit of 4900 cals/wk (7 X 700), which will translate into 1.4lb per week.

Now, rarely is life so linear! Haha - you will probably lose 3 - 5 lbs per week for the first couple of weeks, then the loss will slow.
  • michelleedgett
    Options
    So to lose 3-5 lbs a week, I should eat about 1900 calories?
  • Rachel2617
    Options
    Oh boy I feel very confused reading this.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    So to lose 3-5 lbs a week, I should eat about 1900 calories?

I would start at 2100 calories depending on if you're body is used to eating at a deficit.

Ways to make sure you're not losing too much muscle mass while eating on a deficit:
    Not losing TOO MUCH strength at the gym (it's inevitable that you will lose some strength).
    Eating closer to your TDEE (at least 75%) will add to the recovery time from weight training/cardio.
    Eating a higher protein diet (40%carbs/30%fats/30%protein for macros) works well.

Currently on days I work out, I eat 40%carbs/30%fats/30%protein and 35%carbs/35%fats/30% protein on days I don't work out. You probably already know this but good fats and protein are essential to recovery time after weight training or cardio.
  • michelleedgett
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! lol :P
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    FYI, 3-5 lbs a week (except after the first two weeks) is very aggressive and you don't want to go overboard. You will start shedding lean mass, and you want to maintain lean mass as much as possible - it's the engine that burns your fat.

1 lb - 2 lb per week is considered to be the best route - fast enough that you actually see and feel it happening so you don't get discouraged, and at a pace to which your body can adapt without consuming muscle.