A Bittersweet Success Story

Options
I just ran a mile in dedication to my father who passed away 12 years ago today. He died from a heart attack which he had while working out at the gym. He was probably the most active person I've ever known but I guess his heart couldn't keep up with him. I wanted to push myself really hard today as a gesture to him because he pushed himself hard in everything he did. He always did his best and you never heard him complain that it was too hard or he was too tired.

Right now I feel amazing and hope to be able to keep reaching these little goals I set for myself. Thanks for reading!

Replies

• Blaireli
    Blaireli Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Keeping you in my thoughts on this difficult day.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Great job on running that mile! It seems you've got a lot of your Dad's kick-assness!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    First a hug, then a high five. :flowerforyou:
  • almostfortysix
    Options
    Very AWESOME!!!! My thoughts and heart go out to you on this day.
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    *hugs* to you on this day. I'm glad you were able to run that mile and think of your dad :) Keep up the great work you are doing :)
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful tribute!
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good for you! My step father (who was basically my dad) passed away from a heart attack just about 10 years ago. So *hugs* as well.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    congrats to you!

My dad passed away 33 years ago this last sunday at the age of 39. He had a heart attack playing racquetball at 38 years old. He died on the table having by-pass surgery a year later. He had a blood clot go through his heart during the procedure. Incidentally, I work out and play racquetball at the exact same gym he did and at 46 years old and 305 lbs, I think of him everytime i step on the court. My son turns 14 in may, the same age I was when he passed.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss...especially because it sounds like it was very unexpected when it happened! Great job not letting your dad's circumstances get you down and hold you back. What a wonderful way to honor him on the anniversary of his death!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    What a great way to honor your dad's memory! Way to go!

I started my weight loss when my dad was in the hospital with terminal cancer (felt at the time it was the only thing I had control over), and I've wish he could see me now at my goal weight. I know he would have been proud of me.... as I'm sure your father would be of you! :flowerforyou:
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Those milestones are hard. I lost my Dad in January of 2001 to a heart attack. It was sudden and unexpected...no one should ever have to go through that. I'm glad you found a good, healthy way to honor him today.
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Great job on your mile I bet your dad is so cheering for you from heaven right now!!!!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Keep it up!! I am sure he is QUITE proud of you!!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, but this is a great way to honor him.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Hug and a high five for honoring your dad in the best possible way!
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What a nice post. Unique. Im sure your dad would be very proud of your efforts. Keep it up :)
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Beautiful post and beautiful tribute.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What a great way to honor your dad. I lost my dad in July, but I think of him every time I cook at home because he hated eating out. He swore pizza was the downfall of all America with regard to health. ;) Here's to daddies and the inspiration we get from them. :drinker:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

"Running is cheaper than therapy". I lost my mom to breast cancer 4 years in Oct...I talk to her all the time while I'm running.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!