Any Women Out There Have a Good Strength Training Plan?

Options
Hello! I need to have a regular strength training routine, and was wondering if any women here have a good one that they follow. I attend a Planet Fitness so I have access to the weight machines and stuff. I guess I need to know what exercises to do and how many sets and reps.

If anyone has any tips I would really appreciate it! :)

Replies

• vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do two things:
    1) I meet with a personal trainer once/month to make sure my technique is good, learn new techniques, and make sure I'm making progress.
    2) I do Big Beyond Belief - some people find this program controversial, but it works for me. I usually lift 4x/wk and have had a lot of success so far with increasing muscle and burning fat. You can find the details of the workouts (and read the entire book) here: http://www.bigbeyondbelief.com/BigBeyondBelief-eBook.pdf
  • eponine1976
    eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Get the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" . There's a group on here (abbreviated NROL4W). I've read the book and only done the first two workouts (3rd today) but it seems like a great program and tells you what to do for a full 6 months of workouts 3x/week. I was like you and needed a structured plan and this book's program fits the bill perfectly.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hey! I agree, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great read, even if you go another direction for your actual lifting plan. I try to pretty much stick to the principles laid out in that book.
    Jamie Eason has a free lifting program called Live Fit Trainer on bodybuilding.com. It is great if you have access to a gym.
    Oxygen magazine usually has some good strength training workouts in there too that would be really good if you are just starting out. I am currently doing STS (cathe.com/STS) which is a great lifting program. I do it at home, as I have a pretty decent home gym but you could totally do it at the gym. IT is pricey but so worth it! You can even download the videos to an ipod/smart phone and take it with you to the gym.
    Hope that helps!
    Becca :)
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I am going to look into all of these sources!