Help!

Options
If you were expecting the Beatles sorry. :)

Hey y'all I tried posting this in the other thread but its already at the bottom of the page.. can someone help a brotha out.

Hey y'all been lurking for awhile finally decided to join! Can somebody help me get my Calculations on point ex.BMR and ect. I thought I was doing it right this whole time eating 1400 to 1500 calories and walking twice a day. If anyone can help I would appriciate it..
Height:5'11
Weight:309
Body Fat% How do I find this out
How often you work out: Walks twice a day always 2 1/2 miles on each walk.. I just last night found out about BMR. Thanks

Replies

• DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Your BMR works out at 2424 calories per day. If you go with this and input a sedentary lifestyle then you should be eating
    2908 calories per day to maintain your weight at 309 lb. For every pound you want to lose per week, you need to take 350 calories off this number.

I wouldn't recommend trying to lose more than 2lb per week. If you go for this, your daily calorie intake should be 2208 calories.

If you exercise, you log that in and then you can eat those calories as well. So if you do 300 calories of exercise, your daily total would go up to 2508.

Bear in mind though that it's easy to underestimate how much you're eating and very easy to overestimate how many calories you burn when exercising. Always try and be as exact as possible. That way you know you're "roughly" on track

As for Body Fat %, Theres a couple scales on the market that can measure this. Salter do some good ones from what I've seen. Or your health care provider can help measure. But to be honest, that's probably something to worry about at a later date. For now just lose a few pounds. Your % will reduce fine by itself :smile:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    For every pound you want to lose per week, you need to take 350 calories off this number.

You need to take off 500 calories per day to lose one pound in a week. 3500 calories total.
  • JG_FromMN
    JG_FromMN Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you both for responsing. So if I'm trying to lose 2lbs per week my calorie intake should be little under 2000 cals? Is that including exercise.. when I do walk I usually burn anywhere between 300 to 575 on each walk and I would twice a day. I also play basketball every other day for a good 1 to 1 1/2 hours.. thanks
  • DPernet
    Options
    For every pound you want to lose per week, you need to take 350 calories off this number.

You need to take off 500 calories per day to lose one pound in a week. 3500 calories total.

Yup, sorry 500. no idea why I put 350. Brain fart :huh:
  • DPernet
    Options
    Thank you both for responsing. So if I'm trying to lose 2lbs per week my calorie intake should be little under 2000 cals? Is that including exercise.. when I do walk I usually burn anywhere between 300 to 575 on each walk and I would twice a day. I also play basketball every other day for a good 1 to 1 1/2 hours.. thanks

Not including exercise. You have to log your exercise in and then you can eat your exercise calories in addition to the rest.

There's a wide spread of opinion on how much of your exercise calories you eat back. I would say read a few of the posts in the

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition thread
  • JG_FromMN
    JG_FromMN Posts: 15
    Options

Not including exercise. You have to log your exercise in and then you can eat your exercise calories in addition to the rest.

There's a wide spread of opinion on how much of your exercise calories you eat back. I would say read a few of the posts in the

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition thread
    Wow thanks for the links and your help..