"surprise" explicitly homosexual content in games?

Options
This is interesting:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-04-ea-defends-itself-against-thousands-of-anti-gay-letters

"EA has been inundated in recent weeks with what GamesIndustry International understands to be "several thousand" letters and emails protesting the inclusion of same sex or LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) content in its video games, most notably Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. When asked, EA confirmed that this has indeed been occurring, and unsurprisingly, EA has no plans to censor any of its games. "

What do you guys think about this? Now it doesn't say how what the content is, but in the past we've had things like the hot coffee mod in GTA 3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Coffee_mod

If something like that was part of the main story line of the game that showed graphic sex between two men and you did not buy the game knowing that was part of it how would you feel?

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    This is interesting:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-04-ea-defends-itself-against-thousands-of-anti-gay-letters

"EA has been inundated in recent weeks with what GamesIndustry International understands to be "several thousand" letters and emails protesting the inclusion of same sex or LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) content in its video games, most notably Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. When asked, EA confirmed that this has indeed been occurring, and unsurprisingly, EA has no plans to censor any of its games. "

What do you guys think about this? Now it doesn't say how bad the content is, but in the past we've had things like the hot coffee mod in GTA 3

If something like that was part of the main story line of the game between two men and you did not buy the game knowing that was part of it how would you feel?

The games in question the biggest issues people are complaining about they aren't realizing that you can choose to be gay/lesbian in those games. The main character in essence can seduce/love genders of the same sex. So yes if you take your main character and form close ties and choose to, you can be gay/lesbian with another character in the game. Dragon Age and Dragon Age II, Fable II/III all had those options as well.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    This is interesting:

What do you guys think about this? Now it doesn't say how bad the content is, but in the past we've had things like the hot coffee mod in GTA 3

If something like that was part of the main story line of the game between two men and you did not buy the game knowing that was part of it how would you feel?

The games in question the biggest issues people are complaining about they aren't realizing that you can choose to be gay/lesbian in those games. The main character in essence can seduce/love genders of the same sex. So yes if you take your main character and form close ties and choose to, you can be gay/lesbian with another character in the game. Dragon Age and Dragon Age II, Fable II/III all had those options as well.

for the sake of argument let's say eventually there is a game where it's part of the story line, that during game play you discover your character or a main character is gay and you experience graphic sexual situations.
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    This is interesting:

for the sake of argument let's say eventually there is a game where it's part of the story line, that during game play you discover your character or a main character is gay and you experience graphic sexual situations.

I say this because there has been many popular games where the main character becomes involved in a heterosexual relationship, so it's safe to assume that eventually popular games will have the main character in a homosexual relationship

and in many of those popular games it did not say in the box or in previews that the main character would be in a heterosexual relationship.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is interesting:

This.

They don't make the main character homosexual, it's simply an optional choice if you pursue that path.

In example, main character has a male and female party member. Main character makes choices to improve his relations with both party members, because there's stat bonuses to making them happy. Main character can then pursue one or the other of said party members in a more romantic fashion (which by the way, increases stats etc further), depending on his preferance. What's funny, is power gamers were thrilled with this, because they could seriously improve their parties strength by choosing the more powerful character to 'romance' (making them even more powerful) regardless of gender lol. There's also hacks to let you have a romance with more than one party member simultaneously...and with no gender restrictions, you can max them all out.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to have graphic sexual situations show up unexpectedly no matter the genders of the people involved.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Aren't most of these games rated Mature? I'm fairly certain Dragon Age is... and if you're not researching games for yourself or your children, that's your own fault, not the game industry's.

P.S. I have tried over and over again to get Morrigan to sex me up, but I just haven't found the right way to seduce her into sleeping with my Lady Grey Warden-ness.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I guess I care more about other things. If it's part of a storyline, great. If it isn't? That's fine too. EA shouldn't censor their games. The parents should try their hardest to pay attention to the games they want their kids to play. Obviously, the kids are going to play the games with our without parental consent, but the parents should make an effort as to what games are appropriate for their kids to play.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    super-mario-brothers-06-s.jpg
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Aren't most of these games rated Mature? I'm fairly certain Dragon Age is... and if you're not researching games for yourself or your children, that's your own fault, not the game industry's.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Not all games are for children, just like not all movies are for children. That is why they are rated.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.. What's the difference if
    there is same sex stuff or not?

Are they getting mad that same sex stuff is going on in games? Or sex in general?
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Not all games are for children, just like not all movies are for children. That is why they are rated.

ditto to both. kids shouldn't be playing mature rated games or watching higher-rated movies. ppl shouldn't get all butthurt over sexual content if they're not refereeing.

as for the question what would i do if i found out the game had graphic sex of ppl of the same gender? i would buy STOCK. and eleven copies of the game.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lrscs5pJPj1r2kqfoo1_500.png
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

P.S. I have tried over and over again to get Morrigan to sex me up, but I just haven't found the right way to seduce her into sleeping with my Lady Grey Warden-ness.
    Me too. Morrigan will only get it on with whomever she s performing the ritual with as far as I know.
    Everyone else though has been pretty easy :)
  • loseweightjames
    Options

so if it's rated Mature everything is fair game? Violence? Hetero sex? Homo sex? Dogs/sheep/horse? Rape/incest? etc? Is there anything "Mature" doesn't cover? What was "Mature" in the 90s is PG-13 in 2012.

And what do you consider "research"? Watching the commercials and reading the box description? Reading Amazon reviews? Magazine reviews? How many of these sources specifically said how much and what kind of sex/violence/sheep/etc was in the game?
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options

so if it's rated Mature everything is fair game? Violence? Hetero sex? Homo sex? Dogs/sheep/horse? Rape/incest? etc? Is there anything "Mature" doesn't cover? What was "Mature" in the 90s is PG-13 in 2012.

And what do you consider "research"? Watching the commercials and reading the box description? Reading Amazon reviews? Magazine reviews? How many of these sources specifically said how much and what kind of sex/violence/sheep/etc was in the game?

I would like to have all my video games rated in sheep. None of this "Mature" or "pg13" crap. What is it on the BAA scale?
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Many gaming sites will answer you rather honestly if you ask about the content of a game in the forums. You may find a number of trolls but as the average age of a video gamer climbs, you will find parent gamers who will provide the information.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, I just want equality between men and women. I'm sick of seeing male PCs getting 3-6 love interest choices while females only get 1 or 2.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me, I just want equality between men and women. I'm sick of seeing male PCs getting 3-6 love interest choices while females only get 1 or 2.

Maybe you should go for the sheep? I kid! Equality for all! :D
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

might i introduce you to my friend Google.

srsly, how hard is this, movie or game or tv show, just google "rating explaination" and then the title. the first page will give you plenty of what's going on and the highlights are spoiler-free usually. i know that for movies, there are sites that will list how many times a certain curse word is said, but games are different - i get that - but still, a simple google search will tell you why a game is mature.

GTA doesn't have any gay sex (so far as i'm aware anyway) but i'm not gonna let a kid play it.

i think you want all of us to be all "omg you're gonna catch the gay!!" but that's just not how most gamers are. there has been gay sex in video games since Sim. this is kind of srsly old news.

i know that there are ppl out there who define "unacceptable" differently than i do. but expecting everyone to define it the same - and WORSE using that as a reason not to parent your own kid - and then getting up in arms b/c something exists that you don't agree with is just really, really dumb.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

I would like to have all my video games rated in sheep. None of this "Mature" or "pg13" crap. What is it on the BAA scale?

like the new ticker lol