Treadmill VS Stationary Bike

Can I get some opinions on what is the best one for weight loss? Here is the problem for me treadmill can cause some knee pain from an old injury and the stationary bike I feel like I am not burning very much. Any suggestions would help. Thank you :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    I do both - but I use the cycle class stationary bikes - its much more similar to actually riding a bike and I can stand up, sprint, climb "hills" etc without pressure on my knees and shins. I get a pretty good workout on the bike. If you don't have access to those bikes, try one of the interval training programs that the electronic bikes have - increase your RPMs and the tension.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    There's no doubt that the treadmill / running can burn more calories per hour than cycling but if your knee gives you a hard time you may not have much of a choice. Biking at a good intensity can still burn lots of calories, perhaps you may also want to consider swimming and/or rowing too? Join a spinning class?

Are you doing any strength training?
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    I have knee issues, when I do the dread-milll, I carry hand weights, it allows me to go at a much slower speed so I don't aggravate knee, but carrying that extra weight in my hands raises my heart rate up as if i were running! Sometimes I even add a lil incline..
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    the treadmill would by far burn the most calories and help tone the legs better than a stationery bike! ( i had a excercise bike in my room and only went on it like 10 times ish! it got boring and gave me a numb bum after 5 mins!) i would defo get a treadmill. and i know you mentioned that treadmill can cause knee injury for you, but you can start off my slow walking, and then when you feel more confident, the build yourself up to light jogging :smile:.. it may even help with your knees too. I have a weak ankle from a car accident a few years back and i never thought id be able to run on it again. but i started jogging august last year, and its really helped my ankle :) x
  • ldmaking
    ldmaking Posts: 7 Member
    Do you have access to an elliptical? When my knee is bothering me I tend to alternate between the elliptical and cycle with some added time on the rowing machine.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Can I get some opinions on what is the best one for weight loss? Here is the problem for me treadmill can cause some knee pain from an old injury and the stationary bike I feel like I am not burning very much. Any suggestions would help. Thank you :flowerforyou:

I've had better luck, and burn walking on the treadmill. The stationary bike ( i used the recumbent) has harder on my knees.

But my favorite is the elliptical
  • Tonika44137
    Tonika44137 Posts: 167 Member
    Walking on the treadmill at high incline burns alot of calories and wont be so bad on your knees..riding the stationary bike alone I've noticed you dont get a good burn but go to a "Spin class" and ride a stationary bike there and you can burn a ton of calories because you're pushed to stand and cycle, sprint, do jumps...there are alot of things you can do on the stationary bike that you probably wont do alone.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    I use both kinda depends on how my body feels, but I also vary the levels of speeds and inclines to keep me from getting to comfy.when the knees do act up I pop the advil and slow down, also sitting in the hot tub and pool have helped keep the pain to a
    resonable level. :smile:
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,266 Member
    I never use the treadmill, due to knee pain, but unless you're on a real bike, I feel like the exercise bikes are a waste of time. Hitthe ellpitical, it literally changed my life.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    The best workout is one that does not give you pain and that you enjoy enough to stick with. Pick whatever works best for your situation and whatever you enjoy enough to actually DO. :-)
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 235 Member
    Thank you everyone for the insight. I do have access to a pool and all Precor equipment I might try the elliptical as suggested. Some type of workout is better than nothing I suppose! :smile:
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    I used a commerical spin bike (Keiser) over the winter months to begin training for a century bike ride that was last fall. Never being a big cyclist I knew I had to start training VERY early. I started in February, used spinning dvd's from spinning.com and always burned 500+ cals per ride. When I transitioned to outside on a Trek road bike, my burn was generally around 200 cals per 1.5 hr ride but I just didn't push myself like I did with the dvd's.

Jump to now and I am in love with my treadmill. After the century ride I was totally burnt out on biking so in February I started c25k and am heading into my last week. I burn between 500 and 600 cals each run, depending on my pace. I can comfortably run 3 miles, 3 to 4 times per week - even with bum knees and an ankle that was once fractured in three places. I credit my ability to run with starting off extremely slow - that and I have an awesome treadmill (NordiTrack C900) with four cushion springs for less impact.

I now do an intense spin ride once a week, run 3 to 4 other days and walk the dog on the remaining days.