Shrimp for protien?

Options
I have started a pretty aggressive workout schedule and want to develop a high protein diet plan. I tend to shy away from supplements as a staple so I want to do my best to avoid over doing whey or soy protein shakes… So I was looking at my choices and searching for a good protein to fat ratio. Here’s what I found: Tunafish is 1:6, Soybeans are 8:11, eggs are 5:6… Shrimp is 1:21!

I realize that there is some concern RE: heavy metals build-up (primarily mercury) and other such concerns. Also there is still a good bit of cholesterol in shrimp, but in my research I came across a study that found it raised your HDL more than LDL so your ratio of “good” to “bad” could actually improve. Also, I am not really looking to make it a permanent staple in my diet, but for 90 days or so while I’m hitting the gym pretty hard (or P90x, Insanity, whatever), what do you all think?

Another nice thing about shrimp is that you can steam 'em up and throw them in the fridge. Take a bag to work and eat 1 or 2 an hour to spread out your intake and keep food in your system... Along with your fruits and veggies, of course.

Oh, may be pertinent to add that I live in Jacksonville, so I have easy access to good fresh (never frozen) Mayport shimp...

Thoughts???

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I like to practice all things in moderation. Shrimp is good. Eating pounds a day, probably not good. So go ahead and eat them but keep your protein sources varied.

BTW- you probably already know this but Greek yogurt is super high in protein. One serving cup of Fage plain has 18 grams of protein.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I'd just measure your cholesterol level before starting any heavy shrimp diet, and then measure it again 1 months later to see if there's a big change.
  • FireNGlory
    FireNGlory Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. I'd just measure your cholesterol level before starting any heavy shrimp diet, and then measure it again 1 months later to see if there's a big change.

That's probably a real good idea... I should really have it checked anyway...
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Go for it, in moderation. Monday nights at our house is Shrimp Salad night, a big salad with all kinds of veggies and about 12 large shrimp. Makes Monday's less painful :happy:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    So I was looking at my choices and searching for a good protein to fat ratio. Here’s what I found: Tunafish is 1:6, Soybeans are 8:11, eggs are 5:6… Shrimp is 1:21!
    1 part protein to 21 parts fat?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    RE: Shrimp and cholesterol- it is my understanding that as long as you do not eat it with a seperate saturated fat, such as butter or fry it up in some oil, that the cholesterol in shrimp does not raise your bad cholesterol numbers.

I agree, that eating pounds per day is not a good idea, but a half a pound a few times a week is not going to kill you either.
  • FireNGlory
    Options
    I like to practice all things in moderation. Shrimp is good. Eating pounds a day, probably not good. So go ahead and eat them but keep your protein sources varied.

BTW- you probably already know this but Greek yogurt is super high in protein. One serving cup of Fage plain has 18 grams of protein.
    Oh, totally agreed. I love fish, chicken, eggs, cheese and nuts as well, it's just hard to keep your fat to protein ratios down without some game changer... So I'm thinking shrimp during the day becasue it would be very easy to get small doses of protein that way at work. Then mix in one of the previously mentioned for dinner. 1/4 pound of shrimp has 24 grams of protein with only about a hundred calories!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love shrimp! It's definitely a good addition to your diet if eaten in moderation. Just like everything else. :wink:

I make my own cocktail sauce using lower sugar ketchup and horseradish.
  • FireNGlory
    Options
    So I was looking at my choices and searching for a good protein to fat ratio. Here’s what I found: Tunafish is 1:6, Soybeans are 8:11, eggs are 5:6… Shrimp is 1:21!
    Um, other way around... :-) 1 gram fat for 21 grams of protein... My bad... lol
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Yum! I like mine sauteed with garlic.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um, other way around... :-) 1 gram fat for 21 grams of protein... My bad... lol
    Heehee. That makes more sense.
  • FireNGlory
    Options
    Yum! I like mine sauteed with garlic.
    I don't know if it's just that we have good fresh shrimp here, but I steam 'em with a half-cup of white vinegar, a few squirts of lemon juice and a bit of Old Bay in the water... They are fantastic just like that. no need for cocktail sauce or butter or anything. The vinegar makes the peels fall right off, too. They are wonderful.