Chin-Ups

Options
Behl9
Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
I have never had a lot of upper body strength but, I am starting to focus more on strength training than I have in the past. I would really like to be able to do chin-ups/pull-ups... How do I start? Even in my younger days when we had to do these in gym I couldn't complete one rep. Any tips on the best way to work myself up to these?

Replies

• AlternateName
    AlternateName Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Start off by doing negatives. That means use a chair or something to get yourself up where your chin is above the level of the bar. Then step off and lower yourself down as slowly as you can using your arm and back muscles (chin-ups work your biceps and lats). Rinse and repeat.

Once you get a bit stronger, you will be able to do a regular chin-up, and just keep working it from there. Good luck!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to injure yourself with negatives.

Some gyms have a dip/chin machine. Check that out.
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    And conversely, you can also use the chair to assist yourself up for every rep. It'll be tempting to use your legs to push off, but you'll know when you're doing it. The goal is to work slowly at it so that you need your legs less and less. But there's no shame in doing it, and it can also be a safe alternative because your legs are there for support if your run out of gas in your arms and back.

Even many men are surprised when they find out that they can't do a single proper pull-up, despite the stereotypes that we're "supposed to be stronger than THIS!" :)
  • Behl9
    Behl9 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks you guys!! I feel like I have a good starting point now... wish me luck :)
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean girl!! i'm trying to achieve that also! Just ONE...lol I have started using the assisted dip/pull up machine...!! its still hard though..! im working on it!