Protein

Options
It seems to me that the protein numbers that MyFitnessPal came up for me are WAY off.

I sit on my butt all day long at a computer desk...however I do P90X at night and nearly EVERY article you read about protein says you need 1g of protein per gram of body weight. I know there are some suggestions that aren't qutie in line for that, but I'm about 180lbs and it has me consuming less than 100g of protein a day. I eat more like 225g a day.

If you think I'm crazy let me know....if you think I'm doing it "right"...let me know...I'm just wondering why its so freaking low.

I'm not interested in changing my intake though - my 30 days results on P90X are pretty awesome.

Replies

• seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    reedman- you can change the percents in your food goals so it will match what the P90X nutrition guide is suggesting for you. Then you can adjust it for each phase as well. I'm glad you getting great results! It is an awesome workout!

Michelle (seachelle)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    MFP was designed so you can edit your goals and determine your micronutrients.

P90X has a very specific plan for very specific reasons. Not everyone can go on that diet safely, hehe.

Nice 30-Day photo by the way!
  • vymagic10
    vymagic10 Posts: 2
    Options
    i am also on p90x, I struggle with the eating, what is a normal eating day like for you as we are around the same weight and Im almost at day 30
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    It seems to me that the protein numbers that MyFitnessPal came up for me are WAY off.

I sit on my butt all day long at a computer desk...however I do P90X at night and nearly EVERY article you read about protein says you need 1g of protein per gram of body weight. I know there are some suggestions that aren't qutie in line for that, but I'm about 180lbs and it has me consuming less than 100g of protein a day. I eat more like 225g a day.

If you think I'm crazy let me know....if you think I'm doing it "right"...let me know...I'm just wondering why its so freaking low.

I'm not interested in changing my intake though - my 30 days results on P90X are pretty awesome.

Hey I've read about that too, and I think you're wrong, Im almost sure the recommended amount is 1g of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight.

Eating too much protein wont help building muscle, in fact, the excedent is converted to fat!

Check it out in: http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Hope this helps!
  • TheJackyl
    TheJackyl Posts: 88
    Options

Hey I've read about that too, and I think you're wrong, Im almost sure the recommended amount is 1g of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight.

Eating too much protein wont help building muscle, in fact, the excedent is converted to fat!

Hope this helps!

Per Kilo sounds much more correct. I've been reading a book designed for eating properly for athletes and even when at the highest training levels the recommendation is 0.9 grams per pound. During light intensity training (less than 8 hours per week) the recommendation is 0.5 grams per pound.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

The article cites 1.8g per kg for building muscle or intense training. However, this recommendation is for long-term health.

The P90X diets that recommend higher protein intake is very short term and eventually shifts to an intake of 20% protein (which is what the article also recommends).
  • reedman
    reedman Posts: 35
    Options
    i am also on p90x, I struggle with the eating, what is a normal eating day like for you as we are around the same weight and Im almost at day 30

I start off my day with a ProV60 shake and a piece of fruit - thats my breakfast. I'd love to have an actual meal, but I don't allow time for it in the morning so thats the best I can do.

Before lunch I'll either have another piece of fruit or a P90X peak performance protein bar.

Then I eat a smart lunch - sometimes a ham/turkey/cheese sandwich on wheat bread with some chips (not baked - hate those) or maybe some almonds...I drink water or crystal light lemonade or shakeologly with it. If i have some left overs or another cooked meal it will be chicken or fish. If I eat chicken or fish for lunch I'll have veggies and either rice or noodles.

After lunch and before dinner I'll have another snack - usually yogurt or fruit.

Then for dinner I have either chicken or fish...veggies again...and some type of noodle dish or rice dish.

After my work outs I'll drink the P90X recovery formula and and sometimes I'll drink another protein shake or a Shakeology before I go to bed.

Thats pretty much my diet. If you don't have one of those George Foreman type grills...I'd get one. It makes cooking chicken and fish SO easy and you don't have to use any oil or butter to cook them. I love my GE cooker. I put the thawed fish/chicken on it...turn it up to 8 minutes and close the lid.
  • brainey100
    brainey100 Posts: 27
    Options
    I was going way over too. I have since customized MFP to reflect my diet and heightened activity. I've always been told to eat 1g of protein per 1lb of lean body mass (total weight - fat weight) if you work out a lot. I'm doing P90X as well, but I have had to cut out my protein shakes because of the calories. I'm still getting what I need through diet, though.