Shoe recommendations please!

Options
In a nutshell, I have the worst time picking out good work out shoes! I have issues with walking on the sides of my feet, causing painful callouses. I have yet to find a shoe with great cushion and lasts after one or two times in the washing machine. What are some of your favorites? I absolutely HATE shoe shopping....odd being a woman, I know! Lol!

Replies

• MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I like my Gel Asics.
    I even survived jumping rope.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    Washing machine????? That will ruin a shoe fast. You should take the time (and spend the money) to get a quality shoe from the start. Workout shoes will not last forever (3-6 months tops). The actual structure of the shoe will start to diminish well before the outter appearance of the shoe goes.

Check out New Balance 1200 series. This line is a full cushion shoe that is also wider than most other brands. Check out Joe's New Balance online. They carry disconnectiuned (heavily discounted) shoes. Good Luck!
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I went to a running shop and they were able to fit me perfectly.
  • VTMudRunner
    VTMudRunner Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree don't put them in the washing machine ever and Never in the dryer! I work at a specialty running store where we "fit" people for shoes. I suggest looking for a running store near you and have them fit you.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Lol! Yes, washing machine! I live in the wilderness and mud is a daily part of life for me. It's hard to find a shoe that doesn't cause pain when I wear them for an entire workout. Granted, my feet aren't as fat as they used to be, but I still have problems with foot "hot spots" and the more cusion-the better!
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I went from a Nike lifetime believer to an Asics Gel convert. I love these shoes!!!! I will always look at them first from now on. I didn't buy "top of the line" either. Try on a bunch of different kinds. Running store advice as mentioned is always beneficial, as they can spot your walking/running style (pronate, supination) and help you find the right shoe for YOU. But I'd look at the Asics gels out of all their recommendations first. :)
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    Take the time go to a store like lady foot locker (or any other specialty shoe store) and have them measure and fit you. They will be able to find the perfect fit for your feet and stance. It's impossible for some random person on the internet to tell you the best shoe for you. Seriously, take the time and go get your feet sized, don't be embarrassed to ask it's their job. Once you find the right shoe your feet will thank you.
  • Only1tracie
    Options
    I just got Jillian Michaels K-Swiss tubes. They are by far the best work out shoe I have ever had. I purchased three pairs with in a month before finally getting these( thanks to my someone special, he got them for me:) I can do my work outs, treadmill, jumping and running with out my feet or shins hurting right away. Also, they are a mesh type material that air flows theough that keeps your feet cool and not hot and sweaty.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell, I have the worst time picking out good work out shoes! I have issues with walking on the sides of my feet, causing painful callouses. I have yet to find a shoe with great cushion and lasts after one or two times in the washing machine. What are some of your favorites? I absolutely HATE shoe shopping....odd being a woman, I know! Lol!

The last 4 pairs of my running shoes have never been inside of a washing machine or a dryer EVER. Asics for the normal runner but if your serious about running go with something like Nike free, Newtons, five finger, or just a plain old Chuck Taylor.
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    I go to a place that sells running shoes, you can run on a treadmill & they video tape your feet while running to see how you land as you run, thereby being able to fit you to the right shoe. Buying a good pair of running shoes will be money well spent. I also live in the country, meaning more than one pair of running shoes is often necessary. NEVER wash them!! You have the wear another pair while one pair dries out( I put newspaper inside of them and keep changing it until the paper is no longer wet ), then when dry clapping them together to get the dried mud off. No, they won't ever look like new again, but they won't be ruined by the washing washine & dryer. Good luck!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    F#cking ascis made me get a stress facture. My husband the same! Stay away!

Get new balance! :D
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just got Ryka's and love them. Asics are on my wish list for the next brand for me to try.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I am a firm Nike enthusiast, but I went with my mom when she was trying on New Balance shoes for walking and working out. Let me tell you, they were so comfortable and light!!! They have all different styles that support whatever activity you do. I would suggest a cross-training shoe from New Balance.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    well i have never put my shoes through the washing machine, but i LOVE my reebok realflex shoes as well as my reebok vibetech shoes. both work really well for me and have a lot of cushion while still being light weight.
    i also really love new balance shoes and they come in a variety of widths so you may be able to find one that works better for your stride.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Buying a good pair of running shoes will be money well spent. I also live in the country, meaning more than one pair of running shoes is often necessary. NEVER wash them!!

This. It really is true and unfortunately must be done for comfort.
  • stage5
    stage5 Posts: 12
    Options
    See an Osteopath 1st to get feet sorted.
  • nrsloat
    nrsloat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth the extra money to go to a running store that can fit you with the proper shoes for your feet. Prior to getting fitted for shoes I had ankle and knee pain when running. After getting fitted I have zero pain. It makes a HUGE difference!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    F#cking ascis made me get a stress facture. My husband the same! Stay away!

Get new balance! :D

You do realize that More runners choose Asics shoe then any other brand. So the shoes dont cause stress fractures otherwise LOTS of runners would be reporting this problem. Maybe its the path you are both running.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Lol! Yes, washing machine! I live in the wilderness and mud is a daily part of life for me. It's hard to find a shoe that doesn't cause pain when I wear them for an entire workout. Granted, my feet aren't as fat as they used to be, but I still have problems with foot "hot spots" and the more cusion-the better!
    I'm in the wilderness too. I just got myself a new pair of waterproof Hiking boots just for that reason. (for hikes, & walks, not running)
    However I did see some trail shoes(for running) in that section too, just a thought, you might want to check that out too.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Brooks work great for my messed up feet. They were recommended to me after a fitting at a running store (Run Tex). They're kind of pricey ($110), but so worth it because without them, I probably couldn't run at all. If all else fails, you should look into getting orthotics, supportive insoles created from a mold of your foot.