Teach me to Run Barefoot

Options
wwk10
wwk10 Posts: 244 Member
I just started running. I am interested in running barefoot. I know a little bit about the reasoning (The shock from hard heel plants)
Running barefoot seems straightforward ---- Take off your shoes and run, but is there anything I should know?
BTW I will be running on a flat beach with hard packed sand.
Also I will be truly barefoot, and not wearing those cute, new rubber foot glove things.

Thanks

Replies

• gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I think you have the jist of it. Some folks recommend slowly working your way from regular shoes to min. shoes to barefoot. If you just started and you got the right area to train, I say go barefoot, but do it slowly. Listen to your body. I wouldn't go run 15 miles the first go round, ease into it.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. Wear supportive athletic shoes. I ran 3 miles barefoot once. I had trouble with the arch in one foot off and on for a couple of years after that.
  • gdunn55
    Options
    Again.. Ease into it. We've gotten so used to running with shoes that anything barefoot is foreign. I'd do something similiar to a couch to 5k. I'd walk the first couple of times. The next couple of times I'd walk, run a little, and finish it out walking. And slowly build like that.
  • wwk10
    Options
    Thanks
    I did C25K once. Now I just Run 3 minutes/ Walk 3 minutes.
    I am trying to dial in my distance and total time etc. which I think is going to be 2 miles with 3-4 sections of walking and 3-4 sections of runing. Once I have my routine, I will slowly increase the run intervals and decrease the walking.

I hope the hard sand is going to be more forgiving than other surfaces.

I guess avoiding hard heel strikes will just happen naturally as my foot tries to minimize the impact without cushionng shoes and also tries to avoids sharp objects and slight differences in terrain etc. I think this means I will be running more flat footed. Is that correct?

Do I need to be conscious of how my foot strikes or just let it happen?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The book Run Bare is a perfect resource for answering your questions, talks about how, why, when, surfaces, etc etc. Very good read on Barefoot Running. It's not as simple as you think,
  • gdunn55
    Options
    The book Run Bare is a perfect resource for answering your questions, talks about how, why, when, surfaces, etc etc. Very good read on Barefoot Running. It's not as simple as you think,
    That's probably waaaaaay better than any advice you could get here on running barefoot.
  • wwk10
    Options
    "It's not as simple as you think"
    I thought it might not be as simple as I think.
    Thats why I asked.

Does that mean dont do it until I am better educated?
  • wwk10
    Options
    One Bump before the end of the day.

Should I wait until I am better educated (reading Run Bare)?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I think you can also find some great articles in Runners World (www.runnersworld.com) I've been tempted to try it myself but I think I also accomplished some of the objectives by running outdoors in the winter. Specifically to stop from falling in icy conditions I had to shorten my stride and consciously develop a midfoot strike rather than heel.
  • gdunn55
    Options
    The most common mistake anyone who goes barefooted or wears like a Vibram Five Finger is they don't build it up, they just go b.a.lls to the wall and try to run a half marathon without training for it and get hurt.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Watch for sharp stuff and poo, that's all you really need worry about.
  • wwk10
    Options
    I thinl im going to try it.
    I re-read web site barefootrunning.gas.Harvard.dry.
    Instead of heel strike I want to hit the pad of my foot behind the toes that are not your big toe.

I'm not going to think about it though. I'm just going to try it.
    I still run 3 minutes, walk 3 so I don't think ill over do it.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options

There are a lot of good websites out there - a lot of good youtube videos as well. Running on the beach is actually very hard on your joints compared to running on trails or clay etc. - the up side is that it is a great place to be able to actually see if you are heel-striking. Contrary to what someone said above, I have read - almost exclusively - that it is recommended to start out barefoot - even if you are planning to wear minimalist shoes in the end, so that you can learn to run with the proper form. I spent a great deal of time barefoot on the beach last year checking my foot prints before I ran a whole marathon in vibrams.

The most important thing for barefoot running (really bare) is to go very slowly (not run slowly, but increase your distance slowly) focusing on form. (Check out Chai and Pose forms on youtube). If you heel-strike barefoot, you *will* do more damage to your joints than you will in traditional trainers. Keep your knees bent. I wrote on another thread that something that both pro- and con- barefoot researchers agree on is that keeping your knees bent and reducing the up-and-down bounce above the waistline as much as possible is easier on the joints.

There are a couple of facebook groups that give good, experienced advice regarding both barefoot and minimalist running. You will have a slew of issues going totally bare that I can't give any advice on.

Of course - if you jump out there and run 3 miles barefoot, heel-striking and ignoring the needs of your body, you will get hurt. The fact is, up until the 70s everyone ran in minimalist shoes. People didn't start running once the specialty shoe was invented.
  • wwk10
    Options
    http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu
    I was typing on my phone and auto correct changed the web site.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Here is a documentary on running which includes barefoot running available online. I am not sure if it is only available to canadians? It is on the Canadian Broadcasting Corperation. It is on the Nature of Things which may be available elsewhere if you can't watch it.

http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/the-perfect-runner.html?subpage=information
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    maybe it might help if your run bare naked too.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    1) Take your shoes off
    2) Start running!
  • sarisfat
    sarisfat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    maybe it might help if your run bare naked too.

hhaahahahahahahah
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    EASE into it. If u do 3 mins run & 3 mins walk, i would stop after that. If u keep going until u got 2-3 miles u will get hurt
  • wwk10
    Options
    I kept my shoes on. I'm going to try to find someone locally to give me pointers.
    its getting easier
    2 miles :smile: