Stupid Question, but I haven´t found a reliable answer yet

Options
2»

Replies

• adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know "for sure" but I started deducting my normal resting heart rate calorie burns from the burn that shows up no my HRM after a workout. It just seemed like common sense to me.... if I'm burning 1.5 calories per minute just sitting on my butt, then I need to take that into account when I'm entering my actual exercise calories.

So, yeah, I do what you said - if my HRM said 300 cals burned for a 30 minute workout, I subtract 45 from 300 (30 minutes at 1.5 resting = 45 cals) and give myself 255 cals burned for that workout.

If it's wrong... oh well... I'd rather under-estimate my burn a bit than overestimate it a lot, yah?
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It doesn't quite average out like that. Your BMR may be 2400; however, you dictate that by entering your daily lifestyle activity level. If you were sedentary, then, the BMR would not be 2400. Also, don't assume that 100 calories is gone every hour as your energy expenditure is different throughout the day. First, it's important to know that a "calorie" a unit of heat used to measure energy. You are burning additional calories during strenuous activity such as exercise. Example... it takes 140 calories for a 180 pound man to run 1 mile (approx.) Secondly, your metabolic rate remains elevated as your body works to "recover" from the additional energy expended to compensate for the demands you are placing on your body. After running, your BMR can remain elevated for nearly an hour; however, a good session of weight training, i.e. squats and deadlifts can have your BMR skyrocketed for 18 to 24 hours AFTER exercise. Yes, you will actually be burning additional calories as you sit on the couch later thay night recovering from the weight training session.

This is what I was thinking. No way you could say 100 calories every hour and estimate that simply. There are times when you burn more when your body is conducting extra processes, and times when you're burning less (they've done studies that show the more you stand, the more calories you burn...they've done studies for everything, though, so...), plus with the increase in calorie burn following a workout....well, wouldn't it all just even out in the end anyhow? I'd say stop trying to do the math and just trust in the process. (Of course, I got a degree in English...we always say "stop trying to do math" ;) )
  • ullrichMEX
    ullrichMEX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thank friends for all your valuable information, all make sense.

:D
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Absolutely includes the 100 calories you would have burned had you done nothing at all.
  • kazzari
    Options
    After reading other responses, I maybe misunderstood the question. If the treadmill says you just burned 400 calories, that is not in addition to what you would have burned during that time period regardless of what those calories would have been. Keep in mind BMR are the calories you burn if you were laying in bed doing absolutely nothing but staying alive. I suppose that can vary, but I wouldn't think it would vary by much. After wearing a BodyBugg for two years I learned that I averaged a one calorie per minute burn while sitting at my computer at work, .9 calories while sleeping. Just standing up, that nearly doubled.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    filessharenatorcom_YG6vv_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181195.gif

:laugh: Just laughed and snorted at my desk! Think they know i'm not working! :blushing:
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Why worry so much about those 100 calories? If you figure your TDEE (Total Daily Energy expenditure), you are using more than your BMR (body AT REST) in a day. So even if you eat those 100 extra calories you will still be at a deficit and will still lose weight.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    filessharenatorcom_YG6vv_GIF_Collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn-s320x240-181195.gif

lol
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    After reading other responses, I maybe misunderstood the question. If the treadmill says you just burned 400 calories, that is not in addition to what you would have burned during that time period regardless of what those calories would have been. Keep in mind BMR are the calories you burn if you were laying in bed doing absolutely nothing but staying alive. I suppose that can vary, but I wouldn't think it would vary by much. After wearing a BodyBugg for two years I learned that I averaged a one calorie per minute burn while sitting at my computer at work, .9 calories while sleeping. Just standing up, that nearly doubled.

i was thinking about the body bug. you've had yours 2 years? that's awesome. do you recommend on of those over a hrm with a strap?
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    being that you are hooked up to an actual device which is telling you what you are burning at the moment , if it says you burned 400 calories for that time (1hr for ex ) thats what you burned
    your body burns food as energy and if you think of your body as a car it makes more sense

a car at rest burns 1 gallon an hour (idle)
    a car doing 60mph burns 3 gallons
    you wouldnt calculate a car being at rest + doing 60 mph for the hour.. right?
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options

:laugh: Just laughed and snorted at my desk! Think they know i'm not working! :blushing:
    i think if you just eat popcorn there is no way to lose weight since it hardly weighs an ounce right ?
  • kazzari
    Options

i was thinking about the body bug. you've had yours 2 years? that's awesome. do you recommend on of those over a hrm with a strap?

Actually, I got mine back in 2006. I wore it for 2 years straight but I don't wear anymore. I was working as a personal trainer at 24 hour fitness and did not have to pay the monthly fee for the website. Once I no longer work at 24 hour fitness, I discontinued my subscription. Besides I got tired of wearing it and I had learned enough about my body and how it burns calories that I didn't feel I needed to wear it anymore. As for a heart rate monitor, I didn't invest in one until I started doing triathlons. I have never used it for calorie counting purposes, only for endurance training purposes, but since it doesn't count calories beyond the workout, it is not really comparable to a BodyBugg. I don't believe that a heart rate monitor is as accurate as a bodybugg either. I really loved the bodybugg what I wore it, I gave me a lot of good information. But I hate the monthly fee for the website it isn't worth it for me. I am actually thinking very strongly about getting the fit bit. Although not as accurate, it is cheaper and no monthly fee.

Maybe I don't have a very sophisticated heart rate monitor, I just don't see mine as an accurate calorie counter.