4 weeks of effort, and no weight lost

LittleGoatie
LittleGoatie Posts: 9 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
:frown:

I have been recording what I eat for four months, and I usually eat the number of calories that MFP recommends. (I set it up for 1lb weight loss a week). I work out approx. 4-5 days a week.
I have not lost a single pound.
Some good things have happened: I have been struggling with diabetes for years and my numbers are finally looking reasonable, my moods have been better, and I have been felling better. Regardless, I would really like to lose some weight.
Any advice?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Assuming this is 4 weeks as in the title and not 4 months as in the post ....

Just because the scale doesn't change, it doesn't mean your body didn't either. Take measurements and photos. Then keep going.

You're already feeling better. So give it time.

If it's been 4 months, maybe it's time to see a doctor and have your thyroid and other levels checked.
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Have you discussed hormonal issues with your doctor? Diabetes effects insulin (as you know), and when one hormone is affected so are many of your other hormones. If you don't want to go that route, make sure you weigh and measure your portions so you are precise. It's amazing what a 4 oz. steak looks like :(
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    I have been doing this since January and have only lost 3 lbs. Here is what I have found.

1) In April I found out that I have hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). Started taking medicine, but still trying to get my dosage and levels right.

2) I wasn't including strength training in my exercise as much as I should.

3) I wasn't being honest with myself about my food. I would do great at recording everything I ate, until I got home from work, then I'd just "keep track in my head" and convince myself I was doing good.

JUST DON'T GIVE UP! I told myself that no matter what, I was not giving up. So even though it hasn't been the easiest for me, I am sticking to it.
  • decodeme
    decodeme Posts: 2
    Hello, I feel for you - must be really frustrating. I haven't lost any weight either but I realised I wasn't recording lots of little bit of food. Milk in my tea etc. and I have drastically underestimating my portion size. I was guessing my porridge bowl was about 30g of porridge it was more like 60g. Maybe check you're not making the same mistake i did. Maybe try being more active generally as well as your work-outs e.g finding more chores around the house to do just to keep moving rather than vegging on the sofa. good luck !
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Have you discussed hormonal issues with your doctor? Diabetes effects insulin (as you know), and when one hormone is affected so are many of your other hormones. If you don't want to go that route, make sure you weigh and measure your portions so you are precise. It's amazing what a 4 oz. steak looks like :(

This is good advice, as a diabetic you may need to get some input from your doc as well as run tests to make sure everything is in working order to even get things started.

Next, I didn't see any mention of exercise in your post and if you aren't exercising you should start. As far as logging everything, I think most people would be surprised how much they miss each day with the little stuff, like coffee with cream etc. Little items that we don't think count as much add up. :wink:

Stick with it, eventually you will find the right combination of diet and exercise that works just for you and the weight will start to get lost :flowerforyou:
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    How about changing up your workout routine. Just because you are working out 4-5 times a week does not mean you are putting in maximum effort or enough to burn fat and lose weight.
    Before I started on this website, I was working out 4-5 times a week and eating in moderation with no results for a month - When I went to the gym I did 20 minutes on elliptical and 20 minutes treadmill and then on to weights and I thought I was doing something...NOT

....now I have set goals to burn at least 350-450 cals each visit to the gym at 5 times a week which gives me a loss of 1/2 lb at minimum per week plus I cut down my calories to 670 calorie deficit daily and I have lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks so far.

Changing up your workout routine or upping the intensity might help. Good luck!
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Are you drinking enough water? I try to drink at least 2 -3 (1.5Liter) water bottles a day

Maybe there's hidden salt and sugar in what you're eating.

Are you weighing and measuring your food? Maybe get a digital kitchen scale and measuring spoons.

I had to learn NOT to taste when cooking (hidden calories that weren't unaccounted for).

Maybe give up diet sodas they contain a LOT of sodium. Also artifical sweetners trick the body into thinking and responding as if you actually had sugars (so much for that -- have you noticed that as these became more popular people became heavier, the brain sees "sugar" as sugar fake or not).

Another thing that worked for me is often 2-3 a week I ate 100-300 calories less than what my counter said I should. I notice my skinny friends don't eat everything all the time and that's okay.

I know people are offering a lot of suggestions and probable causes. We just all want you to succeed. Because that means we are succeeding also.

All the best,
    Diana
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Just a side note..........Don't forget to count your seasonings........yes, even these have carbs and calories, and you'd be surprised at how much on some of these.
This discussion has been closed.