Potassium

Options
sapalee
sapalee Posts: 409 Member
I alwys come up really low on potassium despite all the fruits and veggies I eat. It has been great tracking them here and seeing what has what but still having a hard time getting to my goal.

I prefer food sources but does anyone supplement with potassium?

Replies

• Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take potassium supplements daily and also drink the 20 calorie gatorade while exercising. My calves used to cramp like a screaming banshee until I upped my potassium. I can't eat banana's because they give me gut rot, so I took the pill route. Helped a lot.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My chiro recommended I take a supplement because of all the time I spend in the gym (was going 5-7 days a week working out at least 45 minutes to an hour each day, sometimes much more). His honest advice was - "it's nearly impossible to get enough from food...and it can't hurt!" I take my supplement every day.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Do note that many entries do not contain potassium that really IS there, due to it not being a mandatory ingredient.

The USDA entries usually do. (You can tell these because they don't have the *)
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    try coconut water great source of potassium and electrolytes
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Do note that many entries do not contain potassium that really IS there, due to it not being a mandatory ingredient.

Ooh, good to know. I do use the non asterick entries whenever possible, usually with the produce.

I'll look into supplements, maybe I can find a low dose one to just fill in the gaps on really low days.
  • ShawnDMuth
    ShawnDMuth Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Banana, coconut water and daily high quality mulit vitamin.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options

Eh? Where are these asterisks? I've just scrolled through a load of entries and I don't see any. Am I being thick?
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My chiro recommended . His honest advice was - "it's nearly impossible to get enough from food...and it can't hurt!" I take my supplement every day.

Actually it can hurt. If you have an underlying disease, it can cause problems. Before taking a supplement, you should consult your physician.
  • cliffdc
    cliffdc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    po ta to
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are loaded with potassium

Take a look at your sodium though. If you are really low in sodium you do not need a ton of potassium. Electrolyte balance is important here
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I work with Drs and they said its not good to take a potassium suppliment unless recommended by your doctor as you can do damage to your heart if you are taking too much.
    Find you potassium in things like Baked potatoes and green leafy veggies. Put lemon on the potato if you are worried about the glycemic index.

just an FYI
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Broccoli has a lot of potassium (more than bananas even). Potatoes are also good, but make sure you're eating the skins, as that is where most of the nutrients are.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    Potato skins have Potasium and so does brocilli. So scrape out that white potato and toss it ;)
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I remember for a few months I ate a banana every single morning and when I went to the doctor they tested me and potassium showed up as being the highest vitamin in my body!
  • zeuslalala
    zeuslalala Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Low sodium v8 tomato juice is a good source, there is also a light progresso soup (I think it's the light vegetable soup +/- 600mg) hope that helps...
  • MrsCanuck
    MrsCanuck Posts: 16
    Options
    I remember for a few months I ate a banana every single morning and when I went to the doctor they tested me and potassium showed up as being the highest vitamin in my body!

Oh wow. I eat a banana every day for breakfast. My potassium must be really high too. :)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about Potassium. I just posted this on my summary. Getting enough Potassium really helps with water balance and reduces bloating. Here is a great article: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

10 foods highest in Potassium: 1.Dried Chervil & other dried herbs, 2.avocados,3.Paprika & red chilis, 4.Cocoa powder & chocolate, 5. Dried Apricots, currants, zante & raisins,6.Pistachios,7.seed~pumpkin,flax,squash,sunflower, 8. Fish: Pompano,Halibut,Tuna, 9.Beans, 10. Dates
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Potassium also helps to prevent muscle cramps.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    The potassium/sodium ratio is important down to the cellular level for muscles, etc to function correctly. I changed my default potassium target up to 4.7g as you generally want to consume twice as much potassium as sodium. I agree with the other post that potassium isn't listed on a lot of foods, so I don't generally worry if I am under.

Avocados, raw cocoa, and unsalted pistachios are my favorite sources.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, strawberries, lentils, bananas