Help! I'm HUNGRY

Options
From January 2010 to spring 2011 I lost and kept off 30 lbs using this site. In summer/fall of 2011 I became extremely emotionally and physically stressed and put it ALL BACK ON!! I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and a lot of it. I also drank a lot.

Now I'm struggling. I am HUNGRY! HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY! Just sticking to maintenance calories is extremely difficult. I've been eating better and better again. I've cut out most junk/sugar/alcohol. I'm getting quality and craving QUANTITY.

I did this before! It was NEVER this hard the first time. Today I ate a good healthy solid breakfast and lunch and my stomach is GRUMBLING 2 hours later. I drink 2 glasses of water and it's still going.

I'm having a hard time stopping the weight gain - not even close to losing yet.

Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have gone through this several times in the last few years. I have found that the only thing that keeps me on track and takes away my cravings is exercising until I feel like I will die in my gym's group classes, five days a week, and also eating healthy foods. And no sugary sweets. That was the hardest to give up, but after about a week, my cravings went away. Those things worked for me. I hope you can find what works for you.
  • devonmcpherson
    devonmcpherson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have read many different nutritionist point of view. The one that works for me is actually to eat about every 2-3 hours. You can still stay in your calorie guidelines but its OK that your body wants to eat more frequently. This actually helps your metabolism burn all day long. If your hungry...go ahead and eat.
  • NetteH13
    NetteH13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The worst thing you could do is be hungry and NOT eat. Just be smart bout WHAT you eat. I personally eat something every 2-3 hours also. This helps me to NOT be hungry while also helping my metabolism. Also, eat things that have the quality and quantity. For me, that type of things is a good turkey sandwhich using 100% whole weat bread, or a grilled chick salad with lots of veggies and unseasoned grilled chicken (you can use season if you want, just in moderation). If you find this to continue to be a problem, visit your local GNC and ask about a good appetite suppressant. Good luck on your journey.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What kinds of food are you eating exactly? Be sure to eat tons of protein, fats, and veggies. Those are the most filling foods.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Could be some haywire hormones in your brain.
    Keep food out of site during the day. Feed healthy and frequently.
    Eat the heck out of vegetables, and have some lower cal fruit.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I eat lots and lots of veggies. I think during my bad phase I got really really hooked on bad carbs. The cravings are getting a little less each day.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't really hungry, your brain is playing with you. Play with it back, feed it when you think you are hungry, feed it healthy foods, high in protein and healthy fats, and gradually the feelings will probably come less.

Good luck. It sucks being here second time around.
  • RaysFan80
    RaysFan80 Posts: 27
    Options
    Definitely make sure you're eating every 2-3 hours. When my body is detoxing from extreme carb overload (like it is right now!), I feel like I'm hungry when I shouldn't be. I almost lost it yesterday and hit the vending machine, but someone I met on here talked me down. One of my tricks is keeping sugar free jell-o around. A half cup serving is only 5 calories, it's filling, and it gets me through whatever I'm craving (even bad, salty, greasy things!). Plus, it kills that massive sweet tooth I have. :)
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    remember those cravings are not going to go away right away.. I keep low sodium v8 around, sugar free jello also... I want my glass of red wine at night.. I am the opposite when I am stressed, I don't eat.. this whole divorce bs that my POS soon to be ex-husband decided to put me through (the DAY I came home from the hosptial) has thrown me into some awesome exercise, smoking again (not proud of that but whatever I felt like it!), and an overally happy he is GONE from my life :laugh: Hey went from a size 10 to a baggy size 4
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but your appetite WILL adjust. I have a thyroid condition that causes my methbolism to skyrocket and my appetite to rage out of control. When they put me on meds to control it, my metabolism calmed right down but not my appetite. In talking with my doctor about it, he told me that if I ate normal quantities the appetite would adjust. He said it would only take a week or two. And he was right! Unfortunately, appetite is not always tied to your metabolism. Sometimes it's just your body being used to a certain amount of food. Give it a couple of weeks, and you should be back in the groove!

And best of luck to you :)