Reposting CDC stats because EVERYONE should see them

Options

Replies

• mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    This morning on the news they said there is a link between mom's being obese and children being autistic. There was a higher likely hood that if you are obese while you are pregnant for this to happen. They didn't mention the research data and how many people were studied or how long they did this study. So I don't know how valid this study was but it's something to think about.

They have been trying to find an explanation for the rise in autism numbers too. everything from the age of the mother to environmental factors. Plus it's just better documented now with the varying degrees of autism too.
  • Generalle
    Generalle Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ummm, it clearly states it is based off BMI, the heading is very clear, as is the explanation at the bottom - Percent of Obese (BMI > 30) in U.S. Adults & The data shown in these maps were collected through the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), on the basis of self-reported weight and height - which is how BMI is calculated.
    I completely agree with you, in that these statistics are extremely alarming, however I've never used BMI as an overall health indicator. At 20% body fat, which puts me in the 'athletic' category I'm still classed as being overweight. All my recent (in the last month) blood tests have come back in the healthy category as well. So while I don't dispute there is a massive problem, sometimes these studies are exactly accurate.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this! Gonna be honest, I blame the food industry. When legislators push to have a tablespoon of tomato paste count as a serving of vegetables, and the corn farmers' association advertising that HFCS is just like any other sugar, I know who's convincing America to just shut up and eat. >[

^^^ I love this!!

Thanks for reposting the link when the thread was locked, OP.

I agree! I was INFURIATED when they allowed the tomato paste on SCHOOL PIZZA to be counted as a serving of vegetables. Ridiculous!
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    tVwZ7.gif

Edited it to work as a gif on this thread, it's pretty shocking!
    1 in every 4 is obese... A quarter of the WHOLE country....

HEYYY!!! How'd you do that! I see the coding by hitting quote, but what's the logic behind how to do it with anything?
  • Generalle
    Options
    according to my BMI I am over weight. :laugh:

Funniest *kitten* ever!!!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Glad I saw this! Gonna be honest, I blame the food industry. When legislators push to have a tablespoon of tomato paste count as a serving of vegetables, and the corn farmers' association advertising that HFCS is just like any other sugar, I know who's convincing America to just shut up and eat. >[

^^^ I love this!!

I agree! I was INFURIATED when they allowed the tomato paste on SCHOOL PIZZA to be counted as a serving of vegetables. Ridiculous!

That is ridiculous...
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    This morning on the news they said there is a link between mom's being obese and children being autistic. There was a higher likely hood that if you are obese while you are pregnant for this to happen. They didn't mention the research data and how many people were studied or how long they did this study. So I don't know how valid this study was but it's something to think about.

They have been trying to find an explanation for the rise in autism numbers too. everything from the age of the mother to environmental factors. Plus it's just better documented now with the varying degrees of autism too.

VERY interesting because NIH has been researching for so long to figure out what is causing higher rates of autism! Interesting link.
  • Generalle
    Options

^^^ I love this!!

That is ridiculous...

You only have to watch the Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution to know what a joke it is trying to change the way people (bureaucrats) viewed the food they were serving.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

^^^ I love this!!

That is ridiculous...

And this is what children are learning! The tomato on my pizza counts as vegetables! Does the tomato in the ketchup on my CHEESEBURGER count as one too? Sigh :noway:
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    The data shown in these maps were collected through the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), on the basis of self-reported weight and height. Each year, state health departments use standard procedures to collect data through a series of monthly telephone interviews with U.S. adults. Prevalence estimates generated for the maps may vary slightly from those generated for the states by the BRFSS as slightly different analytic methods are used.

How many people did they get the information from? If you only call 100 people and 50 are overweight. Than 50 percent of the people are overweight! In order for these stats to be TRUE tehy would have had to get the info for EVERY person in the state. Not just a handful.
  • lukeout007
    Options

^^^ I love this!!

That is ridiculous...

And this is what children are learning! The tomato on my pizza counts as vegetables! Does the tomato in the ketchup count as one too? Sigh :noway:

At that point then they may as well be counting a snickers bar as a serving of nuts....
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    The data shown in these maps were collected through the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), on the basis of self-reported weight and height. Each year, state health departments use standard procedures to collect data through a series of monthly telephone interviews with U.S. adults. Prevalence estimates generated for the maps may vary slightly from those generated for the states by the BRFSS as slightly different analytic methods are used.

How many people did they get the information from? If you only call 100 people and 50 are overweight. Than 50 percent of the people are overweight! In order for these stats to be TRUE tehy would have had to get the info for EVERY person in the state. Not just a handful.

You don't have to get data from every single person to have a statistically valid population sample.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

^^^ I love this!!

That is ridiculous...

And this is what children are learning! The tomato on my pizza counts as vegetables! Does the tomato in the ketchup count as one too? Sigh :noway:

At that point then they may as well be counting a snickers bar as a serving of nuts....

haha, nice one. I tried to think of more foods, but all I could think of were poor examples. Sure, nuts in snickers! They are healthy for you! OHHH and that slice of cheese on my cheeseburger! Guess what?! It counted as a serving of dairy!!!!
  • lukeout007
    Options

You don't have to get data from every single person to have a statistically valid population sample.

You also don't automatically have a statistically valid population sample just because you've interviewed 100 (or even 1000) people.
  • lukeout007
    Options

^^^ I love this!!

That is ridiculous...

haha, nice one. I tried to think of more foods, but all I could think of were poor examples. Sure, nuts in snickers! They are healthy for you! OHHH and that slice of cheese on my cheeseburger! Guess what?! It counted as a serving of dairy!!!!

Sure...peanut butter swirl ice cream? Dairy AND nuts...bam.
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options

BULL! So your trying to say that if I called 100 people in a buisness of 10,000, and 50 of those 100 people are OBESE. Then 50% of that business is OBESE! Try again!
  • bjwbmw
    bjwbmw Posts: 55
    Options
    I watched a documentary yesterday - America the Beautiful 2. I t had some very interesting information and was presented in a thought provoking fashion.

Arnold Schwarzeneggar (spelling) has a BMI of 38.... He may have cheated on his wife but he is not obese.

I recommend it.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System

You also don't automatically have a statistically valid population sample just because you've interviewed 100 (or even 1000) people.

Correct, but once you have interviewed a specific number, the confidence level can get no higher, rendering it a statistically valid sample size.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Arnold Schwarzeneggar (spelling) has a BMI of 38....

LMAO....isn't that considered morbidly obese?
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

BULL! So your trying to say that if I called 100 people in a buisness of 10,000, and 50 of those 100 people are OBESE. Then 50% of that business is OBESE! Try again!

Umm, I didn't say anything about how many specifically you had to interview. I said you don't have to interview everyone to get a statistically valid sample.