I need help!

Options
When I was younger I wasn't the smallest, but I was "chubby" but very active, (soccer, cheerleading, always outside , etc;) Well I stopped soccer when I was about 15, and met friends who ate and wasn't very active. Well I started gaining weight. And last year I let my depression get the best of me, and I gained A LOT of weight. I am 5'2" and weigh about 275 and i'm only 19. I don't have a job, and am going to school. My dad owns his own business and we are a little tight on money. But every time my mom says we are both going to change out eating habits, it lasts for a few days then she's back to the candy and junk food. I really need help. I can't afford my own food, and I am a person who needs some kind of support. My boyfriend supports me and wants to lose weight also, but he works a lot so he ends up eating badly. I want to become a vegetarian, but it is so hard for me to get started. I am going to start walking a couple times a week with my dog, and do cardio and strength training a few days a week. But I need help with my diet. Any advice, please and thank you.

I would love maybe a example grocery list and about how much it should cost for a vegetarian diet. But I will take any advice you can give.

Thank you,
myehamber

Replies

• Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, although I only meat 3 times a week or so. I may not be the best one to help entirely because I slip to junk food every once in awhile. I can tell what you works for my fiancé and I is the power of juicing! We spend about $30 a week on fruits and vegetables, then we just juice them into 2 glasses for a replacement of breakfast and a small snack. I can tell you that since we have done that we have felt so "alive" with natural energy. We have a Jack LaLanne juicer that works awesome, but I'm sure anything would do. We also have a George Foreman grill to cook a little healthier.

The reason we started juicing was because of a documentary we saw on Netflix, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." I recommend checking that out! Good luck!
  • Alienpoptart417
    Alienpoptart417 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do that, but I recently sold my juicer because of some of the reasons i previously listed. but when I get a job, I am definitely going to get another. I don't really eat much meat to begin with so that wouldn't be a problem for me. Its my depression and junk food.
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I really understand. My mom always bought horrible food because she was a single mom and that's what we could afford. Seriously you need to get the fruits and veggies in how ever you can get them. I did the vegetarian thing for a while, but you don't really get the protein that you need. Weight loss can be done. You really need to watch your calories and excersize is so important. I work out almost every day. I don't have a gym membership. My husband and I walk a lot. It's pretty simple don't exceed you calorie intake.
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    30 minutes of cardio a day can actually help with your depression. Maybe aim for that to begin with. There are also several sites where you can find some good and FREE workout videos. I like www.BodyRock.tv. With most of the workouts on that site, you are just using your own body weight to exercise. Muscleandstrength.com is another good one. You can choose body weight exercises, if you don't have equipment, and get a great workout at home.

If your family is having money problems, maybe sell them on the idea that eating healthier is cheaper. It seriously is, unless you choose to go completely organic. Anyway, when you're not buying junk, and are planning out healthy meals, you spend less money at the grocery store. On top of that, if you are living a healthier lifestyle, which includes almost daily exercise, you will ALSO spend less time at the doctor's office, which in turn, saves you money, too. If you're not eating a ton of meat already, just maybe keep going that route for now, and just stay away from the junk food.
  • Actually_Mike
    Actually_Mike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I found that out to be true as well! We would buy Doritos, sugary snacks, all the time and pass right by the fresh fruits and veges because they were "too expensive." Now, after not buying that junk food for awhile, fresh items are definitely cheaper and they keep you feeling more full for a longer period of time without having to eat as much when snacking on chips! I think we've actually saved money since we started eating healthier. As for organic, it is kind of pricey in the grocery store so if you live near a Farmer's Market, they always have great deals!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree...take little steps. If you can't control the type of food right now, you can at least control your portion sizes and how much exercise you do. Try for 30 minutes a day of cardio and start measuring serving sizes. Even if it's measuring out one serving of Doritos, it's certainly better than just mindlessly chomping with no idea how much you're eating. When I started out, I didn't do what people like to do and ditch all the "bad" food in their house. I couldn't! We paid for that and I couldn't afford to waste it! So I portioned it out! And I started to learn how small portion sizes really were and what foods filled me up more than others. Little steps to build a healthy lifestyle. Maybe once your mom sees your dedication she will hop on board and allow you to take the lead.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    In order for this to work...YOU need to want it for YOURSELF. Half the battle is the attitude and mindset we are in. It's worked for me because I woke up one day and said ENOUGH WITH EXCUSES!! I'm tired of being tired and fat. I CHOSE to change my lifestyle. I can now cook something for my family that they love but Is not good for me without even tasting it!! (big accomplishment). You can do this! You just really need to focus on all the benefits that will come by getting yourself healthier.
    Body and Mind. Good Luck!
  • Moosiklaydy
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian per say, but I do eat mostly like one. I would suggest stocking up on things that contain high protein because without the animal protein you have to get creative. There is a grain similar to rice called quinoa, which has a decent amount of protein. You could also buy cans of reduced sodium beans as well as Greek yogurt, both of which will give you your protein. There is a website called eatingwell.com that posts tons of healthy recipes, including vegetarian ones. Personally, I spend about $50 dollars a week on my mostly vegetarian lifestyle. I suggest you try to plan meals ahead of time to reduce excess grocery shopping.

Don't give up on this! You're so brave for working to better your health :)
  • Alienpoptart417
    Alienpoptart417 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. And I am ready for a change in my life. And I am going to convince them that eating healthier would be less expensive than buying all junk food. But I am trying to find my own workout schedule. And thanks for all the support.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Use your friends on mfp as your support system. I have learned that you cannot wait on your mom or boyfriend to lose weight with you because as women we need to stop taking care of everyone around us and remember to take care of ourselves first unless you have an infant or young children. I am forty seven and I just learned this February 29, 2012. You can rent excercise dvds at your local library or if you are on facebook just mention that you would love to borrow an excercise dvd and you will be surprised by the responses. You can do this. I have faith that you will accomplish big things with your life.