Options
2»

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    and HRM? what are your opinions?

I'm loving to read all that you've got to say *.*

I use my HRM to gauge how much i am pushing myself. but also to make sure i don't overdo it. The calories burnt are within 10% of runkeeper, so that's good to compare to.

when you're running and THINKING you're out of breath, but see that your heart rate is in the lower half of your target zone (figure out what works for you first), then you know it's just mental, and it's easier to keep going...
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    and HRM? what are your opinions?

I'm loving to read all that you've got to say *.*

HRM depends on what you're trying to achieve from your running? I occasionally use mine, but only if im on a particular training run where i need to monitor it closely. The RPE scale is a good way to judge too, either the 1-10 scale or the 6-20 scale as to how you are during your run.

If you are wanting to stay in the 'fat burning' zone then keep your RPE at about 6 out of 10, if you're wanting cardio workout (work the heart muscle and improve cardio strength and endurance etc) then work at 8 out of 10 on the RPE scale. RPE is Rate of Perceived Exertion, how YOU feel on that scale, 1 being easy and 10 being about to vomit :laugh:

HR for fat burning is 65% of your maximum HR (Max is 220 minus your age) and cardio is 90% of your max, so you can see how this equates to the RPE scale :smile:

Basically if youre wanting to reduce body fat and lose some weight then stick to the 65% HR (6 out of 10) range, if you're wanting to run faster/stronger and improve your times then work at the 90% HR (8 out of 10) range.

Hope that makes sense? but most of all enjoy it :smile:
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    '' Basically if youre wanting to reduce body fat and lose some weight then stick to the 65% HR (6 out of 10) range" -

This first :P

But I would love to be able to run everyday... just for the pleasure of it!

I think it would make me feel better the rest of the day and it would also keep me motivated, as it should hopefuly lead to weight loss :)
  • Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    '' Basically if youre wanting to reduce body fat and lose some weight then stick to the 65% HR (6 out of 10) range" -

I think it would make me feel better the rest of the day and it would also keep me motivated, as it should hopefuly lead to weight loss :)

Not sure why you put your tongue out at me.. haha! ..yes the 'happy endorphins' released during exercise will help your moods through the day, and losing weight/achieving something, even if in bitesized chunks, is ALWAYS motivating ...keep me updated :wink:
  • TaniaMcCormick
    TaniaMcCormick Posts: 60 Member
    Options

Not sure why you put your tongue out at me.. haha! ..yes the 'happy endorphins' released during exercise will help your moods through the day, and losing weight/achieving something, even if in bitesized chunks, is ALWAYS motivating ...keep me updated :wink:

ahah it was more at what I said, because of the fact that I prefere to lose body fat instead of actually getting good at running!

and update- 20 min. running, 2 min. walking, and 10 running today. Oh well!