I can't exercise..?!

Options
Hello all, I am new to MFP and am very excited about what I have seen so far.

I am a very young adult (teen) who is around 40lbs overweight. I am beginning to cut back my calorie intake to 600-800 per day (I have hypothyroidism and a metabolic syndrome, so my intake has to be much less) and I can't exercise. I'm not healthy, I have several severe medical issues...fibromyalgia, chiari malformation, syringomeylia, etc - there's a laundry list. ANY sort of physical excursion kills me physically.

I wish I could intake more calories and burn them by exercising, but I can't at this stage in my life.
Does anyone have any advice for me? Is my current calorie intake too risky? I've tried 1500 calories for a while but I lost nothing - in fact, I think I gained 5-10 lbs by doing so. I can't exercise, so I don't see any other way but to drastically cut off my calorie intake. I am trying to carefully monitor what I eat...70% of my diet is veggies, fruits and protein.

Am I being too risky? Anyone have any advice?

Confused,
Rachael

P.S. I hope I posted this in the right area.

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go below 1200, you should be doing it under a doctor's supervision. Otherwise you risk malnutrition. In particular, because you are still growing, you need to be careful about dieting. You don't want to stunt your growth!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor and get recommendations based on your full list of medical conditions.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor and get recommendations based on your full list of medical conditions.

I dont think you will get a better answer than this one

I would also hit the internet for some research from the actual sources of the information and not someone elses interpretation of the information like on these kinds of sites

you will get alot of suggestions here but only your Doctor can give you specific advice and it sounds like that is what you need

I wish you well
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    i would definitely agree that you should talk to the doc. some exercises that you may be able to do include low impact water aerobics and walking.

best of luck to you
    :heart: aisha
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Also with hyperthyroid individual if you cut your calories too low you worsen your hypothyroidism. Please see your doctor or nurse practitioner.:flowerforyou:
    If you are going to go below 1200, you should be doing it under a doctor's supervision. Otherwise you risk malnutrition. In particular, because you are still growing, you need to be careful about dieting. You don't want to stunt your growth!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Since you have all the physical illnesses you mentioned I assume your under regular doctor's care? Ask him/her what their recommendation is...GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • youknowitstrue
    youknowitstrue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.

Well, I live in rural Mississippi and I have been to 50+ doctors. Some out of state (NC, TN, AL, GA) Not many, if any, understand how to treat most of my conditions. So really at this point, I feel very much on my own. I have been and will continue searching for a doctor that can treat me, but until then, I guess the more research is in order.
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a Chinese doctor. But make sure they are the real deal.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Either a Traditional Chinese Medicine pratitioner or a Bowen therapist could help you.

Can you tell my husband and I are into less pills more natural type healing?
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Also with hyperthyroid individual if you cut your calories too low you worsen your hypothyroidism ...

It could also worsen your other metabolic disorders ... I would definitely classify a 600-800 calorie diet way too risky.
  • glendaz
    glendaz Posts: 55
    Options
    Hello! I just did a brief checking by googling chiari malformation and exercise. Here is what I found:

http://www.pressenter.com/~wacma/bhm-list.htm

Look at #5...it said walking and biking.

There were quite a few websites devoted to it but like the previous posts, I would have a long sit down talk with your physician and see what he/she recommends as far as physical exercise and calorie intake. It may even be worth seeing a nutritionist to help you put together a menu that would work with you.

I wish you luck!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hello :)

I understand having restrictions on your exercise. There is a fitness tape series called Sit and Be Fit. It's very very gentle exercise series that I used before I could walk again. There is some foot movement, no load bearing on knees and you might not break a sweat- but you will at least have moved a bit.

It's for seniors but I used it and I was in my twenties. At the time it gave me a good work out for what I was capable of.

I do second the ideas of talking to your doc tho. Heck, even finding one who understands your conditions would be a bonus!