Blood Pressure

Options
Is it possible to have too low of a blood pressure? I know the normal is 120 over 80, but mine is 84 over 60. I wasn't at the doctors while taking it so I have no idea if that's alright.

Replies

• nurseannie
    nurseannie Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you know what is normal for you? Like 110/70.... Usually when you are working out your BP will rise. If you have dramaticaly decreased your sodium and potassium that could make it drop. If it continues to stay low and you have other symptoms (ie: light headed, dizzy, faint) your may want to call you doctor.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    that's pretty low so I would get that double checked. :-D
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Usually mine is around 95/60's, I've just never had the top number drop below 90 so that kind of freaks me out
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Yeh I thought it was odd too, but we have a blood pressure machine at the house because my mom has a lot of problems with hers being too high so she has to really keep an eye on it. We just dont have insurence so I don't go to the doctors that often.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Many hospitals provide free blood pressure screenings on scheduled dates--don't know about your area, but you can probably google it for your location.
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Many hospitals provide free blood pressure screenings on scheduled dates--don't know about your area, but you can probably google it for your location.

Oh okay, I'll do that. Thank you :]
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Mine is always low. An average for me is about 102/ 62 or so. I was having problems sitting down & standing up and almost passing out (I did pass out a couple of times). My Dr. told me that I needed to make sure I was getting enough sodium. I eat pretty *clean* with limited processed foods so he told me to just add some salt to my food. (something he said he hardly ever has to tell anyone, to add salt! :laugh: )

The nurses almost always ask me if I'm a runner when I get my BP taken (which I am) since it's so low.

I've just learned to be careful and stand up slowly if I've been sitting a while and am careful when I bend over and stand back up (like picking weeds or picking up something off the floor), I don't have any problems. I've never just randomly passed out, it's always been when I have jumped up or stood up too fast after sitting. :sick:
  • redreamingme
    Options
    Mine is always low. An average for me is about 102/ 62 or so. I was having problems sitting down & standing up and almost passing out (I did pass out a couple of times). My Dr. told me that I needed to make sure I was getting enough sodium. I eat pretty *clean* with limited processed foods so he told me to just add some salt to my food. (something he said he hardly ever has to tell anyone, to add salt! :laugh: )

The nurses almost always ask me if I'm a runner when I get my BP taken (which I am) since it's so low.

I've just learned to be careful and stand up slowly if I've been sitting a while and am careful when I bend over and stand back up (like picking weeds or picking up something off the floor), I don't have any problems. I've never just randomly passed out, it's always been when I have jumped up or stood up too fast after sitting. :sick:

Oh wow that must've been so bad, I've never passed out before from standing up, just get light headed is all. I'm glad that you're feeling better now :]
    Thanks for responding
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh wow that must've been so bad, I've never passed out before from standing up, just get light headed is all. I'm glad that you're feeling better now :]
    Thanks for responding

Yeah, thankfully my dh was right there so he caught me. I woke up to him w/ a wet washcloth on my head calling my name!! Scared him for sure! (and me too!)

Good luck!
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    It's because you are super fit jess. I've read that happens to a lot of elite althletes. Their heart rate is just too low that when they change position suddenly, the blood doesn't get to their head in time.