How do you get enough protein?

Options
I have a hard time getting enough protein each day. I'm eating plenty of carbs and healthy fats, but I don't know how to get protein besides eggs and a hunk of meat with dinner. What do you eat?

Replies

• Fernze
    Fernze Posts: 7
    Options
    Protein supplements are your best best.
    Whey isolate is 99.8% protein. good stuff.
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    milk, yogurt, cheese
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What you said plus protien on a salad, like chicken, tuna or turkey for lunch and supplement with protien shakes.
  • cchartzell
    Options
    I have trouble with this, too. Here are some foods that I have found are higher in protein:

Dairy (milk or yogurt, especially greek yogurt- try Chobani, it has 23g of protein per serving)
    Fish (tuna, tilapia, pollock, sole are all cheap and you can throw them on top of a salad for lunch)
    Nuts
    Quinoa
    Turkey Bacon (certain brands have up to 5g of protein per slice and only 40 cals)

Also, you can always buy protein powder and mix it into your juice, coffee, milk, or snacks (I like to mix a scoop of protein powder into my bowl of oatmeal in the morning).

Hope that helps!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Lots of fish, fresh and canned, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, seeds and nuts or nut butters, tofu, beans, lentils, eggs...so many sources out there. Or just get protein powder or bars, but I choose to get mine from food as I cannot be paying out for expensive powders and bars.
  • agriffitts85
    agriffitts85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    what i do for protein is i drink a protein shake every morning. you could try body fortress chocolate whey protein powder, i mix it with 16-20 oz of skim milk and doing that will not only give you enough protein it will also keep you feeling full for a while. i know it does me.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat meat.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I generally get an okay amount of protein, but my focus has changed lately, rather than losing too much more weight (fat) I am trying to get stronger & tone up, therefore I need more protein (as per my two personal trainers) and as well as eating my usual eggs, baked beans, almonds, lean cuts of meat, etc. I have also got a protein shake that makes up the rest. I am trying to have between 70-100grams of protein per day (80-90 is optium for me).
    Good luck xx
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, eggs, cottage cheese, protein shakes

and homemade protein balls/bars/doughnuts/muffins/ice cream lol
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Ask your SO for some assistance? :blushing:

Otherwise, lean meats, dairy, and an occasional shake are great sources.

I'm allergic to milk so most of mine comes from lean meats and some soy, though not a lot.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    In a given day, things I eat that contain protein are: eggs, cheese, turkey bacon, whey, peanut butter, some sort of meats (usually, poultry, pork, or fish), cottage cheese, milk.

I've got no problem hitting 130-200g every day, especially with whey in the picture. I'm at 123g today and I haven't even had dinner or evening snacks yet :bigsmile:
  • micmac327
    micmac327 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have a cup of eggwhites for breakfast every morning. 28g of protein. I cant start the day without that punch of protein.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    lol. read this thread, and turned into a 13 year old. can't stop giggling.
  • geetabean
    geetabean Posts: 76
    Options
    I was always going over my protein so I had to change my macros! HA. I have eggs, cheese, most veggies have at least a little protein, I eat a lot of fish and usually have some type of "meat" with dinner. Yogurt is a fav. snack of mine. Oatmeal has a little bit, turkey breast lunch meat, the high fiber tortillas I buy have a good amount, peanut butter & almonds. There are lots more, but I'm drawing a blank.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Meat is a really good source =P
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Fish and prawns.
  • prabsnation
    Options
    love your protein goals of between 70-100. too many women neglect that. makes me embarrassed to check my logs totals lately...

also ditto on the protein powder and salads with lean meats on it to get the most protein-wise out of your cals. if you're not worried about being on a calorie deficit everything else like dairy, beans, etc is great too.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    My regular food intake plus 3 shakes a day. That usually gets me to my 220g protein goal
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds... cottage cheese, greek yogurt...

Edamame are really good, 8g of protein in a 90 calorie pack. Peas are good too, 5g protein in a 2/3 cup serving.