What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options

Replies

• eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It makes me wish I was out there with you...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I see an overweight person running I think "Damn, look at them go. Good for them for doing it!"

Sincerely.

Yep!

And a little jealous because it took me sooooo long to get motivated enough to get out there and do it.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Power to them...i'm not one that runs in public (Wu Shin Splints aint nothin to F with)
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    I think its awesome! Cardio is the way to go when you wanna lose fat. That's how you start out - well walking is, but running is awesome. Ignore the haters. You're becoming a better you!! :flowerforyou:
  • onewithwings
    Options
    Good for you! Doing it now as opposed to late is much better for you! I'm 51 and I took up running at 49.
    I'm still not in perfect shape. I'm not fast but I "get 'er done". I run because it's a challenge (in reality I suck at it).

If you enjoy it and have fun at it, that's all that counts!
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm always jealous of anybody who can run. I'm in physical therapy right getting my knees and hips taken care of so I can work up to running. So, hey, if you can, I think you're amazing. Don't pay attention to anybody else. :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I love when I see other runners, doesn't matter what size, their pace, etc. Seeing an overweight runner I might think to myself "how great, they are concerned with their health and doing something about it". If I saw an over weight person in MacDonalds stuffing their face I would think to myself "they should really get out there for a run" lol
  • Leah_Vaughn
    Leah_Vaughn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am not obese but i am still curvy :) I get strange looks when i run too... i think they just cant handle our curves and swerves!!
    As i get smaller, i get faster and more comfortable- so just power through it and it will get better!
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i freaking love them. when i run past them i high five em!!!! (well, i high five everyone i run past) but you get the idea haha. not only are they getting in shape, but they have the courage to do so in front of everyone

that certainly deserves a high five!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • swayerm
    swayerm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you need to stop worrying about what other people think and just do what you love!!
    I'm a triathlete, and one of the most useless runners that I know (I'm from a swimming background) and trust me, when you give up caring what other people think you'll just have fun.

Keep running :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look.

I love that look. I love to cackle as I sprint by.
    I am not a fast distance runner. I go about as fast as most people walk, but I have a wicked little sprint kick. I love to sidle up beside those runners that make running look so effortless and have ourselves a little race. The look on their face when I kick into my sprint is priceless. "Hahaha, you didn't think fat lil' mama could go that fast, did you?"

Run because you love it. F* the rest of the world.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I smile at them and give them a thumbs up! I was 260 ish when I started on here and I have lost a lot of weight since then - partly because of running/jogging (what ever you want to call it). I'd say go for it - you are making yourself healthy...don't give them the time of day. Best of luck on your weight loss journey :happy:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think it's good that they are doing something for their health and weight.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I respect the hell out of all people especially overweight people who are working there butts off to better themselves.
  • mandynonsense
    mandynonsense Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    GIRL. do your thinggg. ignore those negative vibes!
    and pretty soon, it won't even be a concern of yours bc you're gonna be running off that weight!

never once has a thought like that ever crossed my mind at the gym, i'm too focused doin' my own thing. the only people that bother me, are the ones that go to the gym to socialize or are constantly on their cellphones. boo them. they get in my way.

but you- you keep it up! :)
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Conceptually I have absolutely no problem with people who are overweight. I have a lot of admiration for the people who does it. BTW I have a friend who at 250lbs+ ran a marathon last year.

Having said that - I also want to interject a caveat and that is related to 'mechanics'. Putting that impact on the surfaces of your knees may not be the best for your knees in the long run. You will have an incredible impact on your knees. In the beginning you may not feel it, but over time you are likely to do some major damage not only to your knees, but also to your hips and ligaments AND much more prone to injuries. And you are the one who will suffer.

I think the conventional wisdom from the orthopedic literature is that you should not be running unless you are below 220-250 lbs. Not because they don't believe overweight runners should not run, but they are concerned about the damage it can do to your joints.

An alternative to running would be the elliptical trainer - not at damaging to the joints. Yes, I know - not the same as running.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Actually they are a motivation for me, because different from other people who are obese, they ignore their low self esteem and hindereds of curious eyes to run that treadmill trying to make a change. If I ever looked down on a person like that, I'd literally kick myself until it hurts. People who work their a** off to make a change on themselves should be encouraged.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If I see anyone run, overweight or not, I think, "I wish I was doing that!" When I see an overweight person run (& I've seen some heavy people at the gym have a good clip on the cardio machines) I am impressed with their motivation. It takes me awhile to get into the cardio groove.

Good for you! Keep on running!

^^^this^^^
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    Power to them...i'm not one that runs in public (Wu Shin Splints aint nothin to F with)

This made me LOL. I am an overweight (technically OBESE... le sigh) runner but it takes a while to build up that endurance. When I see another overweight or obese runner, I get excited and can't wait to run later in the day or the next day :D
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I encourage it! We all have to start somewhere. I am still an "overweight" runner, even though I look a lot more like a runner than I used to. I'm not skinny by any means!

Running is awesome! I am all for adding anyone and everyone to a wondeful sport and a fantastic means of exercise!

I will caution you... if you're just starting out use a program like the Couch to 5K (C25K) to get yourself built up to 3 miles. It will go a long way in preventing any injuries along the way. You don't want to do too much too soon. Increase your distance and your speed both very SLOWLY!

Best of luck! Welcome to the endorphin rush! :D