Stronglifts

Options
I thought it would be a lot of fun to switch to stronglifts and do the same lifts with each other.
Unfortunately, our gym doesn't have free weight squats. We just have Smith machines.

Has anyone used Smith machines, out of necessity, for SL 5x5? Have you adjusted the weight up to account for counterweights? Have you lowered the weight so you could replicate a more natural lifting motion?

I can lift the weight up for her... but I have used light weights and high reps for a while now. I want to go heavy!!!!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hmm, did you sign up for his newsletter? He addressed this recently.
    I didn't read/deleted it as it didn't apply to me.
    I'm pretty sure he said smith is a no/no as it is very limiting range of motion and such.

http://stronglifts.com/squat-no-power-rack-steinborn-lift/
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    have you tried searching for another gym in your area? a gym without a squat rack shouldn't be called a gym. I've never done strong lifts but I know squatting with free weights is much harder than with the machines. So i would try to add more weight.
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Time for another gym.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just now took a look at stronglifts, thanks for the link. I was aware of the limitations of Smith machines... that Steinborn looks like FUN!

Warmachine... hoping the Y will have free enrollment soon!!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    have you tried searching for another gym in your area? a gym without a squat rack shouldn't be called a gym. I've never done strong lifts but I know squatting with free weights is much harder than with the machines. So i would try to add more weight.

:heart: