Is it possible to drink too much water

Options
Hi,

I drink over a gallon of water a day and my friends keep telling me that it is too much. Is it really possible to retain the daily water that I drink?

Replies

• gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you're craving that much water then I would go to the doc and be checked out for diabetes. It's one of the hallmarks of diabetes and insulin resistance. I have IR and it was one of the things that my doctor noticed.

Probably nothing, but better safe than sorry!
  • karlira
    karlira Posts: 100
    Options
    Oh yes, it is possible to drink too much water!. In fact drinking TOO MUCH can kill you. I dont know exactly where the limit is, but I read that for a woman 3 liters is enough. Also make sure to drink it little by little, cause the danger relies in drinking it too fast.

:drinker:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, well your not gonna retain all that water. But to answer your question......yes you can drink too much water. Drinking too much water causes organ issues...caused by drinking so much your flushing so much....(natural salts...etc). Drinking alot of water while dieting IS important, drinking the water throughout the day is magnificant.....flushing the toxins from your body, lubing those crickety joints, softer skin, healthier hair, better breath....you name it. Water is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think a gallon of water a day is a bit much......but if you feel ok then no worries....you won't carry that water around with you (retain) unless you have a dinosaur bladder.......you will however tinkle often.....

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but as long as you are drinking it all through the day and not all at once it is fine. I drink at least a gallon a day myself. :drinker:
  • ldr624
    ldr624 Posts: 36
    Options
    I was checked for diabetes last month and get checked regularly. Thankfully, I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic. I drink a lot of water because I was told that when you are dieting, exercising and just living a healthier lifesytle you should drink plenty of water. If this isn't true and it could actually be hurting me then I will scale back.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Don't stop drinking water...................it is EXCELLANT for you.....but remember...this is not a diet you are doing, it is a life change. Drinking water is a huge part of it. They say here 8 glasses of water a day...that is 8....8 ounce glasses. I often have 12-14/8ounce glasses.....

:flowerforyou:
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    yes, you can drink too much water. I actually know someone who was hospitalized because they were drinking too much water. she was lucky they figured out that's what it was before she killed herself. I suggest trading some of that water for a couple of G2's a day, to help keep salt/electrolytes in balance:smile:
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is possible to drink too much water. Too much water dilutes the sodium levels in the blood. But a gallon in not going to do it. I drink close to 3 gallons every day. Keep drinking your water. Your body needs it. When you have had enough, your body will let you know.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    It's a form of torture that can kill, but you'd have to stick a hose in your mouth for that one :laugh:. And your body will start to shut down if you're drinking enough to cause damage.

Some recommend up to an ounce per pound of body weight so I think you're good.
  • sroach147
    sroach147 Posts: 4
    Options
    My doctor told me you can drink too much water because it can wash away your electrolytes. But, she said for every 10 lbs your overweight you should drink another 8oz glass.
  • MallyMally87
    MallyMally87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you drink more then your body weight in water then yes, you are drinking too much water.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hello--

My nickname is SpongeMarla--

I gained 8 pounds in one week from retaining water--

For me, I can't handle it-- but, I obviously have some medical issues--

But, to answer personally-- yes, one can drink too much water--
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I eat so much sodium daily (*slaps wrist, bad girl!) that I'd have to drink an Olympic sized swimming pool of water in order to have water poisoning!!

I drink 32oz when I work out, and lately I've been working out twice daily. (That is my 8 cups there.)
    Beyond that, I probably drink another 32oz while at home.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Here is a link about water intoxication:
    http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

Basically it says a health adult can process 15 liters (almost 4 gallons) a day as long as it is over a whole day and not all at once so drink away!:drinker: