how do you potty train a boy?

Options

Replies

• angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Boys are tough to potty train. I used fruit loops for him to aim, a potty chart with stickers & rewards, & lots of matchbox cars for rewards when he would stay dry all day. Don't forget a little stool too. (no pun intended, LOL) Good luck!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get the aiming thing down when they are little. When they are 19 and missing the bowl it's not quite so cute.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Our son was potty trained over a three day weekend. Prior to that I kept trying to get him to sit on the potty but he kept saying he was scared he would flush away so I didn't force him. On Saturday morning I told him, no more diapers and put "big boy" pants on him and told him that he needed to tell me when he had to go potty. Of course, he had accidents..about four before he got the idea but by the end of the night he was going on the potty. We continued the same way for the next two days, we didn't go out just stayed home working with him. He also got a "treat" if he went in the potty for the next couple of weeks to reinforce his behavior. He was fully potty trained in those three days, even when potty at daycare the next day. He was three years and four months.
    Hope that helps!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    get a small step stool for him to stand on and teach him to lean forward and grab the back of the toilet...it helps get him aimed in the right direction...when he is tall enough to do so....most 2 year olds are pretty small but not everyone potty trains at the same age so, I'm just guessing here....but I used this method on a little boy that I watched in my home when he was 2 but he was a taller kid.

But yes to the cheerios and other targets. Also, mini m&m's work great as a reward for potty training. I only have girls but I worked in a pre-school for 7 years and potty trained a ton of kids.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i think im mean...first i started letting him play outside nice warm days with a diaper...then on colder told him sit n pee. if he peed or pooped n his underwear i will put him in the shower and clean him...no nice mommy. it worked. he popped n underwear once and he got a shower hip down. he never peed in his underwear either after that. some boys are stubborn. i tried being its okay mommy do it the nice way mommy n well he defied me to no end. so i found something that works...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the advice. i think part of my problem was i thought i was supposed to throw cheerios in the toilet and expect him to pee on them without sitting first. ill work on that first.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I had 2 girls and 2 boys. The girls trained effortlessly before they were 18 months old. So when the eldest boy was well into his 2nd year and still not trained, I enlisted the husband's help. He took him to the potty 3 times, and was trained. I guess it was a gender behavior thing...he couldn't relate to me. Try giving him a gender role model?

Although, it did generate a good story, that my now 22 yr old son hates to hear.

Little ones are full of questions, especially in a bathroom, when they are beginning to notice differences. My son had questioned my lack of dangling private parts at one point, and I matter-of-factly told him "Mommy is a girl, so mommy has a little pee-pee." Okay, curiosity satisfied.

Then, while having dinner with hubby's large extended family at his mom's house, hubs was called upon to take our son to the bathroom. I still don't know exactly what happened, except that I assume they took turns peeing, and my son made another observation about the anatomy of the different genders.

They come back to the crowded kitchen, and my son tugs on my sleeve. He reiterates his knowledge from our previous bathroom visits:"Mommy's got a little pee-pee?" I said "Yes, son." His eyes open wide, and he says quite loudly "Daddy's got a BIG pee-pee!!"

The roar of laughter was heard for miles.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it goes. My son turns 2 this month and he is in size 6's with absolutely no interest in trying to go potty. His trucks and such are welcome in the toilet, though lol.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    haha classic story!
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ok. So I know this sounds weird. But I have two boys that I have potty trained and the easiest/most effective thing I did was let them run around naked outside and let them pee on our tree. Bigger target, less mess. Also, I waited until they were ready.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    should i get a small kids potty or is it better to just get a kids seat that i can place on top of the big potty?
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    should i get a small kids potty or is it better to just get a kids seat that i can place on top of the big potty?
    I would get a small one. Otherwise you have to put it on every time and have a step stool. The goal is to make it easy and convenient for him to want to go potty.
  • dcgonz
    dcgonz Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had both...we started with the kids potty but they use the seat at daycare so he had to learn that one. He only used the small potty once.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

I think it depends on the munchkin...neither of my kids liked the little potties...they just wanted to go on the big one; so we got a little seat. We also found that made it a little easier when it came time to go on a public toilet, especially when they were first training.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My son refused to sit on the small toilet. He sat on the big one with his legs over the seat, facing toward the back of the toilet. It took 2-3 days and he was about 2 1/2 years old. I also used yogurt covered raisins, cookies, anything to get him to go! It worked. I also trained another kid at work in one try. when they are ready it is quick. Oh, yes, the food goes in the mouth, not the toilet. Good luck!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My son didn't get it at all when he was two so I just let it go for a while. Then he started preschool (3 years old) and other boys were using the potty and suddenly he just started going...stood up like a champ and never went back. Not one accident. Boys seem trickier than girls. But I agree with most that the more you do it in front of him the quicker he will learn! Eventually it will just click.

Best of luck!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    As far as a bowel movement & boys, it can take longer. My son was so stubborn, I would watch him like a hawk and as soon as I turned my back, he would hide & poop. This went on for months, nothing worked, but he would pee just fine. Finally it was getting nice out and I decided to take going outside away. I let his brother & sister go out to play, and said Caleb, if you want to go out, you have to poop in the toilet. It took him 1 week to decide that he would poop in the toilet and after that he did it on his own without a problem. If you have a son that is this way, I would find something they enjoy and take it away as an incentive/reward for going # 2 in the toilet.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    This isn't going to be helpful at all, but my cousin's 3 year old boy isn't potty trained yet knows how to unlock an iPad and use any app he wants to. I think it's hilarious.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    i have no clue, only dealt with girls till now. how do you potty train a boy? I just tossed some cheerios in the toilet trying to explain to him your supposed to aim at the cheerios but i think he thought it was more funny than anything else. lol.

Same as with a girl. When they learn to GO relative to the Urge, THEN start going with him and YOU show him how Boys pee. Let him see you a couple of times. Natural instincts will soon take over.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My ex would take our son in the bathroom and show him to pee in the potty...once he got comfortable with the idea of the potty, we put him in regular underwear all day. He had 1 or 2 accidents and he decided that he'd rather pee in the potty. We'd put him in pull-ups at night, just in case; but after about a week, he didn't even need those.

ETA: it took MONTHS to get him to the point where he was comfortable with the potty...we were beginning to think we'd need to buy him Depends, LOL :bigsmile:

Our daughter was so much easier...once we figured out that she liked the fake tattoos...it took about 1 week to get her totally potty trained.

my daughter was so easy my son now is terrified sounds like your situation lol