Tattoo Question

Options
2»

Replies

• TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    We have asked our sons to wait until at least 20. Just because it is permanent, and what you think is cool at 16, you might not at 18 or 20.

My oldest is 17, so if he chooses to get one at 20, at least he will have a few years to think of it. Yes, I know he can do it at 18, but he understands what we are saying, so he said he won't do it until then, if not later.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Granted I won't be having children for a long time, but if they're 18, it's up to them. I would personally discourage it though, because what you want on your body when you're 18 might be drastically different than what you want only a few years later--I know I certainly avoided this scenario by waiting!

Piercings are a different story. I would give my child permission at 16, probably. Piercings can be taken out at any time.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I got my first one when I was 19 and honestly, I wish I hadn't done it. I don't regret it, because of the whole memory associated with it, but I'm indifferent to that spot on my body. I'm thankful I got it on my hip, so know one will see it unless I want them to. I keep saying I want another one, but I'll be excited about it for a few days, and then I forget about it. Later I will think about it, and not feel the same way I did at first. I am mulling over a memorial tat for my dad, but still haven't found a design I think fits. So, my wishy-washy thoughts besides, I always said if I had kids and they wanted a tat and was 15 or older, I would make them pick a design, then we would put it up for 6 months and if they still felt as strongly about it own their, without any prompting or reminding, I would let them do it. :)
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I used to bug my mom about getting a tattoo non-stop. I'm so glad she did not let me get what I wanted at 16. She didn't sign for me until I was 20 (you used to have to be 21 in Illinois). My sisters both got tattoos younger, but it's a good thing she made me wait. I have several now, the oldest being 15 years and I love them all, but I was old enough to make wiser choices by then.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I got lots of piercings between 16-18 that my mother signed off on, but those I mostly all removed.

My first tattoo was at 18 (the day after my birthday in fact) and I knew that I would be stuck with it FOREVER and chose wisely. All four of mine have special meaning to me and all are tastefully done. I get compliments on my inner forearm one all the time, and I work in a professional environment.

On the flip side, my uncle died when two of my cousins were underage, and my aunt signed off on them to get memorial tattoos with their two older siblings.

I guess it depends on what it is, and the maturity level of the kid.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A lot of the local artists won't tattoo anyone under 18, even with their parents' consent.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    I got my first when I was 16 and I don't regret it so I would say that's a good age. WARNING: They are addictive and I've got quite a few now. :) I'm 20.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you want the outcome to be... perhaps show them a photo of you at the age they are at now... a photo of you where you were a the top of your game, in-style, looking great. Now 10-20-30- years later... is that in style now? If I HAD to always wear my hair, make-up, clothes etc. like that every day for the rest of my life, would that bother me?
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters got her tattoo two weeks before her 18th birthday (no parental signing allowed here) but I approved and she gets to claim that her first tatto was 'illegal'. It was very small and personally significant. I have several tattoos, but most people who meet me wouldn't know it unless I offered up the information. I have always insisted that any tattoos not be visible when dressed professionally and my children agree with and understand my concerns regarding this. My middle daughter is 18 now and I will be taking her for her first tattoo soon. (It will match her sister's but in a different color). My youngest daughter (16), is also planning her first personal tattoo and will also be getting the matching tattoo to show her sisterly solidarity with the others.

I got my first tattoo when I was 21. Although it was based off a religious belief system that I currently do not claim affiliation with, I do not regret it because it was significant to me at the time and is a chronicle of my personal history. I do not feel like all tattoos HAVE to have a 'meaning' behind them, but I do feel that whatever you place on your body permanently, you must be willing to live with for the rest of your life. Therfore, all of mine do have specific significance.

I also have very specific guidlines for piercings. Basically any single point piercing was/is fine, but anything that requires two holes and a bar of some sort, I asked that they not get until their bodies were/are fully developed to prevent complications such as migrating. I have a belly piercing, but did not get it until I was in my 30's. And facial piercings are subjective. A Marilyn, or a small nose stud is OK, but any hoops, (vampire bites, lower lip dolphin bites, spider bites, etc. I would ask that they think twice for professional issues.) I also think a tragus or single hole cartilage piercing in the ear is OK since hair can hide it in a professional setting.
    There's my $.02 :)
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I dont think waiting until 18 will kill anyone...agreed every young adult is different and different maturity levels etc
    I think of what I wanted ot get when I was 16/17 and makes me shutter and glad I wasnt able to get them done
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Here it's 18 with no parental consent. So I got my first one at 18 as my parents would not let me get one earlier. My mom didn't get her's till she was 35 and said that was the age at which she'd give me consent, so I said screw it and did it when I could.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I'm really glad I couldn't get one before I was 18. I've grown into my style, and I'm really happy with the pieces I have, but I sure would've made some decisions that I'd presently be unhappy with had I had the ability to get one earlier. That being said, everyone is different.