subway???

Options
i've never really been sure but is subway considered healthy????

Replies

• Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    Depends what you order. And always be aware of the sodium. TON of it in their bread and meats.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Calorie-wise it's great, but one sandwich can easily get you almost your entire sodium intake for a day. WAY too high in sodium!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    But if it's Subway vs a double cheeseburger with fries...go to Subway!
  • Zara150
    Zara150 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you take whole wheat bread, chicken or turkey and NO MAYO, it is healthy! it's just I get hungry so fast after I eat it and the calories are not that low, I prefer home cooking.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No single food or restaurant is particularly healthy or unhealthy. It's your overall nutrition that matters.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Subway is a better option than the other fast food joints, however, if you want to avoid the sodium get a veggie delite salad, no meats no bread or pickles. Subway is where I go when I am out an about and cant get home to make my meal.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Egg white, ham, cheese on English muffin with tomatoes, onion, peppers, spinach, and jalapeno. 170 calories.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    It's up to you and what you eat. Their tuna is loaded in fat and calories (but also flavor).
  • snewsome7
    snewsome7 Posts: 189
    Options
    You can create what you order on their website and it will tell you what is in it health wise. No cheese and dressing would obviously be lower in calories.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    Egg white, ham, cheese on English muffin with tomatoes, onion, peppers, spinach, and jalapeno. 170 calories.

Also 1200 mg of sodium before adding a single veggie. Just FYI.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why there's so much sodium alarmism on these boards. Unless you've specifically seen that you're sensitive to sodium then you need not worry. But you will have to check this out yourself. I have realized I am not, so I consume a lot of sodium without water retention, bloating, or negative blood pressure results.

Also, don't skip things like mayo (just get light to save calories) or white bread if that's what you prefer. I personally like going with steak and cheese, meatball marinara, or oven-roasted chicken on italian with pretty much everything on it. I also always get chipotle southwest sauce (which I think is the highest in fat and all that other stuff).

Subway is fine. If you prefer McDonalds, go ahead and get that instead.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ditto Mizzou91. It really does depend on what you order on your sub. Subway in Australia has their kilojoules and calories next to each sub on their menu... but WATCH OUT! The kilojoules/calories do NOT include condiments (sauces) or cheese! They also do not include any extra salad/veg, such as avocado, etc. It's also based on if you have white or wheat bread... so there are many factors involved!

I like getting subway every now and then... I usually go for:
    Multigrain OR Wheat bread sub
    Ham OR Roasted Chicken Strips
    Lettuce
    Carrot
    Red Onion
    Olives
    1/2 Scoop of Avocado [not all the time, only sometimes]
    and I choose a low fat condiment (sauce) such as barbecue sauce (and I always ask for one squirt along the sub, not to go back and then forth with the sauce). I never get any added salt or pepper.
    This usually ends up being approximately 350 calories (this includes sauce & avocado --- no cheese!)

Have a look at this Subway Nutritional Information website: http://www.subway.com.au/assets/documents/auswebnutrition100g_11302011.pdf
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    What I ate when I was gaining all my weight: (12", no matter what meal) Turkey/Ham on Honey Oat with mayo AND southwest sauce, veggies and cheese or Chicken Teriyaki on Honey Oat with sweet onion sauce AND mayo, plus veggies and cheese

What I eat now, and still lose consistently: (if lunch 6", if dinner 12") Turkey on Wheat with veggies, cheese, and oil/vinegar

It all depends on what you get and what you put on it, of course that makes it 'healthy' or not
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why there's so much sodium alarmism on these boards. Unless you've specifically seen that you're sensitive to sodium then you need not worry. But you will have to check this out yourself. I have realized I am not, so I consume a lot of sodium without water retention, bloating, or negative blood pressure results.

Also, don't skip things like mayo (just get light to save calories) or white bread if that's what you prefer. I personally like going with steak and cheese, meatball marinara, or oven-roasted chicken on italian with pretty much everything on it. I also always get chipotle southwest sauce (which I think is the highest in fat and all that other stuff).

Ohhh, I have to disagree... this is a site for Calorie Counting... so I think it does matter what you order... I do agree that every now and then you can get what you want, and that you should make choices that work for your body i.e. Sodium also doesn't seem to be a huge factor with the way it affects my results or health, so I don't particularly worry about it, but I'd like to know what the better choices are in terms of counting calories as this is what it is all about... calories in, calories out.

The subs that you have chosen are all higher in calories than the low-fat subs and with cheese and high fat condiments included, your sub could easily be 100-200 calories more than a sub with no cheese, no condiments or low fat condiments, etc. but as soon as you say having McDonald's is fine too, awww I have to disagree.. McDonalds is loaded with calories and the quality of food is not very good... meaning that you'll be hungry again shortly after. 1 burger from mcdonald's is not filling for me personally. But a 6 inch sub from subway on multigrain bread and full of salad and veg is much more filling.

In saying that, it's okay to let your hair down and live! Enjoy McDonald's every now and then, have the higher calorie sub every now and then too! We only live once, but for the sake of eating healthier and counting each and every calorie, try and make healthy choices most the time!

Mmm now I feel like Subway & McDonald's! :laugh:
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    not so much in my mind....

lots of sodium, slipperly processed meats and cheeses, etc...
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you have a doctor who has told you to watch your sodium, it's not the best. But sodium intake is really overrated, not really anything most people have to worry about. And you certainly can get some high calorie foods at subway, but it is much easier to find low calorie, high protein foods and there's alot of veggies you can eat too.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I stopped worrying about sodium (that was the best thing I ever did on this site) and I eat Subway everyday. How healthy it is, I'm not too sure but I stopped eating the Italian Herbs and Cheese bread and switched to Wheat or White (depending on what I remember to say). I still get my Chicken, Bacon & Ranch sub because I can't live with the three or else someone will die. I only add lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles with ranch of course. A 6in will fill me up for a good portion of the evening. I usually get a foot long and eat half for lunch and the other half for dinner.

Again, I don't care about my sodium intake anymore but I think it was close to 1000mg.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Ohhh, I have to disagree... this is a site for Calorie Counting... so I think it does matter what you order... I do agree that every now and then you can get what you want, and that you should make choices that work for your body i.e. Sodium also doesn't seem to be a huge factor with the way it affects my results or health, so I don't particularly worry about it, but I'd like to know what the better choices are in terms of counting calories as this is what it is all about... calories in, calories out.

The subs that you have chosen are all higher in calories than the low-fat subs and with cheese and high fat condiments included, your sub could easily be 100-200 calories more than a sub with no cheese, no condiments or low fat condiments, etc. but as soon as you say having McDonald's is fine too, awww I have to disagree.. McDonalds is loaded with calories and the quality of food is not very good... meaning that you'll be hungry again shortly after. 1 burger from mcdonald's is not filling for me personally. But a 6 inch sub from subway on multigrain bread and full of salad and veg is much more filling.

In saying that, it's okay to let your hair down and live! Enjoy McDonald's every now and then, have the higher calorie sub every now and then too! We only live once, but for the sake of eating healthier and counting each and every calorie, try and make healthy choices most the time!

Mmm now I feel like Subway & McDonald's! :laugh:

You can't say McDonalds has more calories just because it doesn't have bell peppers on it. If I have 600 calories allotted lunch, I can get Subway Turkey Sandwich on Italian Bread With Mustard, Provolone Cheese, Pickles, Lettuce, Cucumber, Green Peppers, and banana peppers for about 565 calories OR a McDonalds cheeseburger and small fries for 530 calories. Either one will satiate me for the afternoon, and I'd rather have the cheeseburger nine times out of ten. Speaking solely to the calorie count, they're basically the same thing.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Chicken bacon ranch footlong = worse than a Big Mac. So you have to be careful. Their nutrition info is on their website - I highly recommend planning what you want before you go. :-)
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I wasn't suggesting that calories don't matter. I usually don't leave vital information like that out, so my apologies for that. Calories definitely matter and, for me, macronutrients are almost as important.
    The subs that you have chosen are all higher in calories than the low-fat subs and with cheese and high fat condiments included, your sub could easily be 100-200 calories more than a sub with no cheese, no condiments or low fat condiments, etc.

I tend to eat 1000-1200 calorie meals, so sometimes I forget that other people eat smaller meals. :p My subway subs are usually 1000.
    but as soon as you say having McDonald's is fine too, awww I have to disagree.. McDonalds is loaded with calories and the quality of food is not very good... meaning that you'll be hungry again shortly after. 1 burger from mcdonald's is not filling for me personally. But a 6 inch sub from subway on multigrain bread and full of salad and veg is much more filling.

Maybe not as filling, sure, but if the person is craving it then why not? I don't find it filling either and I personally think it's complete and utter garbage but there are people who want to enjoy it. I was simply pointing out that this is option (or any option with nutrition info) is available to them, so the don't have to go to Subway just because it's "healthier." In the end, if you're trying to lose fat, you'll be hungry either way. I'm always hungry, so I just end up eating whatever fits my calories and macronutrients when I go out. I just end up saving my calories so I can have more of it at once, a strategy that has worked for me quite well but I know not everyone fairs that well with two-three big meals.
    You can't say McDonalds has more calories just because it doesn't have bell peppers on it. If I have 600 calories allotted lunch, I can get Subway Turkey Sandwich on Italian Bread With Mustard, Provolone Cheese, Pickles, Lettuce, Cucumber, Green Peppers, and banana peppers for about 565 calories OR a McDonalds cheeseburger and small fries for 530 calories. Either one will satiate me for the afternoon, and I'd rather have the cheeseburger nine times out of ten. Speaking solely to the calorie count, they're basically the same thing.

For me, I'd have to know the macronutrients and see how it fits from there as well. Macronutrients play a very important role for body composition, so it has equal importance as calories for me.