Anyone out there work overnight/midnight shifts?

Options
I work 10:30pm-7am, full-time. Anyone else do these shifts or similar who wants to trade survival tactics/secrets? When does your new day start?

Replies

• kidaj
    kidaj Posts: 1
    Options
    I work 6pm-6am and its hard to get a workout schedual down for my work week
  • helpmelooseit
    helpmelooseit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes 7p-7a its hard to eat right and exercise i'm tired all the time!!!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I work 6:45 PM to 07:15 am. It is about a 40 minute drive each way. I set my food schedule to go from 5 am to 5 am in 4 hour increments. It works best for me that way. I manage to get at least 4 days of walking or hiking 4 - 8 miles in each week. I do find it hard to get motivated to do anything more. I find I can stay on track easier on my work days than on my days off.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I dont work overnight, but im a night owl, and I hate it.. no matter what I try I cant sleep early!
  • AimeeLynn90
    Options
    I dont work overnight, but im a night owl, and I hate it.. no matter what I try I cant sleep early!

Saaaaame here! I hate being a night owl sometimes. But I used to work overnight shifts. It was very hard on me!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I work 7p-7a, 3-4 nights a week as a nurse for the last 4 years so I'm use to it. Best time to workout? Right after work. I have my workouts planned for 2 weeks in advance on if I'm going to the gym or going home to run as it holds me accountable. It's hard at times but not impossible. When I work my eating day goes up to midnight then I start the next day. Here is a breakdown of how my last 2 nights went:

Sunday-

Breakfast is later, around 10 am, as I try to sleep in to help me throughout the day and night.
    Snack 1-2 pm
    Lunch 5:30 pm
    Work starts 7 pm
    Snack 8:30 pm
    Dinner between 10-11 pm
    That ends my Sunday eating.

I hold off on breakfast till around 4 am at work bc it gets me through my workout around 7:30-8 am. I have a snack on my way home and then sleep and start over. If I'm not working the following night; I do a normal day schedule.

I don't know if this would help anyone but it's worked for me. I can somehow manage to eat right, workout 6 days a week and do school full time. It takes a lot of planning and tweaking to what your body reacts to.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm an overnighter.

There is a topic group for it too. called night crawlers.
  • NicolettetheGreek
    NicolettetheGreek Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Saaaaame here! I hate being a night owl sometimes. But I used to work overnight shifts. It was very hard on me!

Yep..me too! Retired almost 3 years ago from night's, but look who's up! Even if I force myself to go to bed early, I wake up around 12:30-0100..

I agree, it DOES NOT do the body good!:noway:
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Me too I only work 2 nights a week but I also have 4 kids to get to school. I find it hard that some days I sleep to mid day some days I don't... some days I go to bed early somedays I'm up al night - it has to effect your body somehow?
  • KristyB32
    KristyB32 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I do..and I too, find it difficult to stay motivated. I'm always exhausted. I get my workouts in a few hours before I go to work. I tried after work in the beginning, but found out quickly that wouldn't work. I would be wide awake after working out and couldn't even get a nap in before leaving again. On my days off, I have a really hard time eating much of anything. I'm not sure if this is from complete exhaustion or what, but I don't have much of an appetite at all. I also have to really push myself to get in some exercise, on nights I work it's not too much of a problem. :smile:
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I work 9pm to 8am. I do my food logging midnight to midnight. For example, instead of breakfast it says 12am to 7am, then It's 8am to 2pm and then 3pm to 9pm. That's because I eat at different times and on my days off it goes more to a normal schedule. This works well for me. If I eat in between any of these times, it's called a snack! It's all good as long as I stay in my calories for the 24hour period. Plus, if I go over and I am still hungry when I go to work, midnight starts a new day!