Weight loss supplements?

Options
Is there such a thing? Is there anything on the market that has low/no side effects, that has been clinically shown to improve weight loss?

From what I've read, there aren't really any effective weight-loss supplements (i.e. not intended for nutrient replacement: specifically designed/marketed for boosting metabolism/fat loss: e.g. Yohimbe, bitter orange, pyruvate, yerba mate, chromium picolinate etc.)

All the ones I've read about so far seem to have no discernible effects on weight loss, and anything that works is REALLY bad for you (ephedra).

Other than omega 3's and calcium, do you have any ideas?

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    the cheap thing is cayenne pepper powder 1-3 tsp a day. It increases metabolism/blood circulation a bit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think you're on the right track - just about everything you see advertised also suggests (in the fine print) that you combine it with diet and exercise.
    Personally I think that focussing on the diet and exercise is what is going to have you at a healthy weight for the long term. Any supplements are just going to get you motivated initially (not that I'm knocking that) but it isn't going to be a long term solution. The long term solution has to mean a change in habits - for good, not just for a few months while you are on a "diet".
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    All drugs have side effects. There are weight loss supplements. What makes you think ephedra is bad for you?
    Anything can be "bad for you" if you go overboard. To give an extreme example, If you have a headache, you may take 1 aspirin and it does more good than harm by clearing your headache. However, if you decide to take 50 aspirins instead and overdose and die, then aspirin is also "bad for you".
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Bottom-line no supplement will trump a solid diet plan. I've always been very skeptical of weight loss supplements but I have found one that actually supports a healthy diet and exercise plan. The supplement is called MD's Glucose Disposal agent and it's sold on-line by True Nutrition. I've only been using it for a week now and I see definite improvement in just a short-time; I'm really really surprised. Again, I'm typically extraordinarily skeptical of this stuff but this has me sold. It's stimulant free too.

Other than that I like 5HTP. THis supplement helps you to sleep and if you can get a good night's sleep, you'll feel more psychologically ready to eat right and train.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Throughout the process of losing over 100 lbs, I've tried a few different things. I tried some fish oil and cla. They didn't do anything. Those are for people who absolutely cannot get those nutrients through their regular diet as a crappy alternative. That's what any 'susupplement' is. If you can't get it through your diet, you can supplement. If you want a diet pill with caffeine, you can save yourself a whole lot of money and buy a can of coffee at Wal Mart.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    Bottom-line no supplement will trump a solid diet plan.

Yes but the two do not have to be mutually exclusive.
    If you want a diet pill with caffeine, you can save yourself a whole lot of money and buy a can of coffee at Wal Mart.
    Caffeine pills are pretty cheap.
  • jg627
    Options
    If you want a diet pill with caffeine, you can save yourself a whole lot of money and buy a can of coffee at Wal Mart.
    [/quote]

Some coffee is pretty expensive, but it does taste better.
  • JNick77
    Options

If what you're saying is that a good supplement in conjunction with a solid diet plan works, then yes. However a good supplement with a ****ty diet plan will not work, whereas a good diet plan with no supplementation will work.

Caffeine pills are definitely dirt cheap, cheaper then coffee in some cases, and are easier to take early morning before gym-time instead of waiting for the pot to brew and then cool off to be drinkable.
  • jg627
    Options

If what you're saying is that a good supplement in conjunction with a solid diet plan works, then yes. However a good supplement with a ****ty diet plan will not work, whereas a good diet plan with no supplementation will work.

Caffeine pills are definitely dirt cheap, cheaper then coffee in some cases, and are easier to take early morning before gym-time instead of waiting for the pot to brew and then cool off to be drinkable.

Get a Bun, man. They rock. It keeps water heated in a reservoir, so you just replace the water that's in the tank while it brews your coffee really fast.
  • JNick77
    Options

Get a Bun, man. They rock. It keeps water heated in a reservoir, so you just replace the water that's in the tank while it brews your coffee really fast.

My parents actually bought me a Keurig for xmas, I just have yet to get it going. LOL
  • slynn28
    slynn28 Posts: 93
    Options
    I take cts360 . .works great but also its not the pills that will help you with your goals.. you have to eat right and workout as well! it would be nice if fitness came in a bottle =)
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I take GNC burn 60! It's a thermogenic. You need to exercise and eat clean in order for it to work. It is just an aid to help you along your journey. It isn't a 'magic' pill so there is still hard work involved.
  • jg627
    Options
    I'm trying out creatine now just to see what all the fuss is about. I read my creatine 101 last night and worked out a plan for the next two months. Theoretically it should speed up your recovery time, which I haven't had a problem with, but also supposed to help you utilize the energy in your muscles a little better and give you an edge in the gym.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    It just retains water in your muscles so it will help you with your lifts. Your muscles are mostly water.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'm trying out creatine now just to see what all the fuss is about. I read my creatine 101 last night and worked out a plan for the next two months. Theoretically it should speed up your recovery time, which I haven't had a problem with, but also supposed to help you utilize the energy in your muscles a little better and give you an edge in the gym.

Get just a basic Creatine made from CreaPure and you'll be set. You don't need any of the crazy expensive formulations. It's like anything else. If your diet is dialed-in you'll notice the benefit from Creatine. There are actually a lot of benefits aside from just lifting too. I've noticed when I travel that I seem to help maintain strength gains while I'm out-of-town and not lifting if I take 5g's every morning.
  • CShepherd91
    Options
    I take Acai Berry supplements. I'm under no illusions that they'll help with weight loss. But they're full of anti-oxidants, which are always good to be full of.

The bottom line is: weight-management pills are okay if you're willing to put in some effort too. They can only AID you in your weight loss. They're not some miracle cure so people can sit around on their *kitten* all day, eating crap and lose 3-4lbs a week.

I figure as long as your expectations are realistic towards these pills, there's no harm in taking them.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Get just a basic Creatine made from CreaPure and you'll be set. You don't need any of the crazy expensive formulations. It's like anything else. If your diet is dialed-in you'll notice the benefit from Creatine. There are actually a lot of benefits aside from just lifting too. I've noticed when I travel that I seem to help maintain strength gains while I'm out-of-town and not lifting if I take 5g's every morning.

Thanks for your input everyone!

Looks like personal preference comes into play here as well, personally I don't think I'd tolerate the thermogenic/stimulants very well.

Creatine though, geez, can't believe I overlooked that. It's been used as a supplement forever, there's a ton of long-term data about it, and it's totally innocuous as long as you're a healthy person. That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks for the help!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Saw your response to creatine. You will 100% positively not lose weight using that, you will gain. It pours fluid to muscles for recovery. It certainly works I believe for strength gains which in turn may help you burn more calories but the effects are only as long as you progress in weight and use supplement. If you are not maxing weights, you may find that you get generally puffy and soft. This is just my experience with training others and their general outcomes.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    When I'm coming off night shift and switching to night sleep, the first day or two I'm groggy. I'll take Hydroxycut on that day or two so I can get my *kitten* in gear to go to the gym. So I'm not taking it for burn, but for a jump start.
  • bmcculley50
    Options
    I'm struggling with adrenal insufficiency so my family Dr. recommended a natural supplement called Adrene-Vive, I just started using it today. I'm hoping it helps my adrenal insufficiency which will then help the weight loss. I have never had soo much fat around my trunk area but I have been under continuous stress for 2.5 years and it has taken a toll on me. THe Adrene-Vive is a Ortho Molecular product. I will keep you posted, they said I should see a diffence within the week. I'm very happy my family dr is suggesting something natural and not just giving me a pill. I also take B12, Vit D, Fish Oil, Relora, Coleus Forskohlii Extract and 7-Keto the past 3.5 weeks and have lost a pound per week. Relora, Coleus Forskohili Extract and 7-Keto were supplements on Dr. Oz.
    I'm interested if anyone has had any success with SafSlim? It is sanflower oil. I'm adding that to my plan on Friday.
    Also, is there a website I can put all my supplements in to see if there are any contraindications? :smile: