How many meals do you eat?

Nlongenecker
Nlongenecker Posts: 765
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I know I have read several places that it is good to eat 5 or 6 small meals during the day and not 3 big ones so you don't get as hungry. Does anyone does this and how does it work for you? And can you give me examples of the "small meals" you eat during the day?

Replies

• farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    I try to eat 3 meals a day and then have 2/3 snacks a day. When I started doing it the last of my weight came off. I think it helps so that your body always has some fuel to run on. Plus you are really never really hungry so you are less likely to over eat.

Breakfast
    Oatmeal

Snack
    veggies and hummus or
    crackers and fruit

lunch
    tuna with crackers or light bread
    fruit
    veggie and hummus
    pita chips??

snack
    laughing cow cheese and crackers
    fruit

dinner
    ??? I eat what I am fixing for the rest of my family I try to keep the calories under 500, 400 is better.

snack
    strawberries and fat free cool whip
    dove chocolate ind. pieces.

Good luck!!
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    I have 3 meals and 1-2 snacks
    2/3 cup oatmeal
    protein powder
    3 walnut pieces
    milk
    coffee
    fruit

lunch
    3 oz turkey
    1/2 avacado
    apple

snack
    protein shake with milk
    3 walnuts

dinner
    4 1/2 oz salmon
    spinach salad with 2T any dressing
    1 cup asparagus
    1 cup strawberries
    1 cup milk

150768.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    I do 3 meals (300-400 calorie breakfast then 300 lunch and dinner) with morning, afternoon and evening snacks. My meals vary but my snacks are Fiber One bar, veggies and hummus, fruit (apples or pears usually), reduced fat crackers or celery with PB. I try to have a small snack at night so I don't wake up ravenous in the morning (piece of fruit, a few cheese cubes or low fat string cheese). I can't eat as soon as I get up.

I usually try to eat my bigger meals at breakfast and lunch and less at dinner (salad or pasta with grilled veggies)

I am vegetarian so I don't do meats.
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    My eating shedule looks like this- 7.30 am breakfast-- 11.30 am lunch- 3 pm an apple as a snack- 5.30 pm a Fiber one bar as a snack. 7 pm dinner-9.30 pm a light snack. Cindy :heart:
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Hi there! I typically eat 4 meals a day with some snacks thrown in (i.e., fiber one or curves bars, etc). Currently I'm doing the Slimfast plan, although I've altered it a tad to fit my schedule. I get up around 9:30 or 10 usually, very close to lunchtime (ahh, the luxuries of not being able to find a job!:blushing: ) so I start off my day with a shake, then for lunch I have something along the lines of a salad and 1/2 sandwich or a serving of soup. I used to do too much snacking in the afternoon, so I decided to throw in that 4th meal at around 3 p.m.-usually that second slimfast shake. For dinner, I make grilled/broiled chicken and vegetables or pasta (dinner is my downfall...usually go over on my calories then). I like to use allrecipes.com because you can search for recipes by low calorie, low cholesterol, diabetic, etc....it's pretty handy!

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    When working, I eat a big breakfast, a big lunch, snacks between breakfast and lunch (healthy ones, usually), snacks after (same) and a reasonable sized dinner - one meat dish and the rest cooked veggies.

I don't have real time to make and eat 6 small meals a day. But the snacks keep the fires burning.
  • GumbyAnne
    GumbyAnne Posts: 130 Member
    I have been doing the "lots of small meals" method for a month and a half and I only wish I had started doing it sooner! I have lost 18 pounds so far and it has been a lot less hard than I expected. If you eat really frequently it is so much easier to get through the day on fewer calories.

I am probably not a good one to give you meal examples since my life is crazy with 3 jobs and I don't get to plan those perfect balanced meals. Just make sure that if you get that "I'm about to be hungry" feeling, you eat something small quick before the hunger can grab you. On the days that I miss one of my small meals I end up going over my calorie targets because I overeat at the next meal and end up eating more overall.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I try and eat 5-6 times a day as well.

6am - Fresh Fruit and a glass of skim milk (this I consider a snack, its my pre-workout food to get me going)

9am - Usually 1egg and 1 egg white scrambled, a slice of whole wheat toast and a slice of lean ham or turkey sausage

12pm - Cottage cheese, cucumber/tomato slices and a tuna sandwich or chicken/turkey on an Arnold's sandwich thin (these are soo delicious).

5pm - Dinner always lots of veggies and lean meat with some brown rice or a small potato or slice of whole wheat bread

7-8pm a small snack, usually some fruit or a bowl of special k with skim milk.

Hope that helps!!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    I can't eat first thing in the morning- makes me sick. I wake up, have a glass of water, rub the sleep out of my eyes and then workout. About half an hour after I work out I eat about 300 cal. Few hours later I eat again. Repeat.

I try to make sure I don't go longer than four hours without eating something. Even if it's just a handful of nuts or four crackers. It keeps my blood sugar level throughout the day and keeps me from getting sleepy in the afternoon.
This discussion has been closed.