Could use a boost!

Options
I find that folks with MFP are good people and love to share....

I'm just back from a hometown visit - and gained weight over the holiday celebration..... My NSV is that I logged every day.

How do you do better at estimating calories for the delicious home cooked meals that you tend to get into. I "must" have underestimated my calorie intake...

any ideas? :noway:

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    good question... I give it my best guess and leave it there. I sometimes add 100 more calories 'just in case'... most times its on MFP. Unless you weigh it, cook it and serve it yourself, you wont know exactly how many cals it has.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I also tend to look through the list that is given when you type in the food in and use the one with the most calories. Better to over estimate than under estimate.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have this problem all the time, especially as my family all cook traditional foods that I couldn't find recipes for, let alone find them on MFP.

I try to input the ingredients (or the closest equivalent on MFP), picking the most calorific options and then usually add sunflower oil if I know it's fried or stewed.
  • willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult I agree, thats why I try to avoid situations where I dont know what Im eating. Obviously this cant always be done, but it can be minimised
  • Trishajac
    Trishajac Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I also tend to look through the list that is given when you type in the food in and use the one with the most calories. Better to over estimate than under estimate.

I agree... I'm guesing I underestimated.... should have chosen the higher numbers!