Can you ever change your 'body shape?'

Options
Hey guys, just looking for people with progress pictures/stories and/or opinions!

I think I'm apple shaped, as I carry my excess weight around my tummy.

After losing 54lbs, my body is still the same shape, just a lot smaller and firmer.

However, my belly and love handles are so out of proportion to the rest of my body! And I'm starting to feel that no matter what I do I'll always look this way...and will never have a 'bikini' figure no matter how much effort I put in.

I'm happy in myself and I'm a confident girl, I don't hate my body or anything like that, I think everyone should love and appreciate the body they were born with in order to be generally happy, I just want to know if it is possible to ever have a flat tummy with curves after having a muffin top with love handles for years (love handles stick out and are very noticeable!) :smile:

I've been working out for the last two years and I walk every day. My problem has been unhealthy weekend eating habits. Could this be to blame for my 'apple' shape or am I destined to end up like my mum and all of my aunties who are very wide in the stomach and arms?

xxxx

Replies

• amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump!
    i've always been wondering about this
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes you can change your body shape depending on your exercise. Since doing Pilates with the JM DVD's I've noticed a huge change. Heres a link for a little bit of fun!
    http://www.shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape.html
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes it will take a while so be patient.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yes you can change your body shape depending on your exercise. Since doing Pilates with the JM DVD's I've noticed a huge change. Heres a link for a little bit of fun!

^ Thank you so much! According to this, I have a 'straight' body shape as I have an undefined waist and my bust and hips are balanced & lower legs are best asset :tongue: Sounds about right...I was convinced I was an 'apple'! x
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Start using weights and upping when body feels ready. You will notice a change, good luck!
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options

^ Thank you so much! According to this, I have a 'straight' body shape as I have an undefined waist and my bust and hips are balanced & lower legs are best asset :tongue: Sounds about right...I was convinced I was an 'apple'! x

I'm straight body shape too!
  • oouurr__aayylleeyycan
    Options
    Adding some strength training will change your body shape. I've seen results pics from people who have done BodyPump classes and other similar strength training workouts alongside their usual cardio, and the changes have been immense. x
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!

I did 30 Day Shred last year and completely changed the shape of my body~ so much so that I even "looked" taller!!

I am another JM fan and am currently doing Body Revolution and in Week 3~ and sure enough, the changes are a-coming!!

As for how long it will take your body to "change"~ well, the 30 Day Shred took......well, ya know......
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can change your body to an extent. You can cut fat by starting to lift heavy weights (where you would fail at 8-12) and eating closer to maintenance. Or even start eating at a surplus to stimulate the growth of muscle. But if it's your stomach that is having issues, you definitely want to start lifting. In fact, you can cut cardio our completely if it's not necessary to your goals (like running a marathon). This biggest thing that you need to do is look at your calories. It's possible to go out and have fun and still be smart. If you go to a restaurant, look for a healthier option like chicken or fish and instead of fries ask for a salad or a veggie. Also, a question will come into play if you are eating enough calories to cut the fat. Under eating will preserve your body fat as it's the quickest source of energy (commonly found in those eating 1200 calories). At this point, it's all about making smart decisions.

For example, below is a forum member I was working with. She is 36 years old, 5'5" and weighed 154. She used to eat 1400 calories and did a lot of cardio (running, etc). I changed that for 12 weeks where she ate 2100 calories on lifting days and 1800 calories on off days. She did 4 days of strength training and NO cardio. Below is her result.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

Now in terms of fat burning, below is a study that was done that shows ST has more benefits than cardio for FAT loss, not to say cardio doesn't have it's place. But since you are trouble areas and fat is what you want to cut, i am giving you the options.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • Arani70
    Arani70 Posts: 84
    Options

LOL my results were "unavailable" the website said it does not know my body shape so I must have a weird one haha
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think you can improve it to an extent and make the best of what you have, eg for a pear shape working the shoulders / upper body to balance out the hips, for an apple shape bulk up the legs and trim the waist, however no amount of exercise will change the basic shape that's down to genetics.
    If you are an apple shape, you will always be bigger around the middle even if you are athletic and toned, you will never have a tiny waist, but you will probably have fabulous legs so emphasise those!
    A straight body shape will never have big boobs / hips.
    A pear shape like me will never have thin thighs or a small butt, however have a pretty good waist and upper body, even at my smallest (size 10 / us 6) I was still much bigger on my bottom half.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    This is very motivating! I'm definitely an apple shape and carry most of my weight in my stomach and upper body. I've been working more intense strength training sessions in to start building muscles and losing fat. I'd love to be able to take a Body Pump class, I've heard they're great!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I sure did.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can change. After two years I'm sure you probably need a workout makeover. Try these dvds. Jillian Michael 30 day shred, Jillain Michael 30 day ripped. Marie Windsor Lower Body Pilates, Men's Health dvds, Rodney Yee's Yoga for beginners, and finally books Body for Life by Bill Phillips and "The Complete Book of Abs. I used all of the these programs and changed ever four weeks. In November I weighed 200 lbs and wore size 38 pants. This morning I weighed in at 165 lbs and have a size 30 waist. Not bad for a 46 year old huh. Good luck and God bless.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights. That is how you change your body composition.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Huh I thought I was an apple too but nope I am a straight and yup does fit....and nope no idea about the love handles, trying JM dvds as soon as they come in and I have been doing some oblique work.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You can change the appearance of your shape. For example I'm a pear. I'll always be a pear, but through far loss and working on making my shoulders wider through lifting evening out my appearance.
  • littlebutcurvy
    Options
    bump x
  • goldair23
    Options

Ooh that's so cool! I'm an 'hourglass' which I'd kind of already worked out, it's fun though! Is there one where you put in aaall your measurements and it shows exactly what you look like? xo
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Since when can you turn an apple into an hourglass or a pear into an apple? I was under the impression that your body type will always be your body type, regardless of how heavy or thin you are.